Whatcha eatin'? 9/8/16

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dawgluver

Chef Extraordinaire
Had a hankerin' for tuna noodle casserole, with those good Amish egg noodles. DH has already had 3 helpings.

How about you?

A cheeseburger and a gigantic Claussen dill pickle!

I tried this Huy Fong ketchup that I found on a special offer at the local Aldi! :yum:
81gT7eA96EL._SL1500_.jpg

Z

Huy Fong Sriracha Ketchup 20oz

I love mussels too.

We had homemade ricotta-mozzarella stuffed shells with homemade red sauce, both from the freezer. To go with, I made a yeast-based monkey bread with fresh oregano and basil with chopped garlic and parm

Rummaging through the fridge and pantry this afternoon, I saw that I had some broccoli, a couple of potatoes, and some half and half that needed used. It became a cream of broccoli/potato soup, and turned out really tasty for a throw together meal. I was lazy and didn't even bother to toast some garlic bread, but saltines worked. Looking forward to leftovers for lunch tomorrow. :yum:

Attachments

• Cream of Broccoli and Potato Soup.jpg
    Cream of Broccoli and Potato Soup.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 228
Last edited:
Ohh, that soup looks good Cheryl!

SC made some over the top glorified salads with odds and ends of previously prepped veggies from the week and we killed off the leftover Piccadillo.

Nice soup, Cheryl! I'm a huge broccoli soup fan.

Aunt Bea, I saw one lone bottle of the same sriracha ketchup at my little grocery store this morning, and was extremely tempted to add it to my cart. Apparently quite popular here.

Easy Salmon with Lemon and Capers

Recipe is here

It was glorious. Fresh caught salmon was on sale, so I bought it instead of farm-raised. Wow. What a difference! Will never go back.

Recipe is awesome too. And soooo easy.

Sorry no pictures, we were too busy gobbling it up!

Dad went to the Base in Grand Forks to refill 'scripts and get groceries. While he was gone, I got to work in the kitchen without someone looking over my shoulder and saying "we don't eat that." Or, walking through the kitchen to get coffee or a piece of toast. So today I made waffles for the freezer for when I'm back in ON taking care of details related to my house and my brother's estate (waffles are one of Mom's favorites for breakfast), a breakfast casserole with croutons, cheese, zucchini, green pepper, sausage, 3 cheeses, and eggs, (Dad thinks that should be a lunch dish). Flora's Peach Cream Pie, and apple pie (put that in the freezer to be baked later), and pot roast, potatoes, and carrots for dinner. All in all, it was a fun day in the kitchen. I also cleaned the kitchen floor and changed Mom and got her to color her Pooh coloring book. And then after unloading the car, I made a run to the dump and missed hitting a deer. Going to the dump is an outing for me. I am still arguing with Dad about having the caregivers cook--really, you want to pay someone to make a loaf of bread for $20/hr? I would rather they fold laundry, clean floors, and vacuum. I want kitchen time!!!

I made quesadillas with previously grilled chicken that I had spirited away in the freezer for just such an occasion. Shredded the meat and mixed it with a bit of salsa verde to keep it moist. I put fresh tomato and avocado into mine (it's trying to escape!), while Himself had it with just tomato. Colby-Jack cheese in both of them, too. Sides were corn two-ways. I almost obeyed the recipe from Serious Eats for Esquites, subbing parley for the cilantro and queso fresco for the cojita cheese. First time making it and Himself really loved it! I also made a Mexican tomato and corn salad from what I could remember of the recipe from Mel's Kitchen. No cilantro here, either. Rather, I had some fresh basil. Used Penzeys "Arizona Dreaming" instead of salt/pepper/sugar. Also completely forgot the lime add-ins, just used a tiny bit of olive oil. It must have been good, too, since both corn dishes are "all gone". :yum:

Attachments

• 2016-09-08 22.09.33.jpg
    2016-09-08 22.09.33.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 130
I'm still in Michigan - will be going home today - and my mom and I spent last night at my FIL's, since it's closer to the airport, and gives me a chance to check in on him. So last night, we went to dinner at the clubhouse of one of the local golf courses. I had fried perch for the third time this week :yum: It was very good. Mom ordered the same thing. They serve 10 pieces in an order, so we're both having it for breakfast, too :LOL: My FIL had half a rack of ribs. The mashed potatoes were bland, but they were great with the gravy.

Thank you, Kay and Dawg. I too love broccoli soup - especially since I found that a couple or three shakes of cayenne pepper really kicks it up a notch. Not enough to make it hot, but just to add a little something extra.

CG - great looking and sounding dinner. I LOVE quesadillas, they're one of my go-to's. The Mexican Tomato and Corn Salad looks delish, I'll have to try that - and the other one you posted as well. I'd have to make sure I have the cilantro, though. ;-) I just love corn anything.

Cakepoet - very nice looking chicken pot pie!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom