Whatcha eatin', Saturday, July 19th, 2008?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

buckytom

Chef Extraordinaire
since the aussies and kiwis are probably already into it, i'm starting the saturday "what's fer" thread. can't let them get too far ahead, you know.

so, what's fer dinner today?

i have to work until 4pm, so i'll probably grill some animal part when i get home. there's chicken breasts, tenders, and legs. and there's some pork chops in the fridge as well.
i'm hoping to be able to pick the first corn from my garden, and i saw a bunch of snap peas that were getting big, and fat, and crunchy.

i also bought some boneless beef short ribs, of which i was thinking of making them braised in red wine, and cooked with carrots, turnips, thyme, and parsley from the garden. i'll put it in the slow cooker, for dinner sunday or monday.

:chef:

looks like a feast is in store for your family.As for me,i still havent decided.its one of those lazy unhappening days for me,when u r bored to death and u dont wanna do anything at all,just sit back and watch tv or lie down in bed and read something.But thats just a dream for me with 2 small kids.lol.Well maybe i will eventually muster up courage to finally go into the kitchen,and cook some chicken and rice pilaff,with some tomato,onion and cucumber salad,and maybe some mashed turnips to eat with flat bread.

*yawn* it's only been saturday for 3 minutes, so no thinking about tomorrow's dinner till at least 12 hours from now!

buckytom said:
since the aussies and kiwis are probably already into it, i'm starting the saturday "what's fer" thread. can't let them get too far ahead, you know.
Thank you Tom, that's very thoughtful of you, at the time of this post it's 5pm here and 7pm over there and I have absolutely no idea what we will be having for dinner. The two boys have gone fishing [again] and there's another Mackerel comp. on [again] up in the Whitsundays this time and the weather is absolutely perfect.
Rump steak or Bacon and Eggs or an Omelet or even Vegemite on toast are on the short list, nothing flash for us pair.
------------------------
The Omelets failed in to scrambled eggs

Last edited:
Grilled corn on the cob and country style ribs. And something else to round it out.

why do I suddenly feel like Cracker Barrel?:ohmy:
dinner, who knows, gotta hit the lunch scene with a certain person first.
waiting waiting waiting..........................oh phooey, I can't wait!:LOL:
sooooooooo excited!

tonight will be whatever restaurant I can get a cab to.
I'd love a salad Nicoise

Turkey burgers stuffed with cheese and black olives smoked on the Big green egg and roasted fries.

It is very hot and humid here so I am planning on a cold salad platter with all the fixings. Salmon, eggs, green beans, beets, chick peas, cukes, tomato, peas, potato and of course some green lettuce. Crusty bread and strawberry sundaes for dessert.

either going to smoke some ribs and try a new sauce that i have been
wanting to make ..
or going to try my hand at grilling a pizza ...
need to figure it out soon ..

going with the baby back ribs .. with a caribbean sauce on it ..
and some roasted red potatoes ..
corn on the cob ..

Last edited:
I just finished pulling my pork with much love:heart::LOL:its now in the crockpot with some bbq sauce. I made slaw yesturday and thats in the fridge gettin happy happy;)
Still need to ride to the produce stand and see what looks good, maybe corn on the cob
no dessert planned yet:neutral:

q, you just reminded me that i have some new sauces to try. i received a gift of a sampler of hoboken eddie's sauces for father's day.

special.jpg

i think i'll try them on chicken tonight.

BT, those sauces are excellent. A tad pricey, but it's worth it. Do not, I repeat, DO NOT serve those to someone who accepts Kraft BBQ sauce as something that tastes good. LOL

Try the wing sauce too. I usually make half BBQ, half wing sauce wings on the barbie.

Our dear friends, Bernard and Annita, talked me into coming to their home for tonight's meal. It'll be kind of early for me since they live 30 miles away and I can't drive at night. I'll have to leave their place just before 8 to get home before it gets dark. I'll probably leave here late afternoonish. Wish we lived closer.

They're our bestest friends whom we used to spend time with and cook together, laugh and goof off. I'm bringing a loaf of N.Y. Times bread that I've added roasted garlic and chopped fresh rosemary to. Didn't want to arrive empty handed.

Other than the bread, I don't know what's on the menu. They're both fabulous cooks so I know whatever it is, it'll be good. Mention was made of cheesecake for dessert. I should probably have dessert first in that case.

Ugh...it's 249 degrees out, so all I can do is cook.

So far I made my eggplant prototype. I made some chili oil and now my nose keeps running. I just made some brats with onions and beer for lunch. I'm making fresh pasta for ravioli tomorrow.....I'm not sure what's for dinner yet. :ermm:

That bread sounds good, Katie.
I'd like to attempt NYT bread again, but I can never think a day ahead of when I may want some.

Our dear friends, Bernard and Annita, talked me into coming to their home for tonight's meal. It'll be kind of early for me since they live 30 miles away and I can't drive at night. I'll have to leave their place just before 8 to get home before it gets dark. I'll probably leave here late afternoonish. Wish we lived closer.

They're our bestest friends whom we used to spend time with and cook together, laugh and goof off. I'm bringing a loaf of N.Y. Times bread that I've added roasted garlic and chopped fresh rosemary to. Didn't want to arrive empty handed.

Other than the bread, I don't know what's on the menu. They're both fabulous cooks so I know whatever it is, it'll be good. Mention was made of cheesecake for dessert. I should probably have dessert first in that case.

oh Katie, that sounds excellent. I hope you have a wonderful time and enjoy yourself.

Just me again and I am doing a variation on last nights supper..

peaches and cream, lightly sprinkeled with vanilla sugar, and hidden under that, a fresh homemade ww brownie:cool:

and did i mention that i am making some vanilla ice cream?....that was the original purpose for the brownies;)

No cooking for me today - going to a bday party - catered - beef, fried chicken, chicken vesuvio and potatoes, baked pasta and pasta with vodka sauce - cake for dessert of course - I'll roll out of there!:ROFLMAO:

I have no earthly idea!! Dd and grands are coming here to spend the night as we leave tomorrow to spend a week in a cabin in Southern Ohio. (It's going to be bittersweet this year as it's been a family tradition for over 30 years. My uncle who started this passed away one year ago, my grandmother who passed away one month ago and my mom who has dementia and is wheelchair bound won't be there. I'm thinking this will be our last year....) Maybe we'll just order pizza and have a salad of some sort, go for a quick swim and be done with it. lol

Barb

BT, I want those sauces of yours. I'll take a thimble vial of each.
MM have a blast at your party, kiss that little one for me.
Katie, I wish I could go with you to that dinner. Your good friends and you will enjoy the day for sure, the bread was a winner of an idea. It can't be beat.
BZ, you're killing me! How good does that sound? YUMMO!
Still I have no idea what or where I'm near but will worry about that much later in the day.

All of you stay as cool as possible.

Back
Top Bottom