Whatcha Eatin' Tonight? Monday, Oct 6th, 2014

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tonight I made my first ever sweet 'n sour pork over rice. Everything was from scratch except I used a packet of Sunbird brand Sweet and Sour Mix. It came out very delicious. The strips of pork weren't breaded like in some restaurants, but the packet recipe had me marinate the pork strips in some cornstarch, water and soy sauce and it thickened up on the pork strips nicely before frying them up in a 10" fry pan with a bit of oil (I don't own a wok, I used to). I stir fried up some bell peppers, carrots and onions, added some pineapple chunks. I don't mind the packet mix at all with the easy directions. It came out very authentic tasting.

My only minor concern was when using my recently bought Emiril 10"cast iron preseasoned frying pan. I only needed one tablespoon of oil in the pan and I noticed the oil receded away from the center somewhat and collected around the edges. It's like it had a slightly raised center or something. This wouldn't matter probably if I used more than just a tablespoon of oil, so I don't think it's a big deal.

Everything at dinner was roasted in the oven. We had Brussels sprouts, cauliflower, Yukon potatoes, and almost-bacon. It really was ham, but Himself called it almost-bacon since he likes it nearly as much as he likes bacon.

We also finished up the last of the Guinness chocolate cake. No more dessert around here until after my doctor's visit next Monday. :LOL:

Attachments

• 2014-10-06 21.19.36.jpg
    2014-10-06 21.19.36.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 156
Looks delicious Rocklobster! Mind sharing you recipe?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Discuss Cooking mobile app
Sure. It is a pretty classic recipe. I start with some meaty short ribs, brown them in oil in a heavy oven proof pot. Then, I turn the stove down a bit and take them out when they are browned. I add butter, garlic, onion, carrot and celery to the pot and saute that until they become soft and start to brown a bit. 5 - 10 minutes. Deglaze the pot with a couple of liberal glugs of red wine, throw in a couple of bay leaves, black pepper, stir for a while, and get that simmering until the wine reduces to half. Add a good tablespoon of tomato paste and stir that up. I put the ribs back in, on top of the mix, bone side down, and add beef stock/broth until the liquid is about half way to 2/3's up. I don't submerge the ribs in the cooking liquid. That is stewing. Then, I cover and put in a pre heated 300-325 oven for about 2 hours. At this point I take it out and check it, baste the ribs, and add some thyme. Return it to the oven and, depending on the size of the meat pieces, I go for another half an hour or an hour. This part is up to you to check the pieces and see if they are done enough. The meat should pull apart easily with a fork. That is pretty much it. If you want, you can take the ribs out and skim the fat, add more stock if it is too thick or reduce a bit if it is too thin....spoon sauce on the ribs and chow down,,,,,,:yum:

You can check the ribs once or twice to make sure the liquid isn't reducing too much. If it is, add a bit more beef stock to bring it back up to half way up the ribs.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom