Whatcha gonna make - Jake? (Dinner Friday, Jan 20)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alix

Everymom
Moderator Emeritus
Well I got a great deal on a sirloin tip roast so that will be the main part of dinner. I am toying with the idea of a crust or not.

Sides will be roasted potatoes, onions and carrots, homemade biscuits and a cooked veggie as yet unnamed. Salad will be caesar with real bacon and parm.

I have to decide on dessert now too. I'm thinking (I know this will surprise you) about a lemon pie. I hate meringue, but I could probably do it this once. Either that or I'll do a chocolate peanut butter pie.

Here's what I'm gonna fix, Alix.

Actually, nothing. We are no longer cooking prior to leaving for vacation early Sunday morning. Tonight is take-out. I'm pushing for KFC. I love fried chicken but SO is in full salad mode leading up to vacation. We'll see.

mmmm... KFC...
The town store has fried chicken down to an art. That doesn't sound like a bad idea. I might just stay in today though. If I do I'll probably steam some crab legs for dinner.

You are leaving Sunday morning? Egads man!

You gonna be settled somewhere afore the big game?

No question! We arrive around 1:00 PM Aruba time which is 12:00 Noon EST. The game is at 4:00 Aruba time. I'll be in place in front of the TV, much to SO's chagrin. Perhaps I'll have a rum drink to help with the transition.

It's a little tighter at the other end. We arrive home around 5:30 PM on Super Bowl Sunday. Gotta rush home.

I don't exactly know yet. DW is up north this weekend with my SIL to visit our kids at college (and I swear I heard the words "outlet mall" so I have a hunch there will be plenty o'shopping involved, too.)

So it's just me and the dog in a big empty house.

I got a new Asian cookbook from Amazon in the mail yesterday. Along with football on the tube, it may be a weekend of experimenting with new ingredients in the kitchen. :chef:

mmmm... KFC...
The town store has fried chicken down to an art. That doesn't sound like a bad idea. I might just stay in today though. If I do I'll probably steam some crab legs for dinner.

Um...what time is dinner? I'll bring the roast and fixin's and we can do surf and turf.

I picked up a bunch of different cheeses at the specialty cheese shop in Ottawa. I'm thinking a pasta with fresh basil, garlic, goat cheese, pancetta...maybe some frozen peas for colour....not sure yet. I also have one slice of leftover cabbage roll meatloaf (I think I've stretched my cabbage roll ideas to the max this week with the soup and the meatloaf). Time to move onto something else. And, I hope to make sausage tomorrow. I'll prep the meat tonight by cubing it, and grind and stuff tomorrow.

DH was sent home early from his morning driving job (roads are sheets of ice!) but still has to go to his evening one so I am sending him with the last of the chicken cacciatore from Monday.

My throat is still feeling like razor blades so I am sticking to things that go down okay - some soup I got from the Organic Store (guaranteed to cure what ails ya according to my friend who works there) - Cashew Ginger Carrot! It is really soothing. I will probably have some egg salad (no bread) to go with it and a banana/soy ice cream/almond milk shake for lunch.

I am enjoying all these things but can't wait to dive into some food I actually need to chew! :rolleyes:

First meal from my new cookbook: Sze Chuen Jar Gai, or Szechwan Chicken with 15 Peppers. Kinda spicy!

img_1098495_0_1fede4c0c58bc856d19a3664b2017776.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom