Whatcha Got Cookin' Friday Nov 17 2017

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Whiskadoodle

Executive Chef
It's Friday, so it must be steak night. Last week's wish turned out to be broiled walleye with lemon squeegees. Yum.

Getting closer to the real deal today. Andy's sirloin steak tips with onion mushroom gravy. Going to stop at the store for main ingredients on the way over to Dx's where we will put it together. Going to use my Salisbury steak gravy recipe though. Dijon mustard, no tomatoe paste. Made this a dozen million times and just notice today the gravy recipe calls for green peppercorns. What the heck are those? Well, they won't be missed once again .

Dx is going to make mashed taters and Corn (my request) and salad. Double yum

Green peppercorns are peppercorns that are green. Surprise! :huh:

Actually, they are just black peppercorns that aren't fully ripe, and usually aren't dried like black peppercorns.

I think your gravy will be just as good with black peppercorns. You might want to use a little less black peppercorns, since they have a more concentrated flavor. Pepper is usually always added "to taste," anyway.

CD

SO is cooking for GD and me tonight. She made cheddar biscuits and is in the process of making a batch of fish chowder.

Here in the middle of the desert, albeit High Desert,
it's been rainy and cold all day, so, I'm making
Hawaii Style Wonton Mein Deluxe Soup

noodle bowl.jpg
[file photo]

Ling Ling brand Potstickers (not exactly wonton but...)
Yakisoba Noodles (I found in the cold case at the megamart)
Baby Bok Choy
Char Siu aka Chinese BBQ Pork (I find this in S.AZ)
Kamaboko aka Steamed Fish Cake
Sliced Green Onions
Aloha Brand Shoyu or Soy Sauce
a final flourish of thinly sliced Nori (dried Seaweed)
I make the soup base from dried-powdered Dashi from the Japanese market.
Oh, and for dumpling dipping, a dish of shoyu & wasabi as well as garlic chili sauce :yum:

I've not been feeling quite up to par this entire week.
Back home in Hawaii whenever we didn't feel well, a nice bowl of Wonton Mein always made us feel better... Hawaii's version of Chicken Noodle Soup :yum:

**Cook's note: here's what just dawned on me as I "Googled" the terms to link here ... alot of the, I guess, style of Chinese cooking that I've grown up eating and cooking are Cantonese. Alot of the folks in Honolulu are Cantonese :doh: I had to move away for this to all click :wacko: :ermm::LOL:

It wasn't on our menu this week, but we both had difficult days at work, so we made up a quick pasta alla vodka instead of the more complicated dish that was left on our weekly menu list.

Dad's birthday tonight, we went out for dinner. Mom and I had Prime Rib, Dad had Liver and Onions, Shrek had Dilled Salmon. There was gumbo and salad bar. We all had the steamed veg with butter.

Great sounding and looking dinners tonight!

SC did more of his marketing magic:brows: and I wrapped a couple Fillet Mignon in thick bacon, secured with those handy dandy silicone bands. Rolling them around in screaming hot carbon steel skillet did the trick except for the stove splatter mess, but well worth it. They are so thick that we cut them in half on our plate, flat side down, so we can get a slice of cow and a slice of pig with each bite. Ohhh yeah...

The sides were steamed broccolini with spinach and brown and wild rice thanks to Rice R Roni..(very tasty).

Last edited:
Ever been so busy you didn't have time to eat and then when you finally decided to eat, you were too tired to cook anything?

That was me yesterday. I got a new computer last week and before I can set it up (it's still in the box), I had hundreds and hundreds of photos that needed to be uploaded to Photobucket from my desktop. I did the majority of the dollhouse photos yesterday and the day before. Yesterday I worked 9 hours just sorting and uploading photos. All I ate yesterday was a couple of sausages, a peanut butter sandwich, a cheese sandwich, and an apple.

Today I did a little better. This morning I threw some hot dogs and beans in a crock pot along with all the trimmings and had that for supper.

I finished up the dollhouse photos today and tomorrow I start on all the non-dollhouse photos and then I need to hit Best Buy for a couple of thumb drives so I can upload all my music. Then, maybe on Monday, I can finally set my new computer up. WooHoo!

Last edited:
Wednesday at Costco I picked up a 6-pack of genuine prime tenderloin steaks. It was kind of a splurge, but after waiting and waiting to get tires installed - only to find out an hour and a half into the waiting that the wrong tires had been shipped to the warehouse - I wasn't in a good mood, and decided a nice steak might make the day a little better.

Well, I didn't get around to cooking one until tonight, and all I have to say is WOW! Unlike most grocery store tenderloin, this one was actually finely marbled with fat. It was honestly one of the best steaks I've ever eaten, and I eat a lot of steak. It was flavorful, and so tender you could cut it with a fork.

I'm totally impressed with Costco meat.

Wednesday at Costco I picked up a 6-pack of genuine prime tenderloin steaks. It was kind of a splurge, but after waiting and waiting to get tires installed - only to find out an hour and a half into the waiting that the wrong tires had been shipped to the warehouse - I wasn't in a good mood, and decided a nice steak might make the day a little better.

Well, I didn't get around to cooking one until tonight, and all I have to say is WOW! Unlike most grocery store tenderloin, this one was actually finely marbled with fat. It was honestly one of the best steaks I've ever eaten, and I eat a lot of steak. It was flavorful, and so tender you could cut it with a fork.

The primary reason I pay for a COSTCO membership is for the meats. The beef is good, and the pork is great. You can actually get pork that isn't "enhanced" with 15-percent salt water.

CD

Happy Birthday PF's Dad!

I woke up just in time today to hear my son talking about how he found a bottle of balsamic vinegar that I had stashed away when we moved that was older that he was. Apparently, it somehow survived DW's "purge" of my kitchen stuff which included anything old, even unopened jars of honey and wax sealed maple syrup. :neutral:

My wife was about to pour the vinegar down the drain as I sprang from the bed to stop her. It was a regular ol' store bought bottle of balsamic vinegar " di Modena", nothing too special, and the label said that it was bottled in '97.

I'm not sure if it got better in the last 20 years or what, but it was delicious! we had it on salads, then we even drizzled a little on the broiled salmon DW had made for dinner. Then we drizzled some on blue cheese and walnuts that we snacked on later. I'm going to have to go spelunking in the cupboard to see what else survived the great purge of when we moved.

I made pan-seared Alaskan pollock sprinkled with Penzeys Trinidad seasoning, rice medley pilaf, and green beans braised in chicken broth with Penzeys Mural of Flavor and Dried Shallots.
1117172020b.jpg

Funny, we used to look for the meat packages with the least amount of fat, now we are extremely happy when we find a package with plenty of well marbled meat.

Happy Birthday PF's Dad!

I woke up just in time today to hear my son talking about how he found a bottle of balsamic vinegar that I had stashed away when we moved that was older that he was. Apparently, it somehow survived DW's "purge" of my kitchen stuff which included anything old, even unopened jars of honey and wax sealed maple syrup. :neutral:

My wife was about to pour the vinegar down the drain as I sprang from the bed to stop her. It was a regular ol' store bought bottle of balsamic vinegar " di Modena", nothing too special, and the label said that it was bottled in '97.

I'm not sure if it got better in the last 20 years or what, but it was delicious! we had it on salads, then we even drizzled a little on the broiled salmon DW had made for dinner. Then we drizzled some on blue cheese and walnuts that we snacked on later. I'm going to have to go spelunking in the cupboard to see what else survived the great purge of when we moved.

Thanks, BT! He had a good day planting 7 native plum trees, setting up his new chain saw sharpener and we have plans today to use his gift card at Menards so he can start in his bathroom project. He is amazed at how well I know what to get him for presents.

I too, have an overzealous tosser of older bottles in the cupboards.:wacko:

Jeannie was at her monthly "Gossipy Old Ladies Lunch Society" meeting so.... She brought me a cheese burger with fries..

I satisfied my mounting hunger with slices of Dill Havarti cheese w/crackers until she came home..

I baked individual peach cobblers while awaiting her return.. They are delicious.. :yum:

Ross

Back
Top Bottom