Whatcha got cookin', good lookin'? Dinner 10/24/2013

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steve Kroll

Wine Guy
Mrs. K is still out of the country, so it will be leftovers for me again tonight. :neutral:

There is so much food in the fridge that needs to be used up, I hate to make something new. But I think tomorrow I definitely need a night out. :)

Steak tips, egg noodles and iceberg lettuce, wedge salad.

so,having just finished reading trevorh's fantastic thread about crabbing/crab dishes i thought"'arry it's a while since you've had crabs:ohmy:" reaching for my address book i thought "no,you've only just finished the tube of ointment the doc gave you last week" plan b was a visit to frank the fish my friendly fishmonger in tesco.there he stood,resplendant in his white overall clutching a huge chopper.i said "frank put that away,zip up your pants,was yer hands & tell me how much your crabs are" he said "£5 each" i replied "bleedin' 'ell i was a millionaire last week" looking puzzled he said "i've only got two.a male & a female...a cock & a hen,which do you want" i paused,considered my options & how i would deliver my response & you'll be relieved to hear,fellow gastronauts,that i opted for franks hen!!
orkney brown crab with oven fries & garlic mayo.picpoul de pinet colder than my ex wifes' heart....brrrrrrrr

Attachments

• CRAB & CHIPS 001.JPG
    CRAB & CHIPS 001.JPG
    80 KB · Views: 170
  • CRAB & CHIPS 002.jpg
    CRAB & CHIPS 002.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 231
  • CRAB & CHIPS 003.JPG
    CRAB & CHIPS 003.JPG
    102.2 KB · Views: 175
  • CRAB & CHIPS 004.JPG
    CRAB & CHIPS 004.JPG
    100.6 KB · Views: 165
  • CRAB & CHIPS 005.JPG
    CRAB & CHIPS 005.JPG
    99.6 KB · Views: 169
  • CRAB & CHIPS 006.JPG
    CRAB & CHIPS 006.JPG
    99.9 KB · Views: 175
  • CRAB & CHIPS 008.JPG
    CRAB & CHIPS 008.JPG
    94.4 KB · Views: 181
Last edited:
Harry, what exactly ya got going there? It seems your description got... err... *sidetracked* ;)
Is that a crab stuffing that is put back into the shell for serving?

Wedge salad: Take one head of iceberg lettuce, core, slice in half through where core was. Slice each half again. Four wedges. Serves four. :LOL:
It's basically a salad that isn't broken into pieces and retains the crisp, crunchiness iceberg is known for. It looks nice with the dressing drizzled over the wedge.

Harry, what exactly ya got going there? It seems your description got... err... *sidetracked* ;)
Is that a crab stuffing that is put back into the shell for serving?

Wedge salad: Take one head of iceberg lettuce, core, slice in half through where core was. Slice each half again. Four wedges. Serves four. :LOL:
It's basically a salad that isn't broken into pieces and retains the crisp, crunchiness iceberg is known for. It looks nice with the dressing drizzled over the wedge.
blame forty_caliber he said he likes my story boards!!.spot on pac.just opened up the crab,cracked the claws.picked out all of the meat into a bowl,mixed it up & popped it back in the shell.the meat & coral in those orkney crabs is so sweet it doesn't need any seasoning.just the garlic mayo for dipping.can't gild the lilly mate:yum:!!
ah,so that's wedge salad.now that the uk salads are at an end & the spanish/us imports are on the shelves i'll give it a go.lot sweeter than the uk produce 'cos of the sun i guess:cool:

It certainly makes for a nice presentation that way, Harry. Thanks.

We'll have brats and red potato salad tonight. Not sure if I'll get out the grill or just use the oven broiler.

Harry - the original wedge salad was made with blue cheese dressing and crumbled bacon. Very simple but delicious! Of course when you make it at home you can use whatever dressing you want.:yum:

This was cooking earlier.

Attachments

• Steak & Shrimp dinner.jpg
    Steak & Shrimp dinner.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 218
Such yummy looking food Pac and PPO.

I picked up smoked meat sandwiches, potato latkes, and potato knishes from Ablies: Home

Stirling has his lean with mustard; I got medium fatty with no mustard. It's great when they hand cut the smoked meat (smoked, seasoned, brisket that is then steamed).

Wow. I never heard of (I have never seen here around me) a deli that will hand cut what you ask for. Pretty cool. I'd take mine a little fatty, too.

Wow. I never heard of (I have never seen here around me) a deli that will hand cut what you ask for. Pretty cool. I'd take mine a little fatty, too.
The two main smoked meat delis in Montreal are The Main Deli and Schwartz's - Montreal Hebrew Delicatessen - A Montreal Tradition Since 1928. I prefer the smoked meat at The Main and wouldn't eat any other smoked meat until I tried the stuff at Abies. Turns out that the owners are relatives/have worked at The Main and Schwartz's. All three of those places make their own smoked meat. All three of those places hand cut the smoked meat. It's a Montreal thing. ;)

Birth of the Smoked Meat - Trailer - YouTube

I remember when Peter, the owner of The Main, the guy in this video was still perfecting his smoked meat, back in the '70s.

I miss traditions. I'm betting pretty soon the only deli by me will be in the grocery store meat dept.

Outstanding pics, Harry, Pac, and PPO! And looks like everyone else is having some good stuff!

I'm making broccoli beer cheese soup, just realized the only beer we have is Coors Light....

Back
Top Bottom