Originally Posted by CWS4322
I dug the first potatoes from the garden, have celery, onion, carrots, beans, kohlrabi, zucchini, and broccoli. Oh, and bok choy up the ying-yang.
I'm making my version of this:
Kikuchan's Potato-Crab Salad Recipe - Allrecipes.com
It will be a meal-by-itself and will be served on a bed of red lettuce (also from the garden).
So my version of this is:
1. Boil potatoes in their skins. Dunk in ice water.
2. Remove from ice water, chop, and toss with 2 T vinegar and 2 tsp of freshly chopped parsley.
While the potatoes are boiling, hardboil 3 eggs--2 for the salad, 1 for garnish.
Run out to the garden and gather 1 medium onion, enough celery to make 1/4 cup, 2-3 carrots large enough for grating--mine were about 6-7 inches long and 1 inch in diameter.
3. Grate 1 jalapeno pepper.
4. Combine 3/4 c homemade mayo with 1/4 c buttermilk, 1 hefty tsp of Mrs. McGarrity's lemon-dill mustard (the kind with seeds in it), freshly ground pepper, 1/2 tsp sugar. 1 T freshly chopped dill, 1 T freshly chopped parsley, 1/4 tsp sour salt. Taste and adjust seasonings. Set aside.
5. Add 2 T fresh lemon juice to the crabmeat, set aside.
6. Run back out to the garden and get 1 c bush beans, clean, and steam until tender. Drain and cool.
7. Combine the jalapeno pepper, grated carrot, onion, chopped onion top (about 1/4 of it). green beans, celery, grated carrot in a bowl. Add potatoes. Add 1/2 of the dressing. Taste.
8. Drain lemon juice from the crabmeat.
9. Fold the crabmeat into the potato mixture. Taste. Add more lemon zest.
10. Add 2 of the hb eggs, sliced, to the mix. Fold those in gently. Taste, add more of the dressing if desired.
8. Cover with plastic wrap and chill for 1-4 hours. Serve on a bed of garden lettuce garnished with the remaining hb egg, green onion tops.
It was a gorgeous salad--but now I have to find the manual for my camera. Something is not working....thought I fixed that. Maybe the batteries are low...