"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 09-03-2014, 07:50 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I made tuna salad. We had it on toasted spelt/khorasan, sourdough bread.

Old 09-03-2014, 08:12 PM   #12
Head Chef

I was thinking of heating up some of that delicious beef stew I made last week for the first time.
I poured some into a soup bowl lined with plastic wrap, then froze it. I've got to figure out a better method of freezing and reheating my frozen beef stew. It's too bulky microwaving it in that shape. I need to put it in something flatter. Hell, it looked the shape of a bowling ball cut in half. It got kinda mushy trying to heat it up. I want to maybe use the oven next time to heat it up. Also, shouldn't I freeze it up more flat so it reheats better? I need to figure something out with regards to that. Perhaps freeze it in a vacuum bag, then boil it in the bag. At least it will be in a flatter shape and maybe not come out so mushy.

Old 09-03-2014, 08:18 PM   #13
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caslon View Post
I was thinking of heating up some of that delicious beef stew I made last week for the first time.
I poured some into a soup bowl lined with plastic wrap, then froze it. I've got to figure out a better method of freezing and reheating my frozen beef stew. It's too bulky microwaving it in that shape. I need to put it in something flatter. Hell, it looked the shape of a bowling ball cut in half. It got kinda mushy trying to heat it up. I want to maybe use the oven next time to heat it up. Also, shouldn't I freeze it up more flat so it reheats better? I need to figure something out with regards to that. Perhaps freeze it in a vacuum bag, then boil it in the bag. At least it will be in a flatter shape and maybe not come out so mushy.
You could freeze it flat in a conventional zip lock bag and then thaw it overnight in the refrigerator or on the counter in a bowl of water. The boil in bag would be great but, aren't they kind of pricey.
Old 09-03-2014, 08:32 PM   #14
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
You could freeze it flat in a conventional zip lock bag and then thaw it overnight in the refrigerator or on the counter in a bowl of water. The boil in bag would be great but, aren't they kind of pricey.
Doh! I didn't think to thaw it overnight! I keep thinking here and now. Thawing it overnight would solve the mushy problem too. Thanks! Also, the bag idea is good too as I could freeze up in a flatter shape. At 40 cents for a gallon vacuum bag, I could live with that expenditure for my beef stew.

Sorry, didn't mean to halt the flow here.
Old 09-03-2014, 08:58 PM   #15
Sous Chef

I defrosted some left over unstuffed cabbage stoup. Serve with rice. Not glamorous but nobody will starve.
Old 09-03-2014, 09:20 PM   #16
Master Chef

I started with supper last night by making potato salad. A lot of potato salad. As in "family reunion size" potato salad. There are two of us.

We're having grilled burgers and hot dogs, some of last night's leftover corn and tomato side dish, and *ahem* potato salad. I won't need to cook the rest of the week. Then again, there are days I just NEED to cook.

Decided to celebrate Market Basket's return by getting a pint of Talenti Southern Butter Pecan gelato. I've wanted to splurge on a container ever since someone (Cheryl, I think) mentioned having it. The pecan nut thread mad the flavor choice easy. Plus, Butter Pecan is one of Himself's favorites.
Old 09-03-2014, 09:26 PM   #17
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneohegirlinaz View Post
Turkey Marsala with Spaghetti

Attachment 21797

Turkey Breast that I cut up into cutlets,
a dusting of flour
a little S&P
a quick sauté in some olive oil
transfer to a dish, set aside
brown some crimini mushrooms,
along with some minced garlic and shallots
a decent sized glog dry Marsala wine
reduce
some chicken stock/broth
a goodly sized pat of butter swirled in
add back in the turkey and any collected juices
plate
eat!

... that's what's on the menu from Cucina di K~girl

(pssst, my chefy-gal-pal loved this dish so much, she put it on the menu at her restaurant and sells out every night )
K~Gorl! Would you please, recreate this recipe in the Poultry Forum so the recipe doesn't get lost???

Thanks!
Old 09-03-2014, 09:45 PM   #18
Executive Chef

Barley sandwich...
Old 09-04-2014, 12:38 AM   #19
Master Chef

Tuna melt on rye, and a bowl of watermelon.
Old 09-04-2014, 09:07 AM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

I made Southwest Meatballs with Lime-Cilantro Dipping Sauce and a green salad with corn salsa for the dressing. It was okay. I need to tweak the recipes for some more flavor. My mom spent the night because she had dental work with sedation yesterday, so she had some of my homemade chicken broth and Greek yogurt with honey.

Tags
cook, cooking