Whatch'a got cooking ... Welsh Rarebit day (2014-09-03)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CWS4322

Chef Extraordinaire
That's right, another national food holiday you probably didn't mark on the calendar.

I took the leftover "naked oats" and made it into an "Indian" stir fry--kale, cabbage, Swiss Chard, grated carrots, onion, garlic, zucchini, tomato, paneer, methi, curry powder. Very tasty, but no name for it. Side of homemade cucumber raita made with Greek yogurt. Meanwhile, I have to eat that rib steak from Conrad that has been marinating/aging in the fridge since last night...maybe make it later for a steak salad while i'm on site tomorrow...

What jumped out of your fridge for dinner tonight?

I'm making pork chops. Haven't decided if I'll do kadesma's onion sauce or just grill them. Either way we'll have mashed taters with them. Not sure of veggie yet either.

After a marathon day of shopping, I'm just having a couple of Banquet pot pies for dinner. I'm pooped and sore.

I'll get cooking soon, but not today.

We have a leftover pork chop and some leftover taco meat we need to deal with, along with a veritable plethora of cherry toms and green beans.

Turkey Marsala with Spaghetti

April 2013 007.JPG

Turkey Breast that I cut up into cutlets,
a dusting of flour
a little S&P
a quick sauté in some olive oil
transfer to a dish, set aside
brown some crimini mushrooms,
along with some minced garlic and shallots
a decent sized glog dry Marsala wine
reduce
some chicken stock/broth
a goodly sized pat of butter swirled in
add back in the turkey and any collected juices
plate
eat!

... that's what's on the menu from Cucina di K~girl :chef:

(pssst, my chefy-gal-pal loved this dish so much, she put it on the menu at her restaurant and sells out every night :yum:)

I made meatloaf (see how you are influencing me!) and had new potatoes and peas with it. Gravy not required as meatloaf juicy enough.

The meatloaf was OK but not brilliant - a bit bland. It needs more seasoning I think. The texture was good though. Better luck next time.

Then I made my mistake with the pudding.

I like to keep a bottle of maple syrup in my cupboard. Nice on porridge or with natural yoghourt. The last time I ran out I put it on the list. The day I went shopping I hadn't time to go to the health food shop where I usually get it so, noticing it on the s/market shelf, I put a bottle in my shopping trolley. So I decide to have some home made yoghourt with maple syrup after my lunch.

I really should wear my reading glasses when I go shopping. What I thought was Maple Pancake Syrup turned out to be Maple Flavoured Pancake Syrup with "flavoured" in very small type ! Yuck!

Last edited:
I made meatloaf (see how you are influencing me!) and had new potatoes and peas with it. Gravy not required as meatloaf juicy enough.

The meatloaf was OK but not brilliant - a bit bland. It needs more seasoning I think. The texture was good though. Better luck next time.

Then I made my mistake with the pudding.

I like to keep a bottle of maple syrup in my cupboard. Nice on porridge or with natural yoghourt. The last time I ran out I put it on the list. The day I went shopping I hadn't time to go to the health food shop where I usually get it so, noticing it on the s/market shelf, I put a bottle in my shopping trolley. So I decide to have some home made yoghourt with maple syrup after my lunch.

I really should wear my reading glasses when I go shopping. What I thought was Maple Pancake Syrup turned out to be Maple Flavoured Pancake Syrup with "flavoured" in very small type ! Yuck!

I also made a meatloaf for supper. It's called an upside down meatloaf because you put the brown sugar in the bottom of a lightly greased 9x5 inch loaf pan and then a layer of catsup, before you put the meatloaf mixture in the pan. With it we had some mashed potatoes, corn and sliced tomatoes.

I also made a meatloaf for supper. It's called an upside down meatloaf because you put the brown sugar in the bottom of a lightly greased 9x5 inch loaf pan and then a layer of catsup, before you put the meatloaf mixture in the pan. With it we had some mashed potatoes, corn and sliced tomatoes.

We used to make a similar one using a can of whole cranberry sauce for the bottom layer, then ketchup and finally the meatloaf.

Today I have evolved into more of a meatloaf purist. :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I really miss cold meatloaf sandwiches with Russian dressing!

I was thinking of heating up some of that delicious beef stew I made last week for the first time.
I poured some into a soup bowl lined with plastic wrap, then froze it. I've got to figure out a better method of freezing and reheating my frozen beef stew. It's too bulky microwaving it in that shape. I need to put it in something flatter. Hell, it looked the shape of a bowling ball cut in half. It got kinda mushy trying to heat it up. I want to maybe use the oven next time to heat it up. Also, shouldn't I freeze it up more flat so it reheats better? I need to figure something out with regards to that. Perhaps freeze it in a vacuum bag, then boil it in the bag. At least it will be in a flatter shape and maybe not come out so mushy.

Last edited:
I was thinking of heating up some of that delicious beef stew I made last week for the first time.
I poured some into a soup bowl lined with plastic wrap, then froze it. I've got to figure out a better method of freezing and reheating my frozen beef stew. It's too bulky microwaving it in that shape. I need to put it in something flatter. Hell, it looked the shape of a bowling ball cut in half. It got kinda mushy trying to heat it up. I want to maybe use the oven next time to heat it up. Also, shouldn't I freeze it up more flat so it reheats better? I need to figure something out with regards to that. Perhaps freeze it in a vacuum bag, then boil it in the bag. At least it will be in a flatter shape and maybe not come out so mushy.

You could freeze it flat in a conventional zip lock bag and then thaw it overnight in the refrigerator or on the counter in a bowl of water. The boil in bag would be great but, aren't they kind of pricey.

You could freeze it flat in a conventional zip lock bag and then thaw it overnight in the refrigerator or on the counter in a bowl of water. The boil in bag would be great but, aren't they kind of pricey.

Doh! I didn't think to thaw it overnight! I keep thinking here and now. Thawing it overnight would solve the mushy problem too. Thanks! Also, the bag idea is good too as I could freeze up in a flatter shape. At 40 cents for a gallon vacuum bag, I could live with that expenditure for my beef stew.

Sorry, didn't mean to halt the flow here.

Last edited:
I defrosted some left over unstuffed cabbage stoup. Serve with rice. Not glamorous but nobody will starve.

I started with supper last night by making potato salad. A lot of potato salad. As in "family reunion size" potato salad. There are two of us. :ermm:

We're having grilled burgers and hot dogs, some of last night's leftover corn and tomato side dish, and *ahem* potato salad. :LOL: I won't need to cook the rest of the week. Then again, there are days I just NEED to cook.

Decided to celebrate Market Basket's return by getting a pint of Talenti Southern Butter Pecan gelato. I've wanted to splurge on a container ever since someone (Cheryl, I think) mentioned having it. The pecan nut thread mad the flavor choice easy. Plus, Butter Pecan is one of Himself's favorites.

Turkey Marsala with Spaghetti

View attachment 21797

Turkey Breast that I cut up into cutlets,
a dusting of flour
a little S&P
a quick sauté in some olive oil
transfer to a dish, set aside
brown some crimini mushrooms,
along with some minced garlic and shallots
a decent sized glog dry Marsala wine
reduce
some chicken stock/broth
a goodly sized pat of butter swirled in
add back in the turkey and any collected juices
plate
eat!

... that's what's on the menu from Cucina di K~girl :chef:

(pssst, my chefy-gal-pal loved this dish so much, she put it on the menu at her restaurant and sells out every night :yum:)

K~Gorl! Would you please, recreate this recipe in the Poultry Forum so the recipe doesn't get lost???

Thanks!

I made Southwest Meatballs with Lime-Cilantro Dipping Sauce and a green salad with corn salsa for the dressing. It was okay. I need to tweak the recipes for some more flavor. My mom spent the night because she had dental work with sedation yesterday, so she had some of my homemade chicken broth and Greek yogurt with honey.

Back
Top Bottom