Whatcha Got for the Pot, Dinner 13 Feb 2012.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:LOL: I came up with cheeseburger wraps one evening when we wanted cheeseburgers but were out of buns. I brown broken up ground beef. Then I put a couple slices of American cheese on a flour tortilla, spoon on some ground beef, then we add whatever we feel like adding, such as shredded lettuce, chopped tomato, chopped onion, pickle slices, ketchup, and mustard, then "wrap." :cool:

That's a great idea. Now I want one.

My local grocery store had the liver on sale. They usually stock fresh beef liver but only have calves liver frozen. This was "fresh" calves liver. Somehow that meant it was frozen too, though not in those paper thin, fanned out slices they have over in the freezer case.

It was horrible. The texture was like it had been frozen and thawed several times. Poofy and spongy in spots. The flavor was ok but not what I wanted.

Lesson learn, things not to buy at the grocery store:

1) Fish (any)
2) Liver

Go to the good store for that stuff. :)

My local grocery store had the liver on sale. They usually stock fresh beef liver but only have calves liver frozen. This was "fresh" calves liver. Somehow that meant it was frozen too, though not in those paper thin, fanned out slices they have over in the freezer case.

It was horrible. The texture was like it had been frozen and thawed several times. Poofy and spongy in spots. The flavor was ok but not what I wanted.

Lesson learn, things not to buy at the grocery store:

1) Fish (any)
2) Liver

Go to the good store for that stuff. :)

I once bought frozen beef liver. It was so awful that the dog wouldn't eat it. :LOL:

Costco. If you don't have a membership, stop by my place next time you head for Montreal and I'll bring you.

Thanks. Girlfriend's sister is gaga over Costco. I get her to grab me a jar of seafood salad every time she goes. I have only been a couple of times. Planning a trip to Montreal in the next couple of months for a couple of days. Any restaurant recomendations? Regional stuff? There is one place I like down on Cresent Street. Other than that, I just guess..... Speaking of trips in Quebec I would love to take a tour on that Flavor Trail in the Charlevoix region.

I was starved, having to fast a day and a half for a medical test. I ate out A&W for their breakfast menu (sausage and egger, two hash browns, coffee, orange juice, then another hash brown).

For dinner DH and I had great fun making tacos. I got some ground sirloin on special and did the whole kilo up as taco meat, freezing packs for hubby's work dinners. We had guac, black olives, tomatoes, Newman's Own Tequila Lime salsa (gluten free! and profits to charity, not to mention it tastes great!), old cheddar for me and dairy/soy free jalapeno "cheese" for DH.

They were awesome!:yum: Hopefully this means my no appetite days are over...I had two really stuffed hard shell tacos and a large taco salad!

Thanks. Girlfriend's sister is gaga over Costco. I get her to grab me a jar of seafood salad every time she goes. I have only been a couple of times. Planning a trip to Montreal in the next couple of months for a couple of days. Any restaurant recomendations? Regional stuff? There is one place I like down on Cresent Street. Other than that, I just guess..... Speaking of trips in Quebec I would love to take a tour on that Flavor Trail in the Charlevoix region.

Not that up-to-date on Montreal restos. I like Arahova for Greek, Mr. Falafel for Middle Eastern - the food is great, but the ambience really sucks. I like Shahi Palace for Pakistani/Indian food, but again the food is great, but the ambience isn't so great. It used to be better, but they seem to have focused on take out. On the West Island, Abies is darned good for smoked meat and in town, "La Main" (across the street from Schwartz's) has great smoked meat and a pretty good rib steak. They are also open 24 hours. The ambience is, well, uhm, interesting.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom