"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 02-13-2012, 10:18 AM   #1
Master Chef

Site Administrator

Whatcha Got for the Pot, Dinner 13 Feb 2012.

I bought some calf liver yesterday but since we went out for Ethiopian I didn't want to make a big meal too late.

So tonight it is liver with red onion. Mashed taters, some green beans and a salad.

What do you have for your pot today?

Old 02-13-2012, 10:21 AM   #2
Senior Cook

Location: Central Kentucky---Where The Bluegrass Meets The Mountains
Shrimp & Sausage in beer; rice; stir-fried bok choy.

Old 02-13-2012, 10:24 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Hamburge Onion Pie

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 10:27 AM   #4
Executive Chef

I have some mussels and clams leftover from last night and lots of juice from the pot also. I will add some shrimp and make a seafood chowder, with crusty bread, some kind of salad.
Old 02-13-2012, 10:33 AM   #5
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
That's a good one. I seem to remember this one popping up last year? Anyway, I made it and it was a big winner. I just wish burger would go for a decent price around here. It never goes on sale and I hate paying bloated prices for meat. I usually buy my meat when it is on sale every week. Burger never seems to go on sale. I pass hundreds of cows every day on my way around the valley, but I can't get decent priced ground beef. Frustrating the way things work.
Old 02-13-2012, 10:39 AM   #6
Master Chef

You guys got me going. Portagee bean soup. But I really want FrankZs supper.
Old 02-13-2012, 10:42 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster View Post
That's a good one. I seem to remember this one popping up last year? Anyway, I made it and it was a big winner. I just wish burger would go for a decent price around here. It never goes on sale and I hate paying bloated prices for meat. I usually buy my meat when it is on sale every week. Burger never seems to go on sale. I pass hundreds of cows every day on my way around the valley, but I can't get decent priced ground beef. Frustrating the way things work.
I have posted it before. It was my first try at a recipe back when that picture was an ad in a magazine. I've been making it off and on since 1959.

It's also the only recipe that I haven't been able to improve on. I've tried, but none of my experiments taste as good as the original.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 11:10 AM   #8
Senior Cook

I picked up a chunk of top round in the clearance bin in the meat dept yesterday. It's a gloomy, cloudy, rainy day today so I'm thinking to chunk it up and make it with barley either into a soup, stew, or baked. Toasted pretzel rolls (store bakery bought) to go with.
Old 02-13-2012, 11:23 AM   #9
Executive Chef

I picked up some fresh-off-the-boat Pacific red snapper from Fisherman's Catch, so tonight I'm making Snapper Romano with brown rice, hot buttered carrot coins and a 2009 Le Merlettaie Offida Pecorino

I got this recipe from Chef Kelly Bennett of Scoma's at Fisherman's Wharf in San Francisco:

Snapper Romano

Ingredients:

Fish
  • 4 Pacific snapper fillets (about 1 pound)
  • 1 cup all pourpose flour
  • 2 Tbs olive oil
  • salt and pepper to taste
Sauce
  • 1 tsp garlic, finely chopped
  • ½ tsp lemon juice
  • 2 Tbs butter, cubed and slightly chilled
  • 2 Tbs Mushroom, sliced
  • 2 Tbs yellow onion, sliced
  • 1 scallion, white part only, sliced
  • ¼ tsp oregano
  • 2 cups marinara sauce
  • 1 cup bay shrimp
  • salt and pepper to taste
Instructions:

In a sauté pan or skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat until shimmering. Dry fish fillets with paper towels, season with salt and pepper, dredge in flour, and sauté until cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Fish is cooked through when it flakes easily with a fork. Remove fish and keep warm.

Add garlic to the sauté pan and cook, stirring constantly, until it just starts to get golden brown, about 30 seconds. Remove from heat, add lemon juice and butter and swirl the pan until butter just melts. Add mushroom, onion, scallion, and oregano and sauté until soft. Add the marinara and shrimp and bring to a boil. Remove from heat and season with salt and pepper to taste. Plate fish as desired, pour sauce over fillets, and garnish with sliced scallion greens.

NOTE: I also picked up a couple of mahi-mahi fillets, so I will be making Mahi-Mahi in Cocnut Carmel Sauce later this week
Old 02-13-2012, 02:24 PM   #10
Senior Cook

Location: Central Kentucky---Where The Bluegrass Meets The Mountains
I just wish burger would go for a decent price around here

You're certainly not alone in that, Rocklobster. Even worse is what they're charging for bottom cuts----you know, what they used to call the "cheap" cuts.

Anyway, have you considered just grinding your own? Around here, chuck roast often goes on sale, whereas burger never does. So, even if you have to first shell out for a meat grinder, you'll come out ahead in the end. And the grinder has other uses as well.

Tags
dinner