What's cookin for the 4th?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kadesma

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
Planned your menu yet? Doing anything special?
My whole gang will be here, up goes the water slide for the kids, fireworks planned after dark, lots of food, swimming, lots of talk and laughter.. we are having a traditional 4th..
hamburgers,hot dogs, a large platter of pesto with chopped fresh tomatoes to put on top, chips, corn on the cob,sliced tomatoes,onions lettuce avocados, cheese for the burgers, Katie E.'s dark devils food cake, homemade ice cream, vanilla and chocolate, a large fruit salad, sliced watermelon,before hand there will be my dad's avocado dip and sliced french bread,a salami,copa,mortadella and provolone tray,platter of icy cold shrimp with lime mayo and cocktail sauce to dunk in, deviled eggs, and my son in law is going to try his hand at grilled oysters with chili-cilantro butter
Here is to a safe and happy 4th for all of us.
kadesma:)

Oh my gosh, CJ - it sounds wonderful! I hope you have some help getting it all prepared! We are having fried chicken, potato salad, baked beans, watermelon, key lime tart, probably more.

Oh my gosh, CJ - it sounds wonderful! I hope you have some help getting it all prepared! We are having fried chicken, potato salad, baked beans, watermelon, key lime tart, probably more.
I've got the ice cream done today, and am just going to get things ready to do the cake in the morning..Both my girls are helping and my sons in law are darlings and help out every sunday...so I'll have a lot of help..Your goodies sound great, I love fried chicken and potato salad..Key lime tart emmm yummy

not much of a deal here. most of family will be going to disneyland in anahiem. not me. to hot and crowded. maybe i will make a nice cool pasta salad. yours does sound wonderful cj. you to karen, i am hungry for something lemon. maybe a lemon pie, using eagle brand.

No real plans. I am slow cooking Pulled Carolina Pork(don't bash me, I have neither the smoker or the skills any other way). Making Baked Beans, Cole Slaw, Mac Salad. Some kind of YUMMY desert with peaches. This meal I can cook ahead and have a no stress day. If no one shows, I will just freeze the leftovers or feed some of my co-workers.

No solid plans at this point. The 4th is an anniversary for my husband and me ... we met 28 years ago on the 4th of July. So we'll probably lunch out somewhere, but in the afternoon go to the small-town-4th parade and run into friends for a drink. Sometime over the weekend we'll cook out. Since there are only two of us and I love food cooked over fire, I'll pick up some extra meat to grill and freeze in small portions for use later in the week.

No solid plans at this point. The 4th is an anniversary for my husband and me ... we met 28 years ago on the 4th of July. So we'll probably lunch out somewhere, but in the afternoon go to the small-town-4th parade and run into friends for a drink. Sometime over the weekend we'll cook out. Since there are only two of us and I love food cooked over fire, I'll pick up some extra meat to grill and freeze in small portions for use later in the week.
Happy 28th to you..What a great 4th you have had all these years..Enjoy the holiday.

No real plans. I am slow cooking Pulled Carolina Pork(don't bash me, I have neither the smoker or the skills any other way). Making Baked Beans, Cole Slaw, Mac Salad. Some kind of YUMMY desert with peaches. This meal I can cook ahead and have a no stress day. If no one shows, I will just freeze the leftovers or feed some of my co-workers.
Bash, no way:LOL: I cook some in a slow cooker at times too...Your menu sounds yummy and I love anything peach..Plan to make a cobbler in the next couple of weeks...and more vanilla ice cream to go with it. Happy 4th.
kadesma

We'll go to my sisters. She'll have the usual burgers and dogs. I'm taking the potato salad since no else does Mom's recipe. I'm also going to take cucumbers and onions. Don't know what everyone else will bring.

No plans at all. I'm painting the spare bedroom this weekend.
I might throw something on the grill between coats of paint:)

I have to work 3rd shift tomorrow, so my socializing will be limited to a birthday fish fry for my cousin for a few hours. I 'spect it will be fun but I don't cotton much to leaving a get-together in full swing to go to work.

I'm on my own most of the day and thought I was going to be on my own for dinner. Mark has a parade to ride in way out of town, but he's going to be home for dinner.

I had planned on this for myself...
-BBQ'd chicken legs, with my own sauce
-potato, macaroni salad or cole slaw
-a tomato/onion salad

Mark doesn't care for chicken legs that much, so I will do something with a chicken breast... or make him a cheeseburger.

for dessert... mandarin orange sherbet and chocolate ice cream.

not much of a deal here. most of family will be going to disneyland in anahiem. not me. to hot and crowded. maybe i will make a nice cool pasta salad. yours does sound wonderful cj. you to karen, i am hungry for something lemon. maybe a lemon pie, using eagle brand.

my son called and invited me to a bbq at his house. he has a swimming pool so all my grandkids like to go there. still making pasta salad but will take it with me. :LOL:

No cooking for me this weekend. I have traveled the world and finally decided to visit one of our National Landmarks over the 4th of July weekend. Heading to see Mount Rushmore and the sites in and around the black hills. Any thoughts on good local restaurants? Have a happy and safe 4th!

the firestation in downtown Rapid City has a great asiago cheese soup, sausages. Not sure what it's called, exactly, but it's in an old firestation.
As far as anything else, there are some tourist areas like Hill City and Keystone that are drenched with kitchy tourist places. There are several places in Deadwood, too, that Kevin Costner place, Midnight Star or something like that... (I don't know that he owns it anymore). Depends on what you want. Mt. Rushmore has a couple of cafeterias/eating options .

I've got a brisket marinating, not sure if we'll slow cook on the weber or do it indoors; it's been raining here. I just made a potato salad, using a buttermilk dressing I made a couple of days ago as the base. I've got small white beans soaking, and will throw in some leftover ham from the freezer and do slow-cooked beans with molasses, etc.
Dessert is a frozen torte:poundcake, strawberries, vanilla pudding, whipped cream, layered in a springform pan.

I am going to a small get together with my family and we all are in charge of a course. I have dessert and since there are kids, I am taking chocolate espresso crinkle cookies and I just got done baking a brownie bottom cheesecake. I also made an vodka cran-lemonade cocktail for us adults tomorrow night. Should be a great day!

Be safe everyone!

Last edited:
I just set the alarm for DH to get up at 1 to put the pork butt on the Big Green Egg for pulled pork tomorrow. We will have sides of Grits and Greens casserole, Slaw, Baked beans and deviled eggs. Cupcakes and Ice Cream with sliced peaches for dessert.

I decided on Peaches-N-Cream Cake. I only found 1 recipe that suited me, but it reads like a pound cake, so I am going to separate the eggs, whip the whites separate and fold in with the peaches.

gonna have me a cheese burger (pepper jack) with tomato on toasted angel flake bun, fresh white corn, and zucchini sticks (homemade). simple and yummy.

made the pasta salad, bow tie pasta, small ones. chopped purple onion, cilantro, garlic, japlonia diced peppers. whole kernel corn, green olives. mixed up with a mexican Cesar dressing. also made a lemon cake. reg cake , baked then a sort filling from eagle brand milk, lemon juice, zest and egg yolks. spread on hot cake and bake ten more minutes. looks super. i love lemon desserts. may add more to salad in am but am done for now.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom