"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 07-02-2009, 10:05 PM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

What's cookin for the 4th?

Planned your menu yet? Doing anything special?
My whole gang will be here, up goes the water slide for the kids, fireworks planned after dark, lots of food, swimming, lots of talk and laughter.. we are having a traditional 4th..
hamburgers,hot dogs, a large platter of pesto with chopped fresh tomatoes to put on top, chips, corn on the cob,sliced tomatoes,onions lettuce avocados, cheese for the burgers, Katie E.'s dark devils food cake, homemade ice cream, vanilla and chocolate, a large fruit salad, sliced watermelon,before hand there will be my dad's avocado dip and sliced french bread,a salami,copa,mortadella and provolone tray,platter of icy cold shrimp with lime mayo and cocktail sauce to dunk in, deviled eggs, and my son in law is going to try his hand at grilled oysters with chili-cilantro butter
Here is to a safe and happy 4th for all of us.
kadesma

Old 07-02-2009, 10:27 PM   #2
Head Chef

Oh my gosh, CJ - it sounds wonderful! I hope you have some help getting it all prepared! We are having fried chicken, potato salad, baked beans, watermelon, key lime tart, probably more.

Old 07-02-2009, 10:31 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by MexicoKaren View Post
Oh my gosh, CJ - it sounds wonderful! I hope you have some help getting it all prepared! We are having fried chicken, potato salad, baked beans, watermelon, key lime tart, probably more.
I've got the ice cream done today, and am just going to get things ready to do the cake in the morning..Both my girls are helping and my sons in law are darlings and help out every sunday...so I'll have a lot of help..Your goodies sound great, I love fried chicken and potato salad..Key lime tart emmm yummy
kadesma
Old 07-02-2009, 11:11 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

not much of a deal here. most of family will be going to disneyland in anahiem. not me. to hot and crowded. maybe i will make a nice cool pasta salad. yours does sound wonderful cj. you to karen, i am hungry for something lemon. maybe a lemon pie, using eagle brand.
Old 07-03-2009, 04:03 AM   #5
Head Chef

No real plans. I am slow cooking Pulled Carolina Pork(don't bash me, I have neither the smoker or the skills any other way). Making Baked Beans, Cole Slaw, Mac Salad. Some kind of YUMMY desert with peaches. This meal I can cook ahead and have a no stress day. If no one shows, I will just freeze the leftovers or feed some of my co-workers.
Old 07-03-2009, 07:45 AM   #6
Master Chef

No solid plans at this point. The 4th is an anniversary for my husband and me ... we met 28 years ago on the 4th of July. So we'll probably lunch out somewhere, but in the afternoon go to the small-town-4th parade and run into friends for a drink. Sometime over the weekend we'll cook out. Since there are only two of us and I love food cooked over fire, I'll pick up some extra meat to grill and freeze in small portions for use later in the week.
Old 07-03-2009, 10:09 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
No solid plans at this point. The 4th is an anniversary for my husband and me ... we met 28 years ago on the 4th of July. So we'll probably lunch out somewhere, but in the afternoon go to the small-town-4th parade and run into friends for a drink. Sometime over the weekend we'll cook out. Since there are only two of us and I love food cooked over fire, I'll pick up some extra meat to grill and freeze in small portions for use later in the week.
Happy 28th to you..What a great 4th you have had all these years..Enjoy the holiday.
kadesma
Old 07-03-2009, 10:12 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PattY1 View Post
No real plans. I am slow cooking Pulled Carolina Pork(don't bash me, I have neither the smoker or the skills any other way). Making Baked Beans, Cole Slaw, Mac Salad. Some kind of YUMMY desert with peaches. This meal I can cook ahead and have a no stress day. If no one shows, I will just freeze the leftovers or feed some of my co-workers.
Bash, no way I cook some in a slow cooker at times too...Your menu sounds yummy and I love anything peach..Plan to make a cobbler in the next couple of weeks...and more vanilla ice cream to go with it. Happy 4th.
kadesma
Old 07-03-2009, 11:18 AM   #9
Master Chef

We'll go to my sisters. She'll have the usual burgers and dogs. I'm taking the potato salad since no else does Mom's recipe. I'm also going to take cucumbers and onions. Don't know what everyone else will bring.
Old 07-03-2009, 12:36 PM   #10
Head Chef

No plans at all. I'm painting the spare bedroom this weekend.
I might throw something on the grill between coats of paint