"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 07-02-2010, 03:07 PM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

What's cookin' for the 4th of July weekend?

happy independence day, everyone!!!

any special plans for the holiday weekend, july 3rd and 4th, 2010?

i'm done cooking, actually. i finished about 4am this morning.

my family is having it's annual summer get together this saturday, also celebrating my dad's 87th birthday (which is actually on the 4th), and my mom's 83rd birthday (on the 9th).

each of us are bringing something: my sis diane, who is hosting because she has the biggest yard and pool, lol, is making the appy's and i think a baked pasta; my sis carol is making sausages murphy; my bro is making salads and a dessert; and i made a big pot of meataballs in sauce, and a carolina style pulled pork shoulder. i hope 35 meataballs and a 6+ pound pork shoulder will be enough to feed around 20.

i had to cook last night because i have to work from 8am today through to 10am tomorrow to cover the "saturday early show". the meataballs are better a day later anyway, after they've had time to breathe in some sauce. but i hope the pulled pork will be good as well. it's cooked, but i'll wait to pull it just before we leave for my sister's house.

so, what's on your menu this weekend?

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 03:26 PM   #2
Master Chef

No special plans really, maybe some burgers or dogs on the grill. My dad's birthday was on the 4th. also. He would have been 87 yrs. old.
Your plans sound fantastic, enjoy yourself!

Old 07-02-2010, 04:12 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Happy Fourth to everyone...
We are having fried chicken with garlic,rosemary and wine, Potato salad, chips and salsa, fruit salad, sliced tomatoes,vidalias,cucumbers,avocado, platter.Katie's devils food cake, soft serve ice cream Fire works, swimming, daughter in law brought a horse so anyone who wants can ride.lots of sun and fun...
kades
Old 07-02-2010, 04:13 PM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

We're staying close to home.

Saturday night we're headed to a cocktail party at a neighbor's condo. SO informs me we're spending a large part of Sunday at the pool. We'll probably have drinks with another neighbor Sunday night. Monday my daughters and family will be here to use the pool and have a cookout. I'm making lamb kebab for my eldest and me and beef the others who don't appreciate the traditional foods of my ancestors. Also cucumber salad, pilaf, appys and a giant chocolate cake with chocolate whipped cream frosting.

In between, I'll try to catch as many of the Red Sox games against the hapless Orioles for laughs.

Hope you all have a great holiday weekend!
Old 07-02-2010, 04:18 PM   #5
Master Chef

Our family is getting together at my sister's tomorrow. We're doing the usual burgers and dogs. I've been tasked with getting the dogs. I've been hungry for cukes and onions so got them marinating in the fridge this afternoon. I also decided to make some potato salad. The potatoes and eggs are cooking now. I'll cool them off overnight and throw everything together in the morning. Sunday is not exactly planned out yet.
Old 07-02-2010, 05:25 PM   #6
Head Chef

Canada Day/Independence Day

Wyogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 05:35 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

oh, sorry wgal. i thought your thread was just about canadian independence day. the mods may merge this over if they wish.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 06:20 PM   #8
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

No plans. I will be safe and sound at work and off the roads.
Old 07-02-2010, 06:25 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Kinda low key this year....Charcoal Grilled Back Ribs (Rendezvous Style) will take center stage...the usual accompaniments will play supporting rolls..No telling what may make guest appearances..........

One night will be some fresh off da river White catfish...Gotta have my weekly ration!

Eat Well Everyone!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 07:30 PM   #10
Master Chef

Site Moderator

Not 100% sure yet but it will be cooked on the grill what ever it is. The sides will be fresh veg from the farmers market; I'll be heading up early tomorrow morning to get corn, tomatoes, and what ever other tempting veg and fruit they have out (Im hoping for berries and peaches).