What's cookin' for the 4th of July weekend?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

buckytom

Chef Extraordinaire
happy independence day, everyone!!!

any special plans for the holiday weekend, july 3rd and 4th, 2010?

i'm done cooking, actually. i finished about 4am this morning. :ermm:

my family is having it's annual summer get together this saturday, also celebrating my dad's 87th birthday (which is actually on the 4th), and my mom's 83rd birthday (on the 9th).

each of us are bringing something: my sis diane, who is hosting because she has the biggest yard and pool, lol, is making the appy's and i think a baked pasta; my sis carol is making sausages murphy; my bro is making salads and a dessert; and i made a big pot of meataballs in sauce, and a carolina style pulled pork shoulder. i hope 35 meataballs and a 6+ pound pork shoulder will be enough to feed around 20.

i had to cook last night because i have to work from 8am today through to 10am tomorrow to cover the "saturday early show". the meataballs are better a day later anyway, after they've had time to breathe in some sauce. but i hope the pulled pork will be good as well. it's cooked, but i'll wait to pull it just before we leave for my sister's house.

so, what's on your menu this weekend?

No special plans really, maybe some burgers or dogs on the grill. My dad's birthday was on the 4th. also. He would have been 87 yrs. old.
Your plans sound fantastic, enjoy yourself!

Happy Fourth to everyone...
We are having fried chicken with garlic,rosemary and wine, Potato salad, chips and salsa, fruit salad, sliced tomatoes,vidalias,cucumbers,avocado, platter.Katie's devils food cake, soft serve ice cream Fire works, swimming, daughter in law brought a horse so anyone who wants can ride.lots of sun and fun...
kades:)

We're staying close to home.

Saturday night we're headed to a cocktail party at a neighbor's condo. SO informs me we're spending a large part of Sunday at the pool. We'll probably have drinks with another neighbor Sunday night. Monday my daughters and family will be here to use the pool and have a cookout. I'm making lamb kebab for my eldest and me and beef the others who don't appreciate the traditional foods of my ancestors. Also cucumber salad, pilaf, appys and a giant chocolate cake with chocolate whipped cream frosting.

In between, I'll try to catch as many of the Red Sox games against the hapless Orioles for laughs.

Hope you all have a great holiday weekend!

Our family is getting together at my sister's tomorrow. We're doing the usual burgers and dogs. I've been tasked with getting the dogs. I've been hungry for cukes and onions so got them marinating in the fridge this afternoon. I also decided to make some potato salad. The potatoes and eggs are cooking now. I'll cool them off overnight and throw everything together in the morning. Sunday is not exactly planned out yet.

oh, sorry wgal. i thought your thread was just about canadian independence day. the mods may merge this over if they wish.

Kinda low key this year....Charcoal Grilled Back Ribs (Rendezvous Style) will take center stage...the usual accompaniments will play supporting rolls..No telling what may make guest appearances..........

One night will be some fresh off da river White catfish...Gotta have my weekly ration!

Eat Well Everyone!

Not 100% sure yet but it will be cooked on the grill what ever it is. The sides will be fresh veg from the farmers market; I'll be heading up early tomorrow morning to get corn, tomatoes, and what ever other tempting veg and fruit they have out (Im hoping for berries and peaches).

i think i did this in other thread. but here goes. i am making pasta salad with lots of veggies in it. and using bacon ranch dressing for it. gonna make a lemon poke cakes, using a lemon cake mix, and lemon jello. it is my son's fave. frosting is instant lemon pudding and cool whip. after frosting will using fresh blueberries for the stars and raspberries to make a flag on top. might make some star shaped sugar cookies, frosted with royal icing red, white and blue for the kids. lots to do tomorrow but i love it. it will be a son's , he has a pool, and all the family will be there.

I finally decied! Yaaaaaaaaa! It will be chicken on the grill. I picked up some silver queen corn yesterday (already grilled up 4 ears for dinner last night) so we will have the rest of that, sliced tomatoes, and I'm going to make a potato salad with some of the potatoes I dug from the garden last week. Oh.. and watermellon for dessert.

my lemon poke cake with lemon frosting, and decorated with blueberries and raspberries to look like a flag. it is awsome looking, so please. salad all done, off to my son's house we go.

Buffalo Chicken legs (found them in the deli), potato salad and the last of the cherries. By the light of the moon.

my son cooked some tender beef and chicken on the grill for wrapping in fresh corn tortillas bought at a little shop he knows. they were still warm when he bought them. they are big and very thin. really, really good. all the fixins, cheese,lettuce , tomatoes, and onions. we had my salad, a green salad that my daughter brought. and the cake. we were all stuffed. enjoyed seeing the grandkids and their kids. a nice day.

Today was our down day. For dinner we had bruschetta with tomato/basil topping and shrimp on the barbie that I had marinated in a soy sauce/honey/garlic/ginger marinade that kitchenelf had posted here. Very good.

Then our neighbors brought over some tandoori shrimp they had whipped up on the fly for dinner. They were out of this world!

BT, whats sausages Murphy?

Hope you all have a fantastic weekend!

it's sausage, peppers, and onions with potatoes in a sort of thin gravy.

and thanks, hope yours was good as well. saturday was great, at my sisters house, even with no sleep. but now my back and neck are sunburned from weeding the garden on hands and knees all day. :mad:

it's sausage, peppers, and onions with potatoes in a sort of thin gravy.

and thanks, hope yours was good as well. saturday was great, at my sisters house, even with no sleep. but now my back and neck are sunburned from weeding the garden on hands and knees all day. :mad:

My nose is sunburnt/windburnt and my legs and feet are frozen from the ball tournament this weekend. If you don't like the weather wait a minute. We had blistering heat, windy but sunny, cold but sunny, raining cats and dogs, everything but lightning thank goodness.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom