What's cookin'? Fri. 2/17/17

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kayelle

Chef Extraordinaire
We're being pounded with a rain storm they say will be the biggest in the last decade. Seems like a good day to cook rainy day food.

I have some ham hocks simmering in my Nesco Roaster and later I'll be adding 1/2 lb of dried 15 bean soup mix, along with some collards, and a can of tomatoes. Do you think I'm missing anything?

What's going on at your house?

We're being pounded with a rain storm they say will be the biggest in the last decade. Seems like a good day to cook rainy day food.

I have some ham hocks simmering in my Nesco Roaster and later I'll be adding 1/2 lb of dried 15 bean soup mix, along with some collards, and a can of tomatoes. Do you think I'm missing anything?

Good luck with that storm! Looks like a nasty one - with a name like Lucifer, it can't be good!

I'd throw in a chopped chipotle in adobe sauce and give it a sprinkle of cider vinegar for serving.

We're going to our local historic dinner theater with friends to see "Fences" tonight, so we'll eat there. We love this place ? http://www.commodoretheatre.com/

Last edited:
That sounds perfect K! I haven't made that in forever...

We are expecting heavy winds tonight and possible snow Saturday and Sunday.

005.JPG
I found awhole big bunch of leftover cooked rice in the freezer, so seeing that it's National Random Acts Of Kindness Day, I made up a HUGE batch of Hawaiian Style Spam Fried Rice and shared 2/3 of it with our new neighbors, Mister Building Superintendent and all of his peeps.
For supper I'm planning on my AWESOME NOODLE BOWLS
deluxe-saimin-bowl.jpg
my bowl with saimin noodles, won ton, char siu and green onions
[file photo]

won-ton-mein.jpg
DH's bowl, Udon noodles, wonton, char siu, kamaboko and green onions
[file photo]

I'll also be adding sone baby bok choi to each bowl

Good luck with that storm! Looks like a nasty one - with a name like Lucifer, it can't be good!

I'd throw in a chopped chipotle in adobe sauce and give it a sprinkle of cider vinegar for serving.

We're going to our local historic dinner theater with friends to see "Fences" tonight, so we'll eat there. We love this place ? Commodore Theatre - Portsmouth, VA

WOW!!
GG that sound fab! I wish we had something like that here.
Cheap admission prices and good deals on food, snacks and beverages.
Have a good time!

WOW!!
GG that sound fab! I wish we had something like that here.
Cheap admission prices and good deals on food, snacks and beverages.
Have a good time!
It's a wonderful place. The owner travels around the country consulting with others to open similar theaters. I'll post a picture of the murals on the walls inside later. It's just gorgeous.

We got an enormous pan of beef and noodles yesterday from the United Way fundraiser, along with seven layer salad and cheesecake. We ate some of the salad last night, and that was plenty, so I've got the noodles in the oven and plan to share with the neighbor.

Tree pollen must be hitting early. I won't go into details, but nothing tastes right, today. If I do cook, I'll use lots of hot sauce. I need to do a major head blow out.

CD

Got a pot of smoked sausage jambalaya on the stove. Should be ready in about 10 mins. Just waiting for the rice to cook through.

Another day of not-enough-time/too-much-to-do. Ended up using some pre-cooked ground round I have on hand for nights like this. Couple cans of beans, Rotel tomatoes, and seasoning - voila! chili. Filled the hole.

CG, I usually keep some cooked and crumbled ground round on hand, too. I used a little scoop of it for this evening's lazy dinner - a quesadilla. :)

Shredded sharp cheddar, cooked ground round, the last of the chopped jalapenos from my little patio garden, salsa, and a little cilantro...layered between 2 flour tortillas. No oil, just heated it up in a skillet 'til the tortilla had some nice bubbly and brownish color to it and the cheesy innards was melty. :yum: Sliced into wedges with a small fresh fruit salad on the side, and good to go.

Kay....we've been getting hammered here too. Your soup sounds delish.

Kgirl...omgosh, great pictures, I could go for that.

Andy....for once I can say that I'm envious that you got to grill today in Boston! California did NOT have good grilling weather today (at least here) :LOL:

As always, yummy sounding dinners here this evening! I'm inspired. :chef::yum:

It was Breakfast at the Beier's!

TB had farmer's sausage, we both had veggie omelets and toast. It was really nice for a change! I can only tolerate eggs once in awhile so I really enjoy them when I do have them!

Kay....we've been getting hammered here too. Your soup sounds delish.

Kgirl...omgosh, great pictures, I could go for that.

Andy....for once I can say that I'm envious that you got to grill today in Boston! California did NOT have good grilling weather today (at least here) :LOL:

As always, yummy sounding dinners here this evening! I'm inspired. :chef::yum:

Grilling in Boston? All it takes is a glimmer of sunshine. If it is too cold outside, just keep your jacket right next to the door. No sissies here when it comes to grilling.

When I went shopping at the beginning of the month, I found two beautiful lamb steaks on Manager Specials. When I got them home I wrapped them first and into the freezer they went. I like lamb, but have to be in the mood for it. Pirate never saw them until last night when he was scrounging for something to cook. He was in heaven. He baked one and did some broccoli with it. I had just a burger with a pat of butter in the middle.

Update: Good suggestions GG. I added some hot pepper flakes, and also about 1/4 cup of vinegar to the pot at the end. It was outstanding with the flavor of the smoked ham hocks, along with ham flavor Better Than Bullion. I'm glad there are leftovers with more rain expected today. :ohmy:

Update: Good suggestions GG. I added some hot pepper flakes, and also about 1/4 cup of vinegar to the pot at the end. It was outstanding with the flavor of the smoked ham hocks, along with ham flavor Better Than Bullion. I'm glad there are leftovers with more rain expected today. :ohmy:
Yay! I'm glad you liked it, Kay. [emoji2]

Back
Top Bottom