What's cookin good lookin? Sat. 10/14/17

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kayelle

Chef Extraordinaire
:chef: I've really missed participating in this daily thread, but most of all I've missed YOU!

We are having leftovers from last night's good dinner..

Beer Butt oven roasted chicken seasoned with Noh Hawaiian seasoning salt with garlic, vinegar and chili powder. It's really remarkable stuff and worth an online search. It's also what I now use for Kalua pig. Anyway, I roasted the small 4lb. chicken for 45min. at 400 convection oven setting. Andy is so right about smaller chickens seem to roast better, although I'm not sure why.
With the chicky I also roasted $1.98lb asparagus on sale from Von's. I like to squish up the trimmed asparagus in a plastic baggy with the very best olive oil, salt, roasted garlic powder and Italian seasoning, then dump them on a cookie sheet and roast till just crisp tender at 400 degrees, about 8 minutes.
I know none of this is new for the regulars, but maybe the details will help a new cook reading here, and encourage them to join in the fun of this daily thread.

Last edited:
Good to see you back in the saddle, K-L. :)

French dip (with a bit of shaved raw onion), curly fries, and a salad with Fronch dressing.

Last edited:
Missed you, too, Kayelle!

We have lots of leftovers to choose from - meatloaf, ham and bean soup, posole verde and a little chicken-lentil stew. I also have some blanched green beans that need using or freezing tonight. Might use some of those in something.

Hi, Kayelle. Good to see you here again.

I picked up a couple of pork sirloins Thursday. I think I'll pan fry them with onions and peppers. Some roast potatoes and a veggie will round out the meal.

:) @ Kayelle

Satisfied our graving for Italian sausage gravy and biscuits..

Later I will satisfy MY craving for brioche bread pudding

Ross

Attachments

• Bread Pudding 001.jpg
    Bread Pudding 001.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 176
Welcome home, Kayelle!

Baking a ham, along with a dish with more carrots (LOVE roasted carrots). Our other sides will be a pot of mixed greens (beet and Swiss chard) and fresh green beans. I also saw this cute little package of rolls, thought first of K-Girl, and then decided I could think of US, too! They'll be our "starch" addition to dinner tonight.

Attachments

• 20171014_182649.jpg
    20171014_182649.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 164
I was planning to grill but it's cold and rainy, so I'll save that for another night. Instead I'm having a breakfast-for-dinner night with a spinach/mushroom omelette and side of smoked mini sausages.

m6ZSXsV.jpg

I know none of this is new for the regulars, but maybe the details will help a new cook reading here, and encourage them to join in the fun of this daily thread.
Good point.

Burgers on the grill, oven fries, green salad leftover from last night.

Oven fries: Cut potatoes (I prefer red potatoes) into 3/4" cubes, toss with 2 - 3 Tbsp. olive oil, place on foil lined baking pan cut side up. Sprinkle with salt (I prefer coarse sea salt). Roast for 25 - 20 minutes at 350 F until tender, broil for 5 minutes or so until browned.

Last edited:
Welcome home, Kayelle!

Baking a ham, along with a dish with more carrots (LOVE roasted carrots). Our other sides will be a pot of mixed greens (beet and Swiss chard) and fresh green beans. I also saw this cute little package of rolls, thought first of K-Girl, and then decided I could think of US, too! They'll be our "starch" addition to dinner tonight.

King's Bakery, da bestest my sistah CG!!
Funny you mention King's Hawaiian, I was in Wally-World this afternoon and they had one, just one, 'original round loaf' on the shelf!
Original Hawaiian Sweet Round Bread | Products | King's Hawaiian Bakery
BUT! (and that's one big but ;)) DH and I are being good *cough* for 3 weeks (we have doctor's appointments :LOL:), so I didn't get it.
As I type this I'm telling DH and he's "Yeah that's right, we're being good! Good for you not buying that, we can't have French Toast until next month".
:ROFLMAO:
CG, try them split open, slathered in melted butter and then under the broiler to brown `em up :yum: oh my gravy all over my two scoop rice (that's OMG! in my world) DE~LI~CIOUS!! or as I would say ONO~LICIOUS!!

:chef: I've really missed participating in this daily thread, but most of all I've missed YOU!

We are having leftovers from last night's good dinner..

Beer Butt oven roasted chicken seasoned with Noh Hawaiian seasoning salt with garlic, vinegar and chili powder. It's really remarkable stuff and worth an online search. It's also what I now use for Kalua pig. Anyway, I roasted the small 4lb. chicken for 45min. at 400 convection oven setting. Andy is so right about smaller chickens seem to roast better, although I'm not sure why.
With the chicky I also roasted $1.98lb asparagus on sale from Von's. I like to squish up the trimmed asparagus in a plastic baggy with the very best olive oil, salt, roasted garlic powder and Italian seasoning, then dump them on a cookie sheet and roast till just crisp tender at 400 degrees, about 8 minutes.

KAYELLE!!!

It's so great, fabulous, terrific, fantastic, marvelous, superb, outstanding, excellent, wonderful, super, sensational, splendid ... to have you back in the fold friend! :heart:

OH!!!
Dinner, that's right, sorry, I got a bit carried away.

I am going to kinda cheat this evening.
Had a busy day after DH's buddy appeared on our doorstep last night from Southern AZ and was invited to spend the night. :cool:
I found the other Costco Rotisserie Chicken breast in the deep freeze and will heat that up and serve it with some Stuffing (Stove-top brand), some leftover roasted potatoes, homemade gravy and some steamed Haricort Verts.

...oh and K, love those smaller birdies for roasting! Did my first Beer Butt the other day...
002.JPG
Voted, GOOD!

No dessert though, that is if DH doesn't find those 4 humongous bags of Halloween candies I got at Wally-World today.
019.jpg

020.jpg

Leftover pan-fried veal scallopine + cheese + bun = dinner. Fruits to munch on during the evening. I need to think of something to cook, possibly on the grill, tomorrow.

CD

One more here who is happy to see Kayelle back and posting in the dinner thread! :flowers::wub:
I also found some beautiful thin, crisp asparagus at a great deal at Albertson's this morning - $1.88/lb. :) I bought 2 lbs. - roasted some for this afternoon's dinner to have as a side with the meat loaf I baked this morning. Hit the spot. Looking forward to meat loaf sammies - that's pretty much why I make meat loaf in the first place. :yum:

Wonderful looking (and sounding!) dinners, all. :yum:

Last edited:
...try them split open, slathered in melted butter and then under the broiler to brown `em up :yum:...
I toast them lightly, then butter. Yup, ONO! :yum:

Photo of tonight's supper. I put some fresh grated nutmeg on the carrots before roasting, and a bit of quality EVOO with The Spice House "Lake Shore Drive" seasoning on the beans. I pulled my pickled pretties from the fridge to go with dinner. The vinegar cut the grease from the ham, the sour was a nice contrast to the sweet carrots. Plus, I gotta move my stock out of the refrigerator before we leave on vacation. :LOL: There's a little pile of giardiniera between the ham and the beans, and a little bigger pile of garlicy lemon cauliflower between the beans and the carrots.

Attachments

• 20171014_221757.jpg
    20171014_221757.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 133
We had an Italian sausage, fennel and peppers (red, yellow and orange) ragu, served over polenta infused with mascarpone cheese.:yum:

36788-albums1093-picture7143.jpg

Back
Top Bottom