What's cookin' on Sunday, April 1st?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SierraCook

Master Chef
I have the ingredients to make Chinese pepper steak served over white rice. But I was also thinking about making chicken fried steak, mashed potatoes and gravy, green beans, and applesauce. The second meal ideas sounds very comforting. It reminds me of visiting my grandmother. When my family used to visit she would make fried chicken, mashed potatoes and gravy, a vegetable, biscuits, and apple pie for dessert. If we spent the night she would make pancakes or cinnamon rolls for breakfast. :)

What are you having for dinner or baking on Sunday?

I was thinking about chicken fried steak too. At first I just wanted it on a bun but you have made me hungry for the whole meal. We recently ate a lot of applesauce during an illness so it's probably going to be an apple crisp.
This will be a nice way to start off April (which I consider to be the first spring day).
It snowed lightly in NM yesterday 03/31/07, did either of you guys get snow?

The boy is currently making a lovely frittata for his brekkie, mushrooms and spring onions. I'm having my usual steel cut oats with blueberries.

For dinner, left over potato, onion and leek soup. Not very exciting, I know!

Here it is the wee hours of the morning, the stores are closed, and y'all are making me hungry.

Am thinking about a lightly toasted English muffin, topped with a small, thin, chicken fried steak, then a poached egg, with a lovely white sausage gravy (made with a bunch of white pepper and maybe a splash of hot sauce just to make it interesting) poured on top.

Course there has to be taters. Maybe a mixture of thinly sliced regular white and sweet potatoes that are deep fried. Or just home fries. Don't feel like deep frying at the moment.

And on the plate an olio of colorful fruit pieces (one must eat healthfully).

Presentation is everything.

Since I have almost none of those ingredients in the fridge at the moment, it is just a wistful idea.

Sigh.

And am supposed to be cramming for my cholesterol test, and those items should not be on my mind.

Sigh again. Double sigh, dag nab it, rats, rats, a thousand time rats.

Just a thought. Take care and God bless.

how about breakfast.
I'm making french toast and since I don't have any syrup, I will thin down some strawberry preserves and use that as my syrup.

Since my son and grandsons are coming today, we are having the dinner I planned for yesterday --- bbq chicken, baked beans, deviled eggs, spaghetti salad, and garlic bread. (I just fixed burger last night) ! Ice cream for the grandsons !

I'm thinking pork tenderloin for dinner... don't know with what yet.

Steak fajita omelets for breakfast.

With the leftovers from the roasted chicken last night, we're having chicken salad.

Jeez though, now chicken fried steak is sounding very good! :LOL:

Barb L., what is spaghetti salad? Is it like macaroni salad?

Lunch:

I have a lot of leftovers, so I'm going to make a Dagwood. I have leftover sliced turkey, ham, salami, and cold chicken. I got a big loaf of fresh pumpernickel at the farmer's market and I'm just going to make a colossal sandwich out of everything I can find in the fridge.

Dinner:

Seared Rockfish with braised Bok Choy and sweet-and-sour fish sauce. This is one of Patrick O'Connell's recipes out of his latest cookbook, "Refined American Cuisine". It'll be the first entree I've tried out of that book.

redkitty said:
The boy is currently making a lovely frittata for his brekkie, mushrooms and spring onions. I'm having my usual steel cut oats with blueberries.

For dinner, left over potato, onion and leek soup. Not very exciting, I know!
I pm'd you. Did you get it?````````````````````````````````````````````````

Reading has made me wish my DH liked coconut shrimp as I really do. But alas, he isn't a shrimp lover at all. He's still sick, barely got through the yard work yesterday which was daunting and complicated to say the least = planting new landscape since ours was all frozen to death literally, back several weeks ago. Last night's dinner was on the bland side as I knew he didn't feel very well and still it was hard for him to want to eat 'anything'.
I'm going to look through the freezer and see what jumps out at me. I have leftover potato salad that he said was missing something, it was, the celery as I had none. I'll shop and get some and add that to it, plus sweet pickle relish that I also didn't have to 'specialize' it up. He is a lover of potato salad. Maybe I'll do Chicken Kiev that'll be baked. Am watching PD and she's doing fried okra with a spicy sauce. Although that may be too much right now for the man of my dreams, sure sounds good to me. But only maybe exactly two morsels in this mouth as I'm sure it's not WW friendly:ohmy: .

Last edited:
or rabbit died last week, so I put it in the freezer, and defrosted it last night.
a few carrots and potatoes a little celery and away you go, a Lovely Rabbit Stew :)

waste not want NOT!

April Fools :LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL:

Pizza actualy :-p

YT2095 said:
or rabbit died last week, so I put it in the freezer, and defrosted it last night.
a few carrots and potatoes a little celery and away you go, a Lovely Rabbit Stew :)

waste not want NOT!

LOL... I was thinking... yuck! what did it die of!!!

During my travels yesterday, I picked up some pork-filled Gyoza from a Japanese restaurant (and a new handbag -- not from the same place :LOL:) I've already dipped into the dipping sauce - a vinegary-soy? that's delish. So... that'll be an appy. I have babyback ribs in the slow cooker with teriyaki sauce and a can of mandarin oranges (w juice) I added into the pot. Sides maybe - make some fried rice and stir-fry veggies. Still early to decide.

Last edited:
YT2095 said:

waste not want NOT!

I hope your not dating Glenn Close :rolleyes:

YT2095 said:
a few carrots and potatoes a little celery

I was going to say it's a little late to be trying to feed the bunny now.

I am going out to dinner with my boyfriend and as yet we haven't decided what we are in the mood for.

Happy Sunday to everyone.

Back
Top Bottom