"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Click Here to Login

Old 11-16-2019, 05:59 PM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

What's Cookin' Saturday 11/16 ...

Grilled Delmonico Steak on a bed of Memphis-Style BBQ Sauce, Air-Baked Sweet Potato, "Tex-Mex" Sweet Corn with Chopped Poblano & Red Pepper, Salad of Iceberg, Beefsteak and Radish with Red Wine Vinaigrette...

Click image for larger version

Name:	Delmonico Steak.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	37373

Old 11-16-2019, 06:30 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

You sure got some great grill marks on that steak LT!! Nice looking meal to be sure.

I had to put a hold on those lamb chops the other nite, so they will be for dinner with Summer Squash Casserole and seamed broccoli.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 06:36 PM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

Tonight’s dinner is BLTs along with egg and lemon soup.
Old 11-16-2019, 06:53 PM   #4
Executive Chef

An untraditional paella. Finally got to use my Bomba rice. There's Maine lobster (small) claw and tail meat, shrimp, chicken, chorizo, some of Craig's home cured bacon that was leftover from something else, some sofrito that I made a huge batch of and froze in portions a while back, green peas and roasted red bell strips, and, of course, some saffron.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2019-11-16 18.37.47.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	37374  
medtran49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 07:58 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Family had Burger King. I had a burger (no bun) and a small boiled potato with butter.
msmofet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 08:07 PM   #6
Head Chef

That looks and sound delicious, medtran! So, how was that Bomba rice? Was it better than others for cooking the Paella?

I made a batch of chili today, unusual because the beans I used in it were black chick peas. I only used these because I cleaned up and re-organized my pantry section with all the jars of lentils, legumes, and grains, and labeled several to "use 1st". So this was one of them, and I didn't even know what I would use them in I just soaked and pressure cooked them in the IP, then slow-cooked the chili for about 5 hrs, and they still weren't falling apart. Definitely the hardest legume I have cooked! Also, one of my favorites. The chili has hardly any red, due to the darkness of the beans.
Chili, made with black chick peas and ground beef. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Also had some guacamole to snack on, while waiting for the chili. Made this with the last of the cherry tomatoes from the garden, and some of the last of the Hanoi Market peppers (my favorite for guac).
Guacamole to snack on, while waiting for the chili. by pepperhead212, on Flickr
Old 11-16-2019, 08:20 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepperhead212 View Post
That looks and sound delicious, medtran! So, how was that Bomba rice? Was it better than others for cooking the Paella?

r
Thanks, it came out really good. I'll only use 1 portion of the sofrito instead of the 2 I used tonight next time though.

I usually use Valencia, which is what Cubans and Puerto Ricans normally use. The Bomba started to form the soccarat a bit faster, but that was about the only difference. For the price difference, I'll probably stick with the Valencia from now on unless there is a special reason to use the Bomba.
medtran49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 08:34 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Shrimp & scallops in lemon & butter sauce...w/ oyster shooters,...

[IMG][/IMG]
salt and pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 09:54 PM   #9
Head Chef

Pan-seared Chicken Breast Salad

58g protein, 17g net carbs, 16g fat
Sorry no picture

Name:	Annotation 2019-11-16 204242.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	37377

Old bachelor cook
skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 10:33 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
We had a tray bake of chicken, Italian sausage cut into pieces, celeriac, turnip, carrots, sunchokes, potatoes, onion, and garlic. That turned out really good and I will make it again. We had more of the stewed plums with cream for dessert.

Name:	IMG_20191116_193118.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	37378
Old 11-17-2019, 08:24 AM   #11
Head Chef

We had potato, onion & kielbasa soup for lunch - and actually made just enough for our lunch and Mom had the leftovers for supper. I had leftover BBQ with a salad for supper.
cjmmytunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 11:37 AM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

SIL and her hubby were gone most of the day, so Himself and I did a little grocery run. I made salads and stuffed baked potatoes (with ham, broccoli, cheese, and a little Greek yogurt in lieu of sour cream) for the four of us when they got back.

"Remember, all that matters in the end is getting the meal on the table." ~ Julia Child
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 12:19 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

We went to a Thai restaurant downtown for the first time. Very disappointing. The summer rolls were hot, as if they had been put in the microwave It turned out that the "peanut sauce" was bottled sweet Thai chili sauce with chopped peanuts on top. My pad Thai was tasty, but when I asked for the spice tray to give it some heat, it had a hot pepper powder, Sriracha with no flavor and pickled jalapeños with no flavor. It was really strange. DH liked his yellow curry with octopus, but again, he couldn't spice it up.

I have half of the plate of pad Thai leftover. I'll roast a chicken breast and have it for lunch tomorrow.
Old 11-17-2019, 01:09 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Mississippi River Catfish. Fried in P-nut oil

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 02:58 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
We went to a Thai restaurant downtown for the first time. Very disappointing. The summer rolls were hot, as if they had been put in the microwave It turned out that the "peanut sauce" was bottled sweet Thai chili sauce with chopped peanuts on top. My pad Thai was tasty, but when I asked for the spice tray to give it some heat, it had a hot pepper powder, Sriracha with no flavor and pickled jalapeños with no flavor. It was really strange. DH liked his yellow curry with octopus, but again, he couldn't spice it up.

I have half of the plate of pad Thai leftover. I'll roast a chicken breast and have it for lunch tomorrow.
I once went to a Thai resto with my sister. She really isn't used to hot so she wanted it to be a 2 on a heat scale of 10. Since we were having the same thing, they gave me mine the same way. I swear, it was something like -5 on a heat scale of 10. They gave me some hot sauce, which I tasted on its own, and it was hot, maybe a 6 or 7. But, when I put it on the food, the food went back to no heat whatsoever. Very peculiar.

Tags
cook