What's cookin' Saturday 4/23/16?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

msmofet

Chef Extraordinaire
Tonight will be burgers and salad. I think I will stuff my burger with some muenster cheese. Then top with American and Swiss cheeses, onions fried in pan drippings, pickle and sriracha ketchup on a sesame seed Kaiser roll (I may toast the top of the roll in the pan).

I have a bag of extra large shrimp in the freezer (bought when they were on sale in the middle of winter), so they are going on the grill. Marinade is EVOO, lemon juice, and garlic. Sides are white basmati rice with some sun dried tomatoes and green onions, along with some steamed green beans.

Ham, and roasted cauliflower seasoned with Tajin and Penzey's roasted granulated garlic.

We have some chicken tenders left over form last night's dinner so we decided to make "chicken parm" sandwiches with some leftover pasta sauce and cheeses.

Lot's of grilling going on!

I'm doing my second ever attempt at St. Louis pork steaks. Looking forward to a long cook with my new book and music. SC will do salads and we'll have some grilled asparagus too.

Wow....wonderful sounding dinners. :yum: I woke up with a cold early this morning and it's gotten worse throughout the day, so I'll probably just have a couple of scrambled eggs. Can't taste anything anyway. :(

I just broke out the vodka and made myself a Screwdriver - maybe I won't care so much about the itchy watery eyes and constant sneezing. :ermm::LOL:

Last edited:
Salmon with Crispy Skin and a salad.

Pantelligent asked me to use one of their high tech pans in a video. This was my first time using the pan and app. I did not expect a lot but I like the pan. I just followed what the app said to do and this is the result.

Salmon with Crispy Skin by James, on Flickr

Pan-fried burger topped with cheese (one slice each Muenster, Swiss and American cheeses), onions fried in pan with burgers (a little butter and seasoning added), pickle chips and Sriracha ketchup on a pan toasted sesame seed Kaiser Roll with a salad on the side.

img_1464158_0_8ce3aa8953e042cae24763e4706c5510.jpg

Lot's of grilling going on!

I'm doing my second ever attempt at St. Louis pork steaks. Looking forward to a long cook with my new book and music. SC will do salads and we'll have some grilled asparagus too.
Dinner was killer! Kathy loves to be in her "day camp" on the patio. It is sort of like camping with running water and a REAL toilet.
She can do it anywhere. Here is a photo of her day camp in the dome of a private rail car on her birthday trip with her book, her music, and her glass of wine. She did not have to cook for 2 days that time.

Attachments

• IMG_4208.jpg
    IMG_4208.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 175
It's been so hectic for my husband and I lately.
We totally forgot that we had a friend coming over
and then we were all to go to lunch ... we had just come back
from running an early errand and then a big breakfast out :blush:
So we wound up with take-away boxes of most of our lunch
and so dinner was a lovely salad, pizza and a starter of
Trader Joe's pastry bites, very delicious!

I grilled some chicken and kielbasa on our charcoal grill and served it with some mac and cheese and corn. The chicken had marinated in some italian seasoning for a day.

Pretty dinner pics, PPO and msmofet :yum:

...I just broke out the vodka and made myself a Screwdriver...
Orange juice is good for colds - all that fresh vitamin C, you know. Unless you're allergic to oranges. :ermm: You're sure it's a cold, right? I know we live in different parts of the country, but I think allergies have been bad all over. Last year was the first time in decades that I took OTC meds - half a Zyrfake, once a day. I think I might have to add a second half at night. :(

I made patty melts for us - fresh ground beef patties, pan-fried; caramelized onions; American cheese; rye bread. Instead of buttering the bread and grilling the sandwiches on the stove top, I left the bread plain and panini-ed them in my Griddler. Saved the extra calories for pints of fresh-tapped beer from the neighborhood brewery. So good!

Then we blew more calories by adding potato chips. Market Basket had a new kind by Utz, Dark Russet potato chips. I was intrigued, since the dark chips in the bag are my favorite, while Himself scarfs up all of the folded ones. I'd buy these again.

Attachments

• 2016-04-23 21.10.04.jpg
    2016-04-23 21.10.04.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 156
Chopped/salisbury type steak with mushroom/onion gravy, mash made with the guts from the potato skins night before plus celeriac root, and glazed carrots.

It was a beautiful Saturday afternoon and I spent most of the day moving things out of the old house into storage. While doing that I stuck a small rib roast in the oven - basically because it's a set-it-and-forget-it kind of meal that I didn't want to have to putz over. It really came out nice.

img_1464220_0_6e0634f08e54ff4d590a897772564c1d.jpg

I made some delicious mahi mahi fillets last night. Seasoned flour with Penzeys Mural of Flavor, salt and pepper. Dipped fillets in the flour, then egg, then flour again and pan-fried them in a mixture of butter and oil. Made rice pilaf with Uncle Ben's Long Grain & Wild Rice and roasted asparagus in the toaster oven. Sprinkled it all with a shower of Parmigiano Reggiano. Yum.

Attachments

• 1461512836881.jpg
    1461512836881.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 152
It was a beautiful Saturday afternoon and I spent most of the day moving things out of the old house into storage. While doing that I stuck a small rib roast in the oven - basically because it's a set-it-and-forget-it kind of meal that I didn't want to have to putz over. It really came out nice.

img_1464247_0_6e0634f08e54ff4d590a897772564c1d.jpg
OH MY!! All of that looks wonderful!! I love prime rib with au jus, salad and sometimes a baked white or sweet tater.

WOW WOW WOW....fabulous looking dinner pics, everyone. :ohmy: :chef: :yum: You all are such great cooks and photographers!

Back
Top Bottom