What's Cookin'? Saturday June 6, 2015

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zhizara

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
I've already been busy in the kitchen today and more to come.:chef:

I bought 2 Haas avocados yesterday. I chose 1 with a little green on the skin, and the other one all black. Both were still hard at the blossom and stem ends, so I planned to be able to use them one at a time in my gazpacho.

Of course, both of them were totally ripe this morning so I made the gazpacho and enjoyed some for breakfast. Mmmmmm!

I cleaned and chopped up a couple of bags of scallions and got them in the freezer.

I made a container of pimento cheese with some bleu cheese crumbles.

I used about 4 oz. extra sharp cheddar, 1/4 cup grated 3 cheese parm., and about 2 oz. bleu cheese crumbles. I tasted it before I put it in the fridge for sandwiches. MMM mmm.

Next, I took all of the drumsticks I had from the 10# bag of chicken quarters I had separated yesterday.

What's going on in your kitchen today?

I've got them in a gallon zip bag with lite soy, brown sugar and crushed pineapple w/juice.

Next, I plan to get a beef stew started with a baggie full of braised chuck.

That's what's going on in my kitchen today.

What's cooking in your kitchen today?

Aha, making room for more? What's on your grocery list so far?

I need to wash the vegetable crisper and check the pantry!

One thing I could really use is a dozen eggs! The price of eggs has more than doubled in this area. I may give them a pass on principle, we'll see.

I have been trying to buy a few basics on Sunday when I use the car and then hitting the farmers market and a small local store when I'm out for my walks during the week. Clara, the lady that did the depression cooking videos said that walking to the store was good exercise and saved money because you could only buy what you could comfortably carry, good advice! Miss Piggy has been known to give similar advice! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

https://www.youtube.com/user/DepressionCooking/videos

Since my major shopping trips are on the 3rd of the month, I keep a running grocery list. I add to it as DC gives me ideas, as well as when I run out of one of my staples.\

The day before shopping, I do an inventory check to make sure I've got everything covered.

I buy 2 containers of 18 eggs. If I have them, I make eggs for breakfast, tuna/egg salad for sandwiches, and plain ole egg salad. Whatever is left when the month ends I make into deviled eggs. I don't worry about the price any more, because those 36 eggs makes me a whole lot of meals.

So, now that you have your list about ready, what meals are you planning?

Last edited:
I didn't eat at all yesterday, so early this morning I made me a Spam sandwich with just a dab of Gulden's mustard, relish and butter on Pepperidge Farm Whole What bread. Felt like I was back in grade school. Every Thursday however you wanted it. With beans or as a sandwich. I always had the sandwich. I don't know why they served beans on Thursday. They knew most of us were going to be eating baked beans on Saturday at home. I am one of those folks that loved Spam as a kid and still do. Only now I buy the Lite Spam. So much less salt. And I buy the half can. I doubt I will eat again today. :angel:

I did my version of spaghetti vongole (with fresh clams). Traditionally made with chillies but I didn't have any.

Waitrose had some new zealand fresh clams (never tried - quite large) so I lightly steamed them in a little salted water and combined into good quality cooked pasta that had sun dried tomato slices, sliced garlic and chopped flat leaf parsley in it. Very nice - the broth was almost better than the clams themselves!

On reflection, although clams are supposed to go with spaghetti in this dish...I think farfalle would be a better choice (bows).

I made butter from 1 qt. of heavy cream. It gave me about a pound - give or take, and about 1-1/2 pints of whey (buttermilk) for the dogfood and making homemade biscuits topped with homemade strawberry preserves tomorrow morning for a Sunday breakfast!

Last edited:
I've already been busy in the kitchen today and more to come.:chef:

I bought 2 Haas avocados yesterday. I chose 1 with a little green on the skin, and the other one all black. Both were still hard at the blossom and stem ends, so I planned to be able to use them one at a time in my gazpacho.

Of course, both of them were totally ripe this morning so I made the gazpacho and enjoyed some for breakfast. Mmmmmm!

I cleaned and chopped up a couple of bags of scallions and got them in the freezer.

I made a container of pimento cheese with some bleu cheese crumbles.

I used about 4 oz. extra sharp cheddar, 1/4 cup grated 3 cheese parm., and about 2 oz. bleu cheese crumbles. I tasted it before I put it in the fridge for sandwiches. MMM mmm.

Next, I took all of the drumsticks I had from the 10# bag of chicken quarters I had separated yesterday.

What's going on in your kitchen today?

I've got them in a gallon zip bag with lite soy, brown sugar and crushed pineapple w/juice.

Next, I plan to get a beef stew started with a baggie full of braised chuck.

That's what's going on in my kitchen today.

What's cooking in your kitchen today?
Wow, that's a lot of cooking in one go.

Now I have seen you use the term "3 cheese parm" twice. What is it?

The plan is to make a Danish pork meatloaf for supper. This time I checked early and made sure that the ground pork is not frozen.

I'm smoking some Berkshire pork belly on the charcoal grill today. Couple some of that with BBQed potatoes and some grilled watermelon salad, and I'm going to be a happy girl.

After 15 days on the road, I am craving home cooked food. Am pressure cooking some rice to go under sautéed chicken, broccoli, cabbage, onions, garlic, green pepper, parsley and carrots.

Since Mother Nature is providing weather more like summertime we're having a summer-type meal.

Grilled hamburgers, homemade potato salad, corn on the cob, sliced onions, and pickle relish made from Famous Dave's Devil's Spit Pickle Chips, iced tea and homemade strawberry sherbert for dessert.

P.S. Famous Dave's pickles are awesome. They pack quite a lovely punch!

Last edited:
Wow, that's a lot of cooking in one go.

Now I have seen you use the term "3 cheese parm" twice. What is it?

It's made by Kraft. It's Parm, Romano and Asiago. Good stuff.

Well, with all that cooking, I'll finally have a little room in the fridge. The other advantage is that once I gat my kitchen cleaned up, I won't have to cook or clean the kitchen for awhile.

If I didn't do all that cooking, my fridge would be so stuffed I wouldn't be able to find any thing:LOL:

Dinner Al Fresco

This is just for you Kayelle. ;)

Hawaii 077.jpg

We don't have a grill here at the apartment in Honolulu (against local ordinance), so I broiled a Strip Steak (we share just one steak) and added Tako (Octopus, it's cooked) and Ahi (Tuna, raw) Poke along with some steamed white (sticky) rice and a salad of fresh, local veggies from
the Farmer's Market.
ONO (delicious) !!

I was in the commercial kitchen all day. I am having steamed wild asparagus. That's it. I don't feel like cooking and I don't feel like washing too many more dishes.

Back
Top Bottom