What's Cookin'? Sunday January 3, 2016

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zhizara

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
I'm planning brats in beer and onions, with broccoli in cheddar sauce for a side dish.

It's so cold today I'll try to figure out a good long simmering pot of something to warm things up.

What 'ya got cookin' today?:chef:

I have to rework a zucchini fritter recipe. I gave it a thumb's down...Not enough value and not "cheffy" enough. I better put my creative thinking cap on. I might be eating fritters for a couple of days.

Hello all. :) I have been pretty busy lately and have missed reading the board. For lunch today I am making tortellini soup, and grown up "grilled" cheese sandwiches. I also have chili in the crackpot for supper. When it gets closer to supper time I think I'll probably make some cornbread muffins.

I hope everyone had a safe and wonderful new year!

I have some jumbo shrimp and one very large king crab leg. Silly me, I only bought three legs New Years eve. One is a lonely number.
Anyway, not exactly sure what to do.

I have a pot of chicken soup simmering on the stove. Probably my last "cook" for our kids for a while, and I want to finish off with a Mom standard. Loverly is off taking care of all kinds of things that need attention on a day off from work, so I'll haul a tub of the soup to Goober when we visit.

Cold and cloudy here today - feeling the need for a bowl of hot soup too, CG. I just finished chopping up veggies and ham for a pot of split pea soup. Roasted cinnamon sweet potato wedges on the side.

The rain is on it's way, California people! Looks like it's going to be a good one for a few days.

Last edited:
Looks like it's going to be colder all over. We have cooler temps here for the next several days, too.

I'm going to make this pressure cooker dish in my new Instant Pot: Quick and Easy Pressure Cooker Chicken, Lentil, and Bacon Stew With Carrots | Serious Eats

I'm thinking I'll add some more veggies to it - garlic and green chiles from the freezer for a little heat - and deglaze with red wine, as suggested in the comments. I'll serve it with garlic bread and salad made with red leaf lettuce from the garden. I'm always forgetting it's out there! :LOL:

In order to get warm I went ahead and made brats in beer and broccoli in cheese sauce and had that for lunch.

Dinner plans are for yellow squash with onions in garlic butter and a couple of small tilapia fillets cooked in the last few minutes with the squash.

It's still only 70° in the living room, but spending so much time cooking and prepping my latest monthly shopping spree, I don't feel cold at all.

It's a chilly (for us) soup day here too. I haven't done this recipe in a long time so it will fill the bill. I think I'll also add a can of Kraut, and use purple cabbage.

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f56/sweet-n-sour-sausage-cabbage-soup-64489.html
The purple may discolor the soup. I usually saute/pan roast the cabbage first. I also Toast the spices in a dry ci pan to wake them up. I have been making a lot cabbage soup lately. Next time I am going to make Norwegian sweet and sour red cabbage and make it into Borscht. I know TL has posted her Danish recipe of this Nordic dish.

Last edited:
I pan fried some sea bass fillets and made a ginger, chilli and tomato 'sauce' to go with it. I was sure I had too much ginger (it tasted so powerful when I chewed it raw) but could barely detect it at all in the finished dish. (I had the fish with toasted sourdough bread and a green salad).

That looks tasty Powerplantop - what were the seasonings/flavourings?

Last reasonable temperature evening (for January) before we get the Arctic blast tomorrow. Daughter, SIL and grandbaby are coming over. Marinated steak tips on the grill, roast brussel sprouts, TJ's spinach and chive pasta with pesto, green salad, tzatziki, and dutch oven rosemary and olive oil bread. We're gonna have leftovers!

The purple may discolor the soup. I usually saute/pan roast the cabbage first. I also Toast the spices in a dry ci pan to wake them up. I have been making a lot cabbage soup lately. Next time I am going to make Norwegian sweet and sour red cabbage and make it into Borscht. I know TL has posted her Danish recipe of this Nordic dish.

Did you ever write down a recipe for us CWS? If you did, I can't find it.

Red cabbage is what I have on hand right now so pink soup is what it's going to be. :LOL:

Last reasonable temperature evening (for January) before we get the Arctic blast tomorrow. Daughter, SIL and grandbaby are coming over. Marinated steak tips on the grill, roast brussel sprouts, TJ's spinach and chive pasta with pesto, green salad, tzatziki, and dutch oven rosemary and olive oil bread. We're gonna have leftovers!

Wow, tenspeed...what an amazing sounding meal! :yum: Have a great day with family.

Did you ever write down a recipe for us CWS? If you did, I can't find it.

Red cabbage is what I have on hand right now so pink soup is what it's going to be. :LOL:
For the Tex-Mex version or my cabbage roll soup with cabbage and sauerkraut? Yes, I did. Both would be base soups--play with them based on what you have in your pantry, etc.

That looks tasty Powerplantop - what were the seasonings/flavourings?

I do not have the recipe written out, will do that before I post the video. But This is ingrediants.

8oz beef
1 tablespoons Cooking Wine
1 teaspoon Soy Sauce
1 tablespoons Cooking Oil
Pinch of Salt

Equal volume of Chinese Celery to meat
2 or 3 Green Onion (white part)
1 inch ginger
1 Tablespoon Doubanjiang
1/4 teaspoon Chili Pepper Powder
1/4 teaspoon Sichuan Peppercorn

Back