What's Cookin' Sunday Oct 2?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Leftover homemade soup from yesterday, I'll make grilled cheese to go with it with the homemade oatmeal bread from yesterday.

Roast beef with rosemary, carrots, onions, celery, and baby potatoes... it is only in the high 40s here today so a warming comfort-food dinner.

We are having camping food, even though we aren't camping! Beef and Biscuits! It is done in the dutch oven...sloppy joe in the bottom, cheese next, and then canned biscuits on top. We were hungry for it, and decided just to make it at home. Havent decided on veggie yet, but will figure something out. Wish I had some fresh cucumbers.

That sounds nice Chopper. Are you cooking that stovetop or in the oven... or outside? I'd love to see a pic of it. It sounds like something I would like.

That sounds nice Chopper. Are you cooking that stovetop or in the oven... or outside? I'd love to see a pic of it. It sounds like something I would like.
I will try to remember to take a picture. Sometimes we do it outside with charcoal, just like camping, but I may cheat and use the leg-less dutch oven and do it inside. When I do it inside, I do the sloppy joe on top of the stove (ground meat, bbq sauce, ketchup, onion, a little yellow mustard, etc). Once the cheese and biscuits are added I will bake it in the oven until the biscuits are done. When camping, you do it all in a fire pit with charcoal under the DO. For the baking part, you put the lid on and put more charcoal on top. Simple, but good.

And I just happen to have some shallots, too, Andy. :)

The beans are on. The moink balls are on. The ribs are on.

Pac, you meal looks wonderful! I have a couple of questions.......what are the little "mini" hot dog looking thingys in your beans???:huh: My other question is what are moinks? I think you answered this for someone once before, but my brain cells fail me occasionally and I cannot remember. Are they pork meatballs?? :pig:

DH took some beef out of the freezer that appears to be chuck steaks/roast, not really sure........so maybe it will become swiss steak or ??? I really don't know and I don't have that much time now to create something. Guess I better go get crackin' :sorcerer:

Sautéed hot dogs and onions in butter, tomato paste, red wine and water added to make a sauce then served over small pasta shells with salad on the side.

img_1055038_0_5a3f77573d4957c6f6493d5d3f120542.jpg

I've got a camping DO and a legless one, Chopper, so I am good either way. One of my "goals" is to build a small outdoor cooking pit. When I go off the grid :LOL:

Somebun, those are little smokies. I was out of hot dogs :LOL: I like my BBQd beans loaded with this and that.
And moink balls are simply frozen meatballs wrapped in bacon, seasoned with a rub and glazed with a BBQ sauce towards the end. M for meatball and oink for using pork (bacon) I guess.

These were the largest ribs I've cooked and by far the juiciest. Must have been the marinating. I can't say I would do them that way all the time though, but it was nice for a change. As was eating them "dry", with just the rub and a little sauce for dipping. The sauce recipe I used was delicious and will be put on some chicken later this week.
Week four of PPPC comes to a close... and the Browns lost. Oh well, they are giving me some good eats anyway :)

Attachments

• beans2.jpg
    beans2.jpg
    156.5 KB · Views: 140
  • PPPC wk-4 Tennessee.jpg
    PPPC wk-4 Tennessee.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 145
Tonight's Beef and Biscuits:

image-2949201184.jpg

The cheese goes on the sloppy Joe.

image-3352031072.jpg

Canned biscuits on top.

image-763111221.jpg

After baking at 375 for 15 mins.

image-143919150.jpg

...and there you have it, ready to eat!

I've got a camping DO and a legless one, Chopper, so I am good either way. One of my "goals" is to build a small outdoor cooking pit. When I go off the grid :LOL:

Somebun, those are little smokies. I was out of hot dogs :LOL: I like my BBQd beans loaded with this and that.
And moink balls are simply frozen meatballs wrapped in bacon, seasoned with a rub and glazed with a BBQ sauce towards the end. M for meatball and oink for using pork (bacon) I guess.

These were the largest ribs I've cooked and by far the juiciest. Must have been the marinating. I can't say I would do them that way all the time though, but it was nice for a change. As was eating them "dry", with just the rub and a little sauce for dipping. The sauce recipe I used was delicious and will be put on some chicken later this week.
Week four of PPPC comes to a close... and the Browns lost. Oh well, they are giving me some good eats anyway :)

Ah ha! Little Smokies, I should have recognized them. I love smokies, and I am definately going to try them in beans. Gotta try those moink balls too! Sorry about the Browns Pac!

Dang Pac, I just came precariously close to licking my screen, I heart bbq! I made slow-roasted chicken, pan gravy, homemade dressing, mashed potatoes, balsalmic roasted brussel sprouts, sweet cornbread, and honey butter.

Attachments

• IMG_1180.jpg
    IMG_1180.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 144
Shoot. Several screen licks and still nuthin'. Beautiful meals, all!

Thanks guys.

Lisa, I would gladly trade you my BBQ for that plate. You've got everything there that I love. It looks like a Thanksgiving Day meal.

And one of these days I'm going to get around to making those sliced hot dogs in burgundy tomato sauce. It reminds me of the Cajun little smokies dish I make once in a while.

Chopper, I was thinking about this yesterday and it was pretty much as I pictured except for the plating... I just couldn't imagine me getting a nice piece out like you have. Very nice. Great pics. You should post this up in the outdoor cooking forum.

Somebunny, I'm used to them by now, lol.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom