What's Cookin' Thursday 1/2 ??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

luckytrim

Chef Extraordinaire
Post-Holiday doldrums have set in .... Sure Didn't feel like cooking...

Grilled Hot Dogs, one slated for Ketchup & Onions, the other for Mustard & Relish... Air Fries, Harvard Beets and a Salad round it out...

Franks. Harvard Beets.jpg

We are reverting to yesterday's planned dinner: broiled kielbasa, mashed potatoes and a veggie.

I finally got around to cooking that pork tenderloin. I just couldn't motivate myself to roast it, so I cut it into medaillons and fried those. Then I cooked some onions and garlic, added some herbes de Provence and hot paprika and cream. I deglazed the pan with the cream and reduced the sauce until it was thick enough and added back the pork medaillons. I served it with boiled potatoes and a green salad with ranchoid dressing. That was quite tasty.

Tonight was spaghetti and my meat sauce. It changes a little bit each time I make it because that's just the way I roll. It was exceptional tonight but it may be just ok next time. There are some constants though, like some Italian sausage along with the ground beef, red wine, lots of dried Porcini mushrooms, and the pasta must be al dente.

I made enough to freeze 2 quart zip lock bags of sauce. Woo Hoo...

Last edited:
A friend stopped by today, while I was cooking, and he said "Oooooooooohhhh...I smell mushrooms!" He was right on target - I was cooking down a pound of mushrooms, to make duxelles, something that I used to have on hand at all times, like I now have pepper pastes on hand! The liver paste I was making had an option of mushrooms added, chopped and cooked separately, which I would always use a couple tb of the duxelles for, and I just got a little over a lb of mushrooms from the produce place really cheap, so I made some, for the first time in many years. 1.15 lbs of mushrooms cooked down to about 3/4 c.:
Duxelles, just starting to cook. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Duxelles, after only 4 minutes of cooking. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Duxelles, after 15 min cooking. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Duxelles, transferred to a 4 inch smaller pan, after about 25 minutes. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Finished duxelles, reduced to less than 3/4 c, after about 75 minutes of cooking. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

It is amazing how concentrated the flavor gets in this stuff! It's great added to many dishes, even non-mushroom dishes, for that intense, umami flavor.

I had some of that liver paté, to which I added some of the duxelles, and I had it on that rye bread that I baked yesterday.
Liver paté, processed. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Pepperhead, do you mind sharing your recipe for duxelles? If not, please start a new thread about it.

Back
Top Bottom