What's Cookin' Tues. Nov. 22nd???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pacanis

Chef Extraordinaire
I'll be starting my dinner around noon today (no, I'm not BBQing anything).
I bought a beautiful looking chuck roast the other day. I'm going to cut it in half and freeze half, then season the other half, sear it in a skillet, and lay it in my slow cooker with some veggies, seasoning and a minimal amount of water. I've got some putzing around to do outside today and I'll save that for the afternoon, because nothing smells better than walking back into the house after being out in the cold and smelling that roast cooking away. Well, maybe baking bread does ;) hmmm, I think I'll bake a loaf of bread today, too.

I'm making barley stuffed poblano peppers. My own concoction.

I roast the peppers over a gas flame until charred. Let them cool in a paper bag and peel, split and seed them.
Cook some barley in vegetable broth until just tender to the bite. Saute some frozen corn, can of black beans (drained and rinsed and drained), the barley, salt, pepper, dried oregano and granulated garlic. Stir in some toasted pecans and a small handful of raisins. Stuff the peppers with that.
Make a sauce of soaked dried California red chiles, garlic, oregano, chile soaking liquid, sesame seeds, s/p, tsp honey and 1/4 tsp unsweetened cocoa all whirled around in the blender.
Place the stuffed pepper into a dish that is spread with a bit of the sauce. Small amount of sauce added to the top of the filling also. Bake at 350 for around 15-20 minutes. Sprinkle a bit of shredded sharp cheddar on top and bake another 5 minutes or until the cheese melts.

307514_10150288051624004_598294003_7677910_1174063_n.jpg

Last edited:
Its warmer today, but still really overcast. I'm waiting on an inspector to come and check out my furnace etc. If they hurry up, I will be able to shower and get out for a loaf of french bread and I'll leave roast beef melts for the family. If not, they get the frozen homemade pizza in the freezer. I'll be eating at work and have no clue what is being served.

I am ahead of the game here because its 7pm here! I just had a really nice Malaysian Curry .

Excuse my ignorance but when is thanks giving? This week?

Tonight I have a condo board meeting so we'll be eating separately and whatever is available.

I may make an omelet with some of the ham steak leftover from last night's dinner.

Chop chae (please don't get wrapped around the spelling; we don't use the Korean alphabet and I've seen more spellings for this dish that I can reproduce). Stir fried beef, greens and bean thread noodles with whatever else happens to be on hand. Inspired because I found one of my favorite cuts of beef for it, my garden has an overage of greens and herbs that will probably not last another week. Yummy.

I'm thinking dark turkey meat in wild rice with a handful of frozen mixed veggies cooked in some of that gorgeous giblet stock.

We're having "Linda's pot of pig" with boiled potatoes, rødkål, and a salad (with homemade vinaigrette, of course).

Amazing the juices crock pot roast generates with only 1/4c of water.
I'll turn the leftovers into beef and barley soup, after I eat some more veggies from it.

Attachments

• crock pot roast.jpg
    crock pot roast.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 215

Hash? Give me a recipe and I will follow. I've never made hash.

Take some of the beef, potato, onion and even the carrot from your dinner. Chop it up and fry it in a cast iron skillet with a little oil or butter. When it is hot and browned serve it with a couple of FRESH eggs, some Texas toast and plenty of catsup or ketchup depending on where you live. :pig:

Back
Top Bottom