What's cookin? Wed. 1/31/18

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ground turkey cost so much, I cant afford it, I use beef/pork mix, because that is common and fairly cheep.

I also dont use cheddar, the cheddar we get is either English/ Scottish or Swedish and it has different texture, melting, look and flavour then American ( yes, a American friend keeps complaining about and even brought over some American cheddar for us to try).
I use a mix called Tex Mex, it is more like stringy and has lovely fresh flavour. I had no time to go to Brödernas and get a Arabic cheese that taste like and act like quesa fresca ( yes I have tasted that) .

Feta, I get is Greek , 100% sheep milk as it should and yes work for Burritos but not with this. The Arabic cheese is made with Cow milk or a mix of cow and goat and it is milder then Feta and not as salty.

I actually do my own taco spice my self, just cumin, thyme, oregano, paprika, garlic powder, black pepper and ground to smooth powder. No chili because my daughter dont like the taste of powdered chilli , she will eat whole chils made into paste and put into food.

I will be honest when it comes to burritos, well just a tortilla stuffed with something left over most often and some veggies and that is it. I havent done a lot of authentic Mexican food for a while. I used too. Hrm maybe I should dig up som José's old recipes and cook them again. It perfect weather for Atole and churros. If I could just find the recipe for Wedding beans ( that what he has written in Swedish Bön Bröllop), then I be happy.

I'm impressed by your knowledge of Mexican food, especially considering you are Swedish. Your taco spice sounds pretty good.

CD

My mom used to say, if you can read, you can cook. People don't have to grow up in or near a culture to learn how to cook the food.

There is a lot of stuff you can't learn from a recipe, and unless you have been to a place, it can be hard to know if the recipe is right. Add in the availability of the right ingredients.

I've cooked from cajun recipes, and for the most part, they didn't represent the food I ate at Mrs. Thibodaux's house back in Port Arthur.

I run Mexican recipes by my friend Carlos, who grew up in Mexico, and he tells me "do this, instead of that" when something isn't how they do it "back home."

Yeah, a recipe works, but being exposed to a culture is very helpful for spotting something in a recipe that doesn't look right.

Anyway, I'm still impressed with CakePoet's understanding of Mexican flavors. I know people here in Texas who don't get it.

CD

There is a lot of stuff you can't learn from a recipe, and unless you have been to a place, it can be hard to know if the recipe is right. Add in the availability of the right ingredients...

Sure. I'm not saying it's going to be perfectly authentic, especially if you don't have access to certain ingredients. I'm just saying that it's not genetic, as some people (not you) imply ;)

It depends on the recipe, too. Rick Bayless's books are very detailed - he describes how masa should look and feel, the characteristics of the ingredients, how to balance flavors, etc.

I'm also saying that a dish doesn't have to be culturally authentic to be good eats.

Last edited:
Sure. I'm not saying it's going to be perfectly authentic, especially if you don't have access to certain ingredients. I'm just saying that it's not genetic, as some people (not you) imply ;)

It depends on the recipe, too. Rick Bayless's books are very detailed - he describes how masa should look and feel, the characteristics of the ingredients, how to balance flavors, etc.

I'm also saying that a dish doesn't have to be culturally authentic to be good eats.

I eat a lot of food that is ethnically inspired, but not authentic. I eat them because they taste good. That's fine, as long as a recipe author doesn't claim them to be authentic -- just inspired by a cultural heritage.

Rick Bayless does cook authentically Mexican foods, but he also spends a significant part of every year in Mexico, learning from Mexican cooks. His recipes are very detailed -- detailed to the point that they can be intimidating to the novice cook.

We are mostly on the same page.

CD

I eat a lot of food that is ethnically inspired, but not authentic. I eat them because they taste good. That's fine, as long as a recipe author doesn't claim them to be authentic -- just inspired by a cultural heritage.

Rick Bayless does cook authentically Mexican foods, but he also spends a significant part of every year in Mexico, learning from Mexican cooks. His recipes are very detailed -- detailed to the point that they can be intimidating to the novice cook.

We are mostly on the same page.

CD

I'm certain that I can't say this correctly but... I have never witnessed a home cook or Mexican restaurant go through what Mr Bayless does to put a "real" Mexican meal on the table.. I enjoy watching his shows but consider him an entertainer in the world of Mexican food preparation... :)

Ross

I'm certain that I can't say this correctly but... I have never witnessed a home cook or Mexican restaurant go through what Mr Bayless does to put a "real" Mexican meal on the table.. I enjoy watching his shows but consider him an entertainer in the world of Mexican food preparation... [emoji2]

Well, you'll have to come visit us sometime, Ross [emoji2] I have several jars of his essential cooked tomatillo and tomato salsas in my freezer and I usually have a jar of his pickled red onions in the fridge. So I can, and have, used those in several of his recipes. I've also used his recipes to make tamales and Mexican rice. It's not any more difficult than any other cuisine with several components.

Well, you'll have to come visit us sometime, Ross [emoji2] I have several jars of his essential cooked tomatillo and tomato salsas in my freezer and I usually have a jar of his pickled red onions in the fridge. So I can, and have, used those in several of his recipes. I've also used his recipes to make tamales and Mexican rice. It's not any more difficult than any other cuisine with several components.

I am certain I would enjoy whatever you put together, from his or anyone's recipes... :)

Ross

Great looking dinners Andy and Roch!

The recipe was as good as I remembered and it was fun using my pretty new Polish Pottery individual casseroles I found for a song at Tuesday Morning.
P1310060_1.jpg

This looks wonderful and a refreshing change from anything I've had recently. :yum: When you have time, Kay, will you please type out the recipe to share? I love those 'club' cookbooks too, and have a whole shelf of them. They often have the best recipes!

LOVE those little Polish dishes, too! We don't have a Tuesday Morning here, but we do have a Marshalls and they often have fun kitchen things as well. :)

Back
Top Bottom