"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 02-04-2015, 08:22 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Pot roast with roasted carrots, mashed potatoes and homemade biscuits. Vanilla butter cake for dessert with chocolate frosting.

It's a comfort food kind of day!

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 08:37 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

My daughter sent me a large bowl of American Chop Suey. I will share it with The Pirate when he shows up tonight.

Old 02-04-2015, 08:56 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

I made Sailor's Stew (ISO: Norwegian Sailor Stew recipe). Whiskadoodle, I tweaked it some more--I added juniper berries to the stock when I was making it, as well as anchovies and capers. I added roasted garlic as well. It was soooo darned good...I actually had three bowls for breakfast and another around 5...I put pea pods in (at the end) and some other veggies while it was cooking. I figured out a way to get the cooking time down to 55 minutes without using a pressure cooker and without sacrificing the tenderness of the meat. Oh, and Whiska, I made it with lamb (because I pulled lamb out of the freezer instead of beef). It was soooo good.
Old 02-04-2015, 09:26 PM   #14
Executive Chef

We are working on a pinto bean and ham soup with just the right amount of green chile (for me). It only required a small bowl of yogurt afterwards. Cornbread too.
Old 02-04-2015, 09:53 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
I made Sailor's Stew (ISO: Norwegian Sailor Stew recipe). Whiskadoodle, I tweaked it some more--I added juniper berries to the stock when I was making it, as well as anchovies and capers. I added roasted garlic as well. It was soooo darned good...I actually had three bowls for breakfast and another around 5...I put pea pods in (at the end) and some other veggies while it was cooking. I figured out a way to get the cooking time down to 55 minutes without using a pressure cooker and without sacrificing the tenderness of the meat. Oh, and Whiska, I made it with lamb (because I pulled lamb out of the freezer instead of beef). It was soooo good.

CWS,, I saw the other day you were planning making Sailor Stew. That was some mighty-fine tasting with the wooden spoon while it simmered the one time I made this. And, spoon over the back fence-- I think I licked the bowls clean too. It looks like you tweaked it a bit too. I like your idea of using lamb instead of beef. Gotta append the recipe in my recipes files. I'm still pleased your perseverance researching the original recipe.
Old 02-05-2015, 01:07 AM   #16
Master Chef

"The Cook" went on strike tonight, so we kinda slummed it in the supper department. Himself and I split a can of Progresso soup, and I griddled up a couple of ham and cheese sammies on sourdough. I bought a slicing tomato for the sandwich and was more than mildly surprised to find out that it smelled and tasted like a tomato! Very nice treat in February.

Come to think of it, had I actually made a real dinner instead of going down the basement for the Griddler, I might not have wrecked up my toe.

Tags
cook