What's Cooking 6th August

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Gorgeous, Harry. You need to put this in the seafood recipe section so I can find it again. I can't wait to make this as soon as I can pick up some of the fishies on sale :chef:

Tonight I'm making St Louis style BBQ'd pork steak, grilled corn on the cob, grilled potato, and oh yeah, a couple slices of grilled zucchini :rolleyes:
thanks pac,will do.in the meantime this is how my CULINARY GOD marco pierre white cooks it.he taught gordon ramsay & heston blumenthal how to cook when they worked for him.i've modified his recipe a bit 'cos i don't like cheddar in fish pie nor eggs either.i used gruyere & used mussels as i didn't have scallops,but as he said...use what you like:
Marco Pierre White - Fish Pie - YouTube

Last edited:
fabulous cw,beautiful corn too....i trust you beautiful chooks weren't the wing donors tho'.....nice work:chef:
Thanks, Harry. The corn came from the corn patch...8 minutes from field to table--it is so good, I could eat (and have) just corn for a meal. The wings were from chickens--not hens! I had been craving wings so picked up 4 lb when I was down in NY recently--much more reasonably priced there than here. Wings have gotten so expensive here, it is ridiculous. Probably doesn't help that they are so popular as a pub food! We were at the farm (no hens there right now). We'd feel guilty BBQing wings with the girls milling about...since the girls are curious about everything and would want to help BBQ.

Have you got a large corn patch CWS?
We have 6-100 ft panted rows of corn at the farm--three (or is it four) varieties. We used to plant 3 acres, but the deer and raccoons enjoyed more of the corn than we did. We let that go fallow this year. Our plan is to plant winter wheat for the girls in the fall and then plant ...not sure what. We'd have to fence it to keep the critters out. We have considered planting it to establish it for CSAs, but haven't decided yet.

We freeze a lot of the sweet corn (off the cob). We also treat the girls to cobs that are "old" and the kernels more mature than we like. Not big, but a nice size patch for our own use.

Next year, we are planting the same size area with sunflower seeds for the girls. We only put in about 50 sunflower plants this year. They germinated well and the girls will enjoy the seeds as treats (oil seeds, not confection).

Last edited:
Thanks, Harry. The corn came from the corn patch...8 minutes from field to table--it is so good, I could eat (and have) just corn for a meal. The wings were from chickens--not hens! I had been craving wings so picked up 4 lb when I was down in NY recently--much more reasonably priced there than here. Wings have gotten so expensive here, it is ridiculous. Probably doesn't help that they are so popular as a pub food! We were at the farm (no hens there right now). We'd feel guilty BBQing wings with the girls milling about...since the girls are curious about everything and would want to help BBQ.
ooops soz cw!!corn that fresh & i think i'd just eat it raw off the cob:yum:!
last year bolas & i grew grew a few.not many as we weren't too sure about whether it would work in our "unpredictable:wacko:" summers.we had a lovely "indian" summer in august/sept & it ripened nicely.i did just that,ate it raw off the cob.guess that's the beauty of organic gardening,quick rinse in the rainwater butt then sit in the sun eating what you've grown....life is good!!

Last edited:
Thanks for the video, Harry.

I wish I had your corn, CW. The corn around here has been less than stellar. Probably due to the late frosts we were getting and the unusually dry summer. One of my ears had a worm in it :sick: and the other two very small kernels. Hopefully the later plant will be better.
The rest was good though.

Kylie, some sweet onions and sour cream in the middle and those would be my tacos to a tee. I've gotta ask though... hard shells or soft? ;)

Attachments

• pork steak1.jpg
    pork steak1.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 179
  • pork steak2.jpg
    pork steak2.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 179

I wish I had your corn, CW. The corn around here has been less than stellar. Probably due to the late frosts we were getting and the unusually dry summer. One of my ears had a worm in it :sick: and the other two very small kernels. Hopefully the later plant will be better.

Kylie, some sweet onions and sour cream in the middle and those would be my tacos to a tee. I've gotta ask though... hard shells or soft? ;)
That looks very nice, Pac!

Re: the corn. This year, the cobs are decent sized, the kernel set is excellent, and we are getting corn earlier than normal. This with the drought. We have been watering since about the 8th of July, not every day, but a good soaking every other day. We were also able to get the corn in much earlier than normal (our corn patch has been too wet to plant until late May for the past three years, so it was nice to get the corn in before the 15th of May this year). We have planted these varieties for three or four years. With the rainy summers, we would get small cobs, late in August, and lousy kernel set. We are happily surprised at the size of the cobs, the sweetness, and the kernel set. The DH described the cobs we ate with the wings as "market size." We could have a roadside stand and sell this corn--it is that nice. We don't fertilize the corn, but we did turn in chicken poo this year when we plowed that patch!

Harry--we do eat it raw when we are picking it--but I also only cook it for about 6 minutes, so it is not overcooked. I don't do anything fancy like grill it--I prefer it cooked in water to which a bit of milk and sugar has been added. I was told by a sweet corn grower to start the pot, run out and pick the corn, toss in some milk and sugar, and then the cobs, cover, and simmer for 6 minutes. He was a horticulturist and told me, whether it was true or not, I don't know, that by putting the sugar in the water, the sugar in the corn did not come out. He was from the Netherlands and grew acres of sweet corn. He also had a dairy farm and worked the seasoned cow poo into the fields early in the spring and again in the fall after turning the stalks under.

The success of the corn depends a lot on the soil, when you can get the corn planted, the nutrients in the soil, the weather (very much on the weather after planting, during the growth period, during the tasseling time, and the cob setting time), the amount of rainfall and when you get the rainfall during the growing season. If you miss the window of opportunity re: planting (soil temp right--I think we planted when the soil temp was 18C), rainfall after planting, days of sunshine after the plant starts to tassel, night temps, etc., corn can be a total wash out. It does take a lot of real estate. I have noticed we have a lot of stalks with two cobs each. That is great! And, the stalks are well over 6 ft, which is tall for sweet corn. We must have got something right this year (and the corn goddess must have liked our patch and the chicken poo)!

Last edited:

what,you've got three ears pac? one with a worm & the other two had pigmy army officers in them.....man it's a doctor you need not insecticide:ermm::ohmy::LOL::ROFLMAO:!!!!just kidding buddy......your food looks fab pac:yum:!!

The small kernels means that the corn was picked a bit early--the person picking probably should've waited 3-4 days. It is hard to resist not picking the corn before the kernels are mature (but not overly mature). I've been guilty of that myself. When picking out the corn, pick the ears with the darkest brown silk that droops the most, if that makes sense. When on the stalk, the cob drops away from the stalk AFTER the silk turns brown--the silk can be brown, but the cob is still up tight against the stock. Those cobs usually don't have mature kernels, still good, but the kernels are small. The dropping away from the stalk (combined with the dark brown, "dead" silk), is when I know the cob I'm picking is ready. I didn't grow up on a farm or picking/planting sweet corn, I've had to learn along the way!

Harry--we do eat it raw when we are picking it--but I also only cook it for about 6 minutes, so it is not overcooked. I don't do anything fancy like grill it--I prefer it cooked in water to which a bit of milk and sugar has been added. I was told by a sweet corn grower to start the pot, run out and pick the corn, toss in some milk and sugar, and then the cobs, cover, and simmer for 6 minutes. He was a horticulturist and told me, whether it was true or not, I don't know, that by putting the sugar in the water, the sugar in the corn did not come out. He was from the Netherlands and grew acres of sweet corn. He also had a dairy farm and worked the seasoned cow poo into the fields early in the spring and again in the fall after turning the stalks under.
i'm going to try that method cw,he grows it & cooks it.you grow it & cook it.that's the acid test for me....only talk about what you know about & actually do yourself:rolleyes:;)!

i'm going to try that method cw,he grows it & cooks it.you grow it & cook it.that's the acid test for me....only talk about what you know about & actually do yourself:rolleyes:;)!
If you have fresh sweet cream available, it is even better <g>. I pour in about 1/4 c? Maybe 1-1/2 tsp sugar for 4-6 ears. Oh, the pot is usually at a soft boil by the time I get back from picking and husking the cobs, then I add the millk and sugar, then let the water come back to a soft boil, and toss in the ears. I didn't mention that.

Last edited:
If you have fresh sweet cream available, it is even better <g>. I pour in about 1/4 c? Maybe 1-1/2 tsp sugar for 4-6 ears. Oh, the pot is usually at a soft boil by the time I get back from picking and husking the cobs, then I add the millk and sugar, then let the water come back to a soft boil, and toss in the ears. I didn't mention that.
hmmmmmm,got some left over from my fish pie.so sweet cream? is that just cream with sugar added or is that a term for a type of cream cw?

A savory bass tartare and Cool Whip cannoli with white chocolate-licorice sauce, flash frozen mushrooms, and blue cheese roasted garlic mashed potatoes. :chef:

Last edited:
A savory bass tartare and Cool Whip cannoli with white chocolate-licorice sauce, flash frozen mushrooms, and blue cheese roasted garlic mashed potatoes. :chef:
yum:chef:love white chocolate & licourice but not sure about the combo(not your recipe,my personal taste sweetness wise) could you post the recipe & one for just licourice sauce if you have one mayo?.tried making a licourice sauce once,no recipe just a wing & a prayer stuff.total disaster matey!!!.so if you have one that would be good

Kylie1969 said:
Hey GG :)

We have beef mince and iceberg lettuce, tomatoes and grated cheese and on top either a tomato salsa or taco sauce, usually medium heat :yum:

How do you have yours GG?

We have them all sorts of ways. Sometimes we have them the way you describe. Other times, I'll sprinkle leftover chicken or pork with cumin, chili powder and lime juice, then top it with salsa, pickled onions and Monterey Jack cheese. Sometimes fish tacos with lettuce and Greek yogurt mixed with lime juice and a bit of sugar.

I've been branching out over the last few years, so I'm always looking for new ideas :)

what,you've got three ears pac? one with a worm & the other two had pigmy army officers in them.....man it's a doctor you need not insecticide:ermm::ohmy::LOL::ROFLMAO:!!!!just kidding buddy......your food looks fab pac:yum:!!

Well I would have called them cobs, but I'm afraid what meaning that has over there :ermm:

:LOL:

Dawgluver said:
Let's see. We have leftover pizza, 4 ears of corn, fresh cukes and Ranch dressing, and Mexi-style bean dip. So, browsing/grazing tonight.

We call that a YOYO night at our place.
Your
On
Your
Own

:)

We have them all sorts of ways. Sometimes we have them the way you describe. Other times, I'll sprinkle leftover chicken or pork with cumin, chili powder and lime juice, then top it with salsa, pickled onions and Monterey Jack cheese. Sometimes fish tacos with lettuce and Greek yogurt mixed with lime juice and a bit of sugar.

I've been branching out over the last few years, so I'm always looking for new ideas :)

I have never tried fish tacos GG...may try them next ;)

Back
Top Bottom