"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-07-2012, 06:42 AM   #51
Executive Chef
 
Harry Cobean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Manchester UK
Posts: 2,913
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post

Harry--we do eat it raw when we are picking it--but I also only cook it for about 6 minutes, so it is not overcooked. I don't do anything fancy like grill it--I prefer it cooked in water to which a bit of milk and sugar has been added. I was told by a sweet corn grower to start the pot, run out and pick the corn, toss in some milk and sugar, and then the cobs, cover, and simmer for 6 minutes. He was a horticulturist and told me, whether it was true or not, I don't know, that by putting the sugar in the water, the sugar in the corn did not come out. He was from the Netherlands and grew acres of sweet corn. He also had a dairy farm and worked the seasoned cow poo into the fields early in the spring and again in the fall after turning the stalks under.
i'm going to try that method cw,he grows it & cooks it.you grow it & cook it.that's the acid test for me....only talk about what you know about & actually do yourself!
__________________

__________________
I spent a lot of money on booze,birds & fast cars.The rest I just squandered.
Harry Cobean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 06:44 AM   #52
Chef Extraordinaire
 
CWS4322's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Rural Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 12,328
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Cobean View Post
i'm going to try that method cw,he grows it & cooks it.you grow it & cook it.that's the acid test for me....only talk about what you know about & actually do yourself!
If you have fresh sweet cream available, it is even better <g>. I pour in about 1/4 c? Maybe 1-1/2 tsp sugar for 4-6 ears. Oh, the pot is usually at a soft boil by the time I get back from picking and husking the cobs, then I add the millk and sugar, then let the water come back to a soft boil, and toss in the ears. I didn't mention that.
__________________

__________________
I've got OCD--Obsessive Chicken Disorder!
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums...les-76125.html
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 06:47 AM   #53
Executive Chef
 
Harry Cobean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Manchester UK
Posts: 2,913
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
If you have fresh sweet cream available, it is even better <g>. I pour in about 1/4 c? Maybe 1-1/2 tsp sugar for 4-6 ears. Oh, the pot is usually at a soft boil by the time I get back from picking and husking the cobs, then I add the millk and sugar, then let the water come back to a soft boil, and toss in the ears. I didn't mention that.
hmmmmmm,got some left over from my fish pie.so sweet cream? is that just cream with sugar added or is that a term for a type of cream cw?
__________________
I spent a lot of money on booze,birds & fast cars.The rest I just squandered.
Harry Cobean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 07:05 AM   #54
Sous Chef
 
no mayonnaise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 553
A savory bass tartare and Cool Whip cannoli with white chocolate-licorice sauce, flash frozen mushrooms, and blue cheese roasted garlic mashed potatoes.
__________________
no mayonnaise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 07:40 AM   #55
Executive Chef
 
Harry Cobean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Manchester UK
Posts: 2,913
Quote:
Originally Posted by no mayonnaise View Post
A savory bass tartare and Cool Whip cannoli with white chocolate-licorice sauce, flash frozen mushrooms, and blue cheese roasted garlic mashed potatoes.
yumlove white chocolate & licourice but not sure about the combo(not your recipe,my personal taste sweetness wise) could you post the recipe & one for just licourice sauce if you have one mayo?.tried making a licourice sauce once,no recipe just a wing & a prayer stuff.total disaster matey!!!.so if you have one that would be good
__________________
I spent a lot of money on booze,birds & fast cars.The rest I just squandered.
Harry Cobean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 07:53 AM   #56
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 16,914
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylie1969

Hey GG

We have beef mince and iceberg lettuce, tomatoes and grated cheese and on top either a tomato salsa or taco sauce, usually medium heat

How do you have yours GG?
We have them all sorts of ways. Sometimes we have them the way you describe. Other times, I'll sprinkle leftover chicken or pork with cumin, chili powder and lime juice, then top it with salsa, pickled onions and Monterey Jack cheese. Sometimes fish tacos with lettuce and Greek yogurt mixed with lime juice and a bit of sugar.

I've been branching out over the last few years, so I'm always looking for new ideas
__________________
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 08:12 AM   #57
Chef Extraordinaire
 
pacanis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NW PA
Posts: 18,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Cobean View Post
what,you've got three ears pac? one with a worm & the other two had pigmy army officers in them.....man it's a doctor you need not insecticide!!!!just kidding buddy......your food looks fab pac!!
Well I would have called them cobs, but I'm afraid what meaning that has over there

__________________
Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 12:31 PM   #58
Executive Chef
 
Harry Cobean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Manchester UK
Posts: 2,913
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Well I would have called them cobs, but I'm afraid what meaning that has over there

fair comment pac!
__________________
I spent a lot of money on booze,birds & fast cars.The rest I just squandered.
Harry Cobean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 12:44 AM   #59
Executive Chef
 
chopper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Colorado
Posts: 4,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver
Let's see. We have leftover pizza, 4 ears of corn, fresh cukes and Ranch dressing, and Mexi-style bean dip. So, browsing/grazing tonight.
We call that a YOYO night at our place.
Your
On
Your
Own

:)
__________________
No matter where I serve my guests, it seems they like my kitchen best!
chopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 04:31 AM   #60
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Kylie1969's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Australia
Posts: 13,936
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
We have them all sorts of ways. Sometimes we have them the way you describe. Other times, I'll sprinkle leftover chicken or pork with cumin, chili powder and lime juice, then top it with salsa, pickled onions and Monterey Jack cheese. Sometimes fish tacos with lettuce and Greek yogurt mixed with lime juice and a bit of sugar.

I've been branching out over the last few years, so I'm always looking for new ideas
I have never tried fish tacos GG...may try them next
__________________

__________________
All I really need is love, but a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt
Kylie1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
dinner

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:33 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.