What's Cooking? April 12, 2012

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zhizara

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
Today will be a cooking day for me.

So far, I've got a pot of 15 bean mix I started yesterday, with an added chicken thigh to make a chicken stock base. It's rested overnight, so today will be to add some of the pork meat from the shoulder I cooked previously.

I'm also trying some Pepperidge Farms stuffing with sausage casserole. I'm thinking I'll cook the whole package up and freeze a couple of portions and bake as the casserole after thawing.

I braised a nice 3# chuck roast the other day, and will use part to make a beef stew today, adding some regular size carrots and fresh celery. I think these carrots are tastier than the mini ones. Those take forever to get tender!

I also picked up another 10# chicken legs so I'll separate the drumsticks from the thighs and package for the freezer. I usually bag the drumsticks in a sandwich bag. As many as will fit in a bag is just the right amount for making a chicken soup/stock or even a dinner.

What are you cooking today?

Last edited:
No leftovers from yesterday because we enjoyed supper at Glenn's daughter's house. It's chilled down a bit today (Possible frost last night, but I didn't see any evidence of it when I got up.), so I'm thinkin' it's a chili kind of day. I have a pound of ground pork I got on special at the market on Tuesday and I'll begin with that and then go wherever inspiration takes me. I've already taken out a loaf of homemade French bread from the freezer to go with and there's salad fixin's in the fridge. We'll have the last of the Easter blood orange cheesecake for dessert. That ought to do it for the two of us tonight.

I was planning on beef stew, but since we are now going over to our friends' house so James can fix their computer, we will probably be eating over there. So tonight's dinner is a mystery. :cool:

I found a pair of very mignon filets in the freezer so that's what's for dinner tonight.

Not sure what the sides are. Still have some sesame noodles left or I could do a sweet potato. Neither one excites me with steak.

Salads for sure. I have some steaks I could cook. That was the original plan but the yungun is still in bed:huh:. Of course he didn't go there until around 6:30am. Not sure if he'll want steak for breakfast!:LOL: I have enough stuff for grilled ham and cheese sandwiches with chips and dip and salads so that my be what happens.

The Ottawa Senators vs. the New York Rangers for some playoff action tonight. I am doing up some wings, and my girlfriend is bringing a rack of ribs home from the deli, so its, rah rah rah!!!, gnaw gnaw gnaw!!

Egg casserole of some sort. I cut a bunch of fresh chives, will maybe add a bit of blue cheese and whatever else I can find. Side of 6 bean salad.

Pork loin roast, brined and seasoned with coarse ground s & p. Stir fried asparagus, onion, mushrooms, and red pepper and lastly, long grain and wild rice. Salad was a killer coleslaw.

I have Pork Pissole of sorts on the stove. Pork shoulder chunks, tri colored bell pepper, white onion, fire roasted canned tomatoes, yellow hominy, and lots of Mexican spices and chili's.

I have a terrible head cold. I haven't had a cold in years and I'm hoping this spicy dinner will help clear my head. If not I may have to resort to a hot toddy before bed tonight. :wacko:

I have Pork Pissole of sorts on the stove. Pork shoulder chunks, tri colored bell pepper, white onion, fire roasted canned tomatoes, yellow hominy, and lots of Mexican spices and chili's.

I have a terrible head cold. I haven't had a cold in years and I'm hoping this spicy dinner will help clear my head. If not I may have to resort to a hot toddy before bed tonight. :wacko:

This turned out really good on this rainy night. I topped it with grated Jack cheese, chopped cilantro and a flame toasted flour tortilla on the side.

img_1128543_0_2bf9b9f79325a6e437606f42deaedb9b.jpg

Kayelle said:
This turned out really good on this rainy night. I topped it with grated Jack cheese, chopped cilantro and a flame toasted flour tortilla on the side.

Looks yummy, Kayelle!

That looks so good, Kayelle!

I ate at a fancy club tonight, had to listen to a drug sales rep for an hour, but the food was worth it.

Hors d'ouvers: Crab Crostini with Pico de gallo, various Italian meats and cheeses, black and green olives, not sure what kind but they were very tasty.

Salad: Nappa Cabbage with fennel, granny smith apples, cilantro, Calvados and Ginger Vinaigrette and shaved Pecorino.

Entree: Med Rare Ahi Tuna with spicy seasoning, Crispy rice, julienned spring peas, gloppy stuff on the plate that tasted good.

Dessert: Strawberry Sorbet

Beverage: Iced Tea...there was wine, but since I DON'T drink and drive...

Chicken rollatini stuffed with spinach, ricotta & parmesan cheese, topped with tomato/vodka sauce & shredded mozzarella cheese & baked. Thin spaghetti and steamed broccoli with fresh lemon juice & S&P on the side.

Back
Top Bottom