What's Cooking? April 14, 2012

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've spent the last dozen minutes perusing their website and have only two issues (1) it appears that you have to pay online to order online, although perhaps they accept phone orders, and (2) I can't believe, just can't believe! that they don't have onion rings or particularly those close sliced fried onion ring bunches. I'd almost try them tomorrow but I crave onion rings, particularly the thin ones...

I'll try them anyway, soon. They have lots of adds for their cheeseburgers (particularly mushrooms and grilled onions). I didn't see any option to pick what cheese.

It appears to me that they've gone overboard to make online ordering and texting ordering easy. Perhaps this is the new face of fast food, text it and either drive it or have them deliver.

Last edited:
In regards to 5 Guys, I haven't personally ate there but when they put one in close to my old workplace, people were lined up for miles trying to get in. :wacko:

In regards to 5 Guys, I haven't personally ate there but when they put one in close to my old workplace, people were lined up for miles trying to get in. :wacko:

That's because they are the best place to get a burger, ever!!! And they cheerfully double fry to french fries if you ask them to. A regular order of FF is enough for two people.

Looking at your source recipe it looks like a typical Pad Krapow "stir fry with Holy basil." I usually make mine moo (pork) which is the traditional form of this recipe made from ground pork, although as with all Asian recipes you can translate into chicken, pork , beef, shrimp, ground or whole pieces, etc. This is one of the things that I love about Asian cooking, that you can switch so freely between different protein groups or within groups between various forms (ground, whole, fillets, skinless, skin on and bone in, etc.).

A tip: (1) fry an egg per serving and serve the egg right over the top, and (2) squeeze about half a lime over each serving. Yep, right over the egg!

Here's a picture:
3400089338_64762d1e9b.jpg

And try to use Thai basil, Holy basil, whatever instead of Western sweet basil. That adds a whole new but subtle dimension.

I don't mean to offend anyone, but I think that a fried egg over this meal is gross. No need for the extra protein. JMO

I don't mean to offend anyone, but I think that a fried egg over this meal is gross. No need for the extra protein. JMO

You are certainly welcome to your opinion but if you Google pad krapaow moo recipes (kra pow, kaprao, gra pow, etc.) -- Thai stir fried pork with basil (usually ground pork, usually Thai basil or Holy basil) -- you will discover that serving a fried egg over is very common and traditional in this recipe.

It is not a situation of extra protein. It is the taste of the egg itself which modifies and adds further taste dimensions to this recipe, it's one of those synergistic things where the sum is greater than the individual parts.

I can't say that in my own recipes I put any accent on traditionalism, but I'm often surprised when I try traditional recipes that I discover there are reasons why they're traditional.

Honestly, serving a fried egg over pad krapow moo would never have occurred to me had I not seen it in my Thai cookbooks. I tried it. It was good.

Last edited:
That's because they are the best place to get a burger, ever!!! And they cheerfully double fry to french fries if you ask them to. A regular order of FF is enough for two people.
It's nice to know that others appreciate double fried French fries. They are seriously better than single fried.

They are unbelievably good. No onion rings, true, but they cut their own fries from real potatoes, unlike most places these days.
You mean like real, fresh potatoes rather than thawing a bag out of the freezer?

They could make me happier only by leaving the skins on instead of peeling them, and double frying them like PF suggested.

Or they could make those delicious thin cut onion ring clumps like Chili's. :yum:

The Five guys FF are hand cut daily, from whole un-peeled potatoes. Fried in peanut oil. They keep their quality high and their prices decent by having a limited menu.

You are certainly welcome to your opinion but if you Google pad krapaow moo recipes (kra pow, kaprao, gra pow, etc.) -- Thai stir fried pork with basil (usually ground pork, usually Thai basil or Holy basil) -- you will discover that serving a fried egg over is very common and traditional in this recipe.

It is not a situation of extra protein. It is the taste of the egg itself which modifies and adds further taste dimensions to this recipe, it's one of those synergistic things where the sum is greater than the individual parts.

I can't say that in my own recipes I put any accent on traditionalism, but I'm often surprised when I try traditional recipes that I discover there are reasons why they're traditional.

Honestly, serving a fried egg over pad krapow moo would never have occurred to me had I not seen it in my Thai cookbooks. I tried it. It was good.

While that may be very common I still think it is gross and not necessary. Some Asian dishes that include eggs I have always thought was to add protein. Still gross to me. That dish looks tasty, why yuck it up with a half fried egg? Again JMO:chef:

I am baking a pie with cream cheese and honey.
And i am going to sprinkle some cinnamon powder on top when i serve it.

Back
Top Bottom