What's Cooking At your House Saturday December 17th?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Looks and sounds good, patty! I haven't had haddock in a long time. I love it pan-fried, but I prefer it broiled with alittle lemon, butter and Old Bay seasoning. I miss the fish-fries I used to get in NY. That was some good haddock!

Your salad looks good.. what were all the ingredients? It's kind of hard to see.

Ice Burg and Romaine Lettuce, Radish, Celery, Cucumber, Onion and Shredded Carrot. The Romaine photographed off color. Damm camera phone.
Years ago I used to cook it in the microwave. I just don't remember how long.
I have broiled it a long time ago. Now I just pan fry it in canola oil then drain on paper towels.

Last edited:
Went with the Beef Bourguignon so glad I did! It was delish! Served it with mashed garlic parsley potatoes, fresh buttered green beans and a salad of spring greens, pears, and mandarin oranges dressed with a simple mandarin/olive oil dressing, also a little crusty bread on the side. It all went well with a glass of the Merlot that I opened to use in the Bourguignon .

image-2492945024.jpg

image-3494627106.jpg

DH wasn't as enamored as I was, I think that he would have appreciated my regular beef stew more. But I loved it!

we went christmas shopping again today. mom and dad are now taken care of.

on the way home we went out for italian to a place that specializes in homemade pasta. to be honest, the pasta isn't really great as advertised - just ok i guess, but it's not expensive and the food is good.

we shared a family style house salad of baby greens, marinated onions, and fresh mozzarella in a balsamic viniagrette.

then my boy had sketti and meatballs, dw had garlic shrimp over spinach linguini, and i had pork osso buco over risotto.

:pig::pig::pig:

Went with the Beef Bourguignon so glad I did! It was delish! Served it with mashed garlic parsley potatoes, fresh buttered green beans and a salad of spring greens, pears, and mandarin oranges dressed with a simple mandarin/olive oil dressing, also a little crusty bread on the side. It all went well with a glass of the Merlot that I opened to use in the Bourguignon .

View attachment 12635

View attachment 12636

DH wasn't as enamored as I was, I think that he would have appreciated my regular beef stew more. But I loved it!

Ahhh, everything looks delish! I love the ingredients of your salad. I wish Mark liked pears. I think the two fruits paired well with the greens.

It's been ages since I made beef bourguignon. It was in the crock-pot, I think. Great pictures.

Small bread, leftover cold pork roast sandwich - not worth a picture. I'm so impressed with everyone's photos here!

Yesterday went christmas shopping for my girl. Believe it or not I bought her some boxing equipment. She wants to learn how to box.

Last night we went to a salvadorian restaurant and I tried for the first time papusa. Is a bread shaped like a pancake. One was stuffed with fried smashed beans and the other stuffed with chicken. the topping is shredded cabbage with carrots, onions marinated in this delicious vinaigrette.

I've never made beef bourg... (you know what I mean). It looks like stew. And it looks delicious.
How is it different from stew? Do you have a recipe, Somebunny?

View attachment 12635

View attachment 12636

sb, you've captured the essence of my dream comfort food in your beautiful. sliky, beef bourguignon!:) i love the accompanying salad too! it's really a pity that dhes generally don't take well to change of any kind....:)

Last edited:
Wow, You have a lot of ambition to make a dinner like that and head out to play most of the night! I would just like to snuggle in front of the tv or the fireplace. I hope your night went well. Your dinner sure did!
I usually try and eat well before a night of work. Sometimes I am up until 3 or 4 am, so it is a long time to go without eating. Some nights I would rather hit the couch with a movie, too. But that doesn't pay the bills around here.:wacko::(

And, thanks! The night did go well. A room full of drunk people at a company xmas party tends to be an easy crowd.

Last edited:
oh yes, beer (or stout, maybe?) lends itself very companionably to beef in a robust beef stew with root vegetables--mmm yea! i'll be doing that one myself here fairly soon now....:)

Thanks Alix! I'll check it out after this post.

yeah... :angel:
I never had Carbonnade De Boeuf either... at least not in French :LOL: I may have had the English version ;)
The recipe I use is loaded with onions, which cook down quite well, and it is important to use a dark stout or ale to get the desired flavor. I rarely use carrots or potatoes in this stew(I like to serve them boiled on the side) and then add some sauteed mushrooms on top for the last 10 or 15 minutes. Or, you could do it up like Flammande, which is Belgian version and has a bit of vinegar added to give it a sour tang......

OK. so basically it is beef stew with red wine added. I guess I was expecting something a little more.

The recipe I use is loaded with onions, which cook down quite well, and it is important to use a dark stout or ale to get the desired flavor. I rarely use carrots or potatoes in this stew(I like to serve them boiled on the side) and then add some sauteed mushrooms on top for the last 10 or 15 minutes. Or, you could do it up like Flammande, which is Belgian version and has a bit of vinegar added to give it a sour tang......

Thanks. I'll give this a try, too, Rock.
I did make a pork dish one time that had beer in it and vinegar. It was ok, but that was a long time ago. As a matter of fact I ate the dish in Canada. It was the meal I made for our annual fishing trip up to Lake Simcoe.

Back
Top Bottom