"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 01-11-2012, 11:22 AM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Crepes?! You mean like real crepes? lol
Thanks for the idea. I never made crepes before. I'll probably give them a go sometime.
Crepes are just thinner pancakes. They are very easy to make and don't take a lot of time. I don't recall chilling the batter before, but it has been awhile since I've made crepes (and I've never made them with wild rice flour before...I'll report back on whether I liked them or not).

Old 01-11-2012, 11:33 AM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Crepes?! You mean like real crepes? lol
Thanks for the idea. I never made crepes before. I'll probably give them a go sometime.

Omigosh! Crepes are soooo easy to make. Most of the time I have a "stash" of already made crepes in the freezer to put together a quick and delicious meal.

One of our favorites is Coquilles St. Jacques crepes, which is a take on the original seafood dish that's served in a scallop shell. Instead, this is served in a crepe. Oh, soooo good. I'd post the recipe but it falls under copyright laws, so I can't.

I have an entire cookbook that has nothing but recipes using crepes for the main course...and desserts. I've used the book so much the pages are yellowing and it's falling apart.

You don't really need a cookbook either. Just let your imagination fly.

Old 01-11-2012, 11:40 AM   #13
Executive Chef

I who have all the time in the world, made an appointment that runs through the dinner hour without the dinner part, plus travel time back and forth. I would like to make something else, but I think it will be grilled cheese and can a' soup late afternoon.
Old 01-11-2012, 11:43 AM   #14
Assistant Cook

I'm grilling lamb, making lemony roasted potatoes, spinach sauteed with EVOO, dill and mint, tzaziki, and lastly I'm marinating some grape tomatoes with olive oil, sea salt, and garlic. It's Greek night tonight! Opa!
Old 01-11-2012, 11:50 AM   #15
Master Chef

Site Administrator

I pulled a couple of chicken breasts out of the freezer and will be making those with a lemon sauce & capers.
Old 01-11-2012, 12:13 PM   #16
Master Chef

Yesterday was so beautiful here, 55 and sunny, that I could not stand being at work, so I left early and went home. Of course since I was home everybody expected me to make dinner, which I was happy to do, especially because all they wanted was pizza. Doesnít get easier than that. I am too lazy to make my own dough, so I buy frozen Rhodes pizza dough. And there is a result below.
Since it was still pretty early I thought I better use up dough leftovers from making pierogies on Sunday, so I decided to make ravioli or as we call them in Russian pelímeni. Using my neat Pelímeni maker I made, oh about 170 or so. The picks. Below. The rest of the meat filling I was going to make meat sauce for spaghetti, but my daughter talk me into making meatballs which I completely messed up. I forgot to add eggs and bread crumbs. My wife will have to make some sauce and noodles and they will have somewhat addible dinner.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04723.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	12801   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04648.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	12802  

Name:	DSC04649.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	12803   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04650.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	12804  

Name:	DSC04651.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	12805  
Old 01-11-2012, 12:17 PM   #17
Master Chef

If you wondering why pizza looks so weird it is becasue everybody in the family gets their choice. My wife like onions and peppers, my yongest daugter likes everything, but cheese, my middle daughter likes cheese but not anything else, my oldest daughter and I like everything.
Also i forgot to take picture of the final product, sorry. I think I was just tooo tired by then, same reason I messed up meatballs.
Old 01-11-2012, 12:19 PM   #18
Master Chef

Frank, do you have the recipe for lemon sauce?
Old 01-11-2012, 12:25 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Crepes are just thinner pancakes. They are very easy to make and don't take a lot of time. I don't recall chilling the batter before, but it has been awhile since I've made crepes (and I've never made them with wild rice flour before...I'll report back on whether I liked them or not).
Loved the flavour. However, appearance wise, well, they were a mess. I should have followed my instinct and not chilled the batter. I had to thin it with more milk. I should have also used 1/2 and 1/2 AP and wild rice flour...I couldn't roll them--they fell apart, so I did "flat crepes" filled with the egg-ham-cheese, drizzled with maple syrup. But wild rice, maple glazed ham, scrambled egg, and smoked gouda, topped with some of our dark maple syrup, was wonderful (provided one likes wild rice, ham, smoked gouda, egg, and maple syrup). I'll be making more crepes...I'd forgotten how easy they are to make. I used to make crepes for my manicotti. That's going on my list of dishes to make before the end of the winter.
Old 01-11-2012, 12:26 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
Yesterday was so beautiful here, 55 and sunny, that I could not stand being at work, so I left early and went home. Of course since I was home everybody expected me to make dinner, which I was happy to do, especially because all they wanted was pizza. Doesnít get easier than that. I am too lazy to make my own dough, so I buy frozen Rhodes pizza dough. And there is a result below.
Since it was still pretty early I thought I better use up dough leftovers from making pierogies on Sunday, so I decided to make ravioli or as we call them in Russian pelímeni. Using my neat Pelímeni maker I made, oh about 170 or so. The picks. Below. The rest of the meat filling I was going to make meat sauce for spaghetti, but my daughter talk me into making meatballs which I completely messed up. I forgot to add eggs and bread crumbs. My wife will have to make some sauce and noodles and they will have somewhat addible dinner.
Looks GREAT! Where does one get a Pel'meni maker?

Tags
cooking