What's Cooking for Wednesday January 11th?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LPBeier

Certified Cake Maniac
Moderator Emeritus
Wow, I am first today. Then again it is 6 am here and I am not usually up this time of day.

With Dad still in the hospital (and getting better every day - he should be out by the weekend) and DH and I both fighting bugs, there haven't been many structured meals this week. But I have some ribs I was going to do in the slow cooker today and will make a batch of my BBQ sauce. I will make some wedge fries with the new fryer I got from my sweetie for Christmas and some coleslaw.

What's on your menu?

I feel the need for...stuffed bell peppers.

Have all the makins for some yummy Italian-style stuffed peppers. Wanted to make them yesterday, but time didn't allow.

Not sure what else but, as the day goes, I'm sure I'll settle on the sides.

Good question. I imagine it will have to be something soft again...
I had a filling repaired a few weeks ago and now it needs fixed. And I am not a soup eater. Not twice in 30 days anyway, lol.

pacanis, sounds like breakfast for dinner. Limp bacon, eggs and toast for you.

We're doing cornflake chicken by special request today, (DD#2) and killer coleslaw also by special request (DD#1). Sides are as yet to be determined. I was thinking quinoa, but LP's comment about fries has me thinking I might do that myself. Haven't done those in ages! I think I'll do some broccoli or brussels sprouts for myself too. Mmmmm!

Anytime my friend! You've given me a few ideas for dinners in the last few years, its about time I returned the favor!

Good question. I imagine it will have to be something soft again...
I had a filling repaired a few weeks ago and now it needs fixed. And I am not a soup eater. Not twice in 30 days anyway, lol.
I just posted a link in the breakfast thread to a savory crepe recipe that I'm making for breakfast (lunch). Scroll past the pea soup recipe.

Jan. 12, 2012: Quebecois-Style Pea Soup | CTV News

This might be something you could try, using limp bacon, scrambled egg...

Crepes?! You mean like real crepes? lol
Thanks for the idea. I never made crepes before. I'll probably give them a go sometime.

Thanks for the idea. I never made crepes before. I'll probably give them a go sometime.
Crepes are just thinner pancakes. They are very easy to make and don't take a lot of time. I don't recall chilling the batter before, but it has been awhile since I've made crepes (and I've never made them with wild rice flour before...I'll report back on whether I liked them or not).

Omigosh! Crepes are soooo easy to make. Most of the time I have a "stash" of already made crepes in the freezer to put together a quick and delicious meal.

One of our favorites is Coquilles St. Jacques crepes, which is a take on the original seafood dish that's served in a scallop shell. Instead, this is served in a crepe. Oh, soooo good. I'd post the recipe but it falls under copyright laws, so I can't.

I have an entire cookbook that has nothing but recipes using crepes for the main course...and desserts. I've used the book so much the pages are yellowing and it's falling apart.

You don't really need a cookbook either. Just let your imagination fly.

I who have all the time in the world, made an appointment that runs through the dinner hour without the dinner part, plus travel time back and forth. I would like to make something else, but I think it will be grilled cheese and can a' soup late afternoon.

I'm grilling lamb, making lemony roasted potatoes, spinach sauteed with EVOO, dill and mint, tzaziki, and lastly I'm marinating some grape tomatoes with olive oil, sea salt, and garlic. It's Greek night tonight! Opa!

I pulled a couple of chicken breasts out of the freezer and will be making those with a lemon sauce & capers.

Yesterday was so beautiful here, 55 and sunny, that I could not stand being at work, so I left early and went home. Of course since I was home everybody expected me to make dinner, which I was happy to do, especially because all they wanted was pizza. Doesn’t get easier than that. I am too lazy to make my own dough, so I buy frozen Rhodes pizza dough. And there is a result below.
Since it was still pretty early I thought I better use up dough leftovers from making pierogies on Sunday, so I decided to make ravioli or as we call them in Russian pel’meni. Using my neat Pel’meni maker I made, oh about 170 or so. The picks. Below. The rest of the meat filling I was going to make meat sauce for spaghetti, but my daughter talk me into making meatballs which I completely messed up. I forgot to add eggs and bread crumbs. My wife will have to make some sauce and noodles and they will have somewhat addible dinner.

Attachments

• DSC04723.jpg
    DSC04723.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 182
  • DSC04648.jpg
    DSC04648.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 153
  • DSC04649.jpg
    DSC04649.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 174
  • DSC04650.jpg
    DSC04650.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 168
  • DSC04651.jpg
    DSC04651.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 157
If you wondering why pizza looks so weird it is becasue everybody in the family gets their choice. My wife like onions and peppers, my yongest daugter likes everything, but cheese, my middle daughter likes cheese but not anything else, my oldest daughter and I like everything.
Also i forgot to take picture of the final product, sorry. I think I was just tooo tired by then, same reason I messed up meatballs.

Crepes are just thinner pancakes. They are very easy to make and don't take a lot of time. I don't recall chilling the batter before, but it has been awhile since I've made crepes (and I've never made them with wild rice flour before...I'll report back on whether I liked them or not).
Loved the flavour. However, appearance wise, well, they were a mess. I should have followed my instinct and not chilled the batter. I had to thin it with more milk. I should have also used 1/2 and 1/2 AP and wild rice flour...I couldn't roll them--they fell apart, so I did "flat crepes" filled with the egg-ham-cheese, drizzled with maple syrup. But wild rice, maple glazed ham, scrambled egg, and smoked gouda, topped with some of our dark maple syrup, was wonderful (provided one likes wild rice, ham, smoked gouda, egg, and maple syrup). I'll be making more crepes...I'd forgotten how easy they are to make. I used to make crepes for my manicotti. That's going on my list of dishes to make before the end of the winter.

Yesterday was so beautiful here, 55 and sunny, that I could not stand being at work, so I left early and went home. Of course since I was home everybody expected me to make dinner, which I was happy to do, especially because all they wanted was pizza. Doesn’t get easier than that. I am too lazy to make my own dough, so I buy frozen Rhodes pizza dough. And there is a result below.
Since it was still pretty early I thought I better use up dough leftovers from making pierogies on Sunday, so I decided to make ravioli or as we call them in Russian pel’meni. Using my neat Pel’meni maker I made, oh about 170 or so. The picks. Below. The rest of the meat filling I was going to make meat sauce for spaghetti, but my daughter talk me into making meatballs which I completely messed up. I forgot to add eggs and bread crumbs. My wife will have to make some sauce and noodles and they will have somewhat addible dinner.
Looks GREAT! Where does one get a Pel'meni maker?

Back
Top Bottom