What's cooking Friday 10/7/2016?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

msmofet

Chef Extraordinaire
Going shopping after pick DD up from work I feel like having rocket salad and steak.

My grandson Tyler will be here for dinner - we're having roast chicken, broccoli, whole grain rice, and sliced apples.

Chocolate caramel ice cream for dessert.

Last edited:
I used to make this retro easy baked pork dish a lot when my kids were at home. Then I used pork shoulder steaks, and today I used meaty country style pork shoulder "ribs". It's just as simple as layering.
Salt and pepper the pork.
On each piece of pork,
Layer...
Some brown sugar (2 Tbs or so),
A few raw onion rings,
The same amount of Chili Sauce, or Ketchup
Thin sliced lemon on top of all.
Bake at 250 degrees for 2 hrs, and finish at 400 degrees for 30 minutes.

img_1483127_0_4a256b49cb5b7e08c3f4957b1fea33e0.jpg

I'm ashamed to say that all I had was tuna salad. I toss in a big squirt of anchovy paste, and a table spoon or so of capers along with the usual suspects.

I'm ashamed to say that all I had was tuna salad. I toss in a big squirt of anchovy paste, and a table spoon or so of capers along with the usual suspects.

What is there to be ashamed about? We're not all cheffy here! Sounds good to me!

Nice nice, Kay!

I'm currently dealing with the doorless freezer incident. We dragged two heavy coolers over to the neighbor's. Down the basement. He's out of town, but I take care of his house while he's gone, and have his code. I'm on my way over to make sure it's cold enough now, so I can load it.

One of our local gas stations makes the best pulled pork sandwiches. Lots of burnt ends, along with pickles and minced onions, and fresh buns. Oddly, they're only available on certain days, and we never know which days. Apparently it's a secret.

Last edited:
how about my stove!!!!

went to heat up some chicken strips went to preheat the oven about 10 minutes into it i see an orange glow from the window.

i open up to see the inside of oven on fire withpopcorn and a melting bowl in the middle. got small fire extinguisher went to blast it it was dead... but needle still in green.

called 911 and they had to get fire trucks here before it got too out of hand... they were at an oktoberfest parade too so i am embarrased about that as well.

we are all safe but out a stove now and i am cleaning up white dust everywhere.

my 5 year old daughter had microwave popcorn in a plastic bowl and set it in the oven to keep the cat from eating it. i was unaware of it.

take it as a lesson from an idiot...

Tonight was lamb chops nicely seasoned and browned then simmered in water, lemon juice, fresh garlic and gravy master. Green salad side and a nice chilled white zin. The best part is nibbling the meat off the little rib bones and sucking all the garlic and lemon off them :angel::blush:

Last edited:
We had leftover creamy chicken-poblano soup over leftover stuffed poblano filling (rice, veggies and seasonings). Good stuff :yum:

(Kayelle, we're supposed to have a lot of rain this weekend, so I'll type up the recipe and post it :) )

how about my stove!!!!

went to heat up some chicken strips went to preheat the oven about 10 minutes into it i see an orange glow from the window.

i open up to see the inside of oven on fire withpopcorn and a melting bowl in the middle. got small fire extinguisher went to blast it it was dead... but needle still in green.

called 911 and they had to get fire trucks here before it got too out of hand... they were at an oktoberfest parade too so i am embarrased about that as well.

we are all safe but out a stove now and i am cleaning up white dust everywhere.

my 5 year old daughter had microwave popcorn in a plastic bowl and set it in the oven to keep the cat from eating it. i was unaware of it.

take it as a lesson from an idiot...

This is very bad. I keep a fire extinguisher by the stove too, haven't had to use it yet. Glad everything was OK!

[B said:
GotGarlic;1483137]We had leftover creamy chicken-poblano soup[/B] over leftover stuffed poblano filling (rice, veggies and seasonings). Good stuff :yum:

(Kayelle, we're supposed to have a lot of rain this weekend, so I'll type up the recipe and post it :) )

GG, could you write out that soup recipe when you have a chance??:yum:

Sure. I wrote down the ingredients I used when I made it. I just need to type them into my Living Cookbook software along with the method and then I'll post it. I'll include variations, too, since I used stuff I had in the fridge that needed to be used.

Browned some beautiful lamb shanks in the slow cooker then threw in the prerequisite carrots, celery'n onions. Some broth, some garlic, rosemary and parsley. At the end I added some left over potatoes found at the back of the fridge. Thickened with Potato starch. Started that up for my visiting daughter.

I had mussels (she won't touch them):yum::pig::LOL:
Small chopped romas, jalapeno, garlic, cayenne, paprika, lil broth. I also threw in some tiny frozen pearl onions, just to be different.

think that one whole (seeded) jalapeno was a bit much, it was spicy!!! I used the whole thing because it was quite aged and I thought they lost their heat with time... guess not!:ROFLMAO:

I still have 2 more meals from the mussels to go... will try to make them different, maybe one with bacon & cream? Heard of that many times but not tried it yet.

how about my stove!!!!...my 5 year old daughter had microwave popcorn in a plastic bowl and set it in the oven to keep the cat from eating it. i was unaware of it...
Oh NO! At least you were all safe. ~ When our son was in his teens he decided he could heat up what was left in his bag of microwaved popcorn in the toaster oven. While it was still IN the paper bag. :bash: And to think he was in the "gifted" program. Book smart, life stoopid. *sigh*

My head was hurting on and off in sympathy for all of you going through the low pressure weather. Hence, my late post for Friday night's supper. I made salads, and then we had cheesy scalloped potatoes and ham, with steamed broccoli.

Attachments

• 2016-10-07 22.41.50.jpg
    2016-10-07 22.41.50.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 93
Back
Top Bottom