What's cooking Friday April 1, 2011

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, inspiration finally struck...sort of. Took out a package of beer brats from the freezer. Those'll go on the grill. Noticed there was a nice big bag of hash browns there, as well as some of the last of our corn-on-the-cob from our garden last summer. Kind of a strange combination, but we love everything. I just put several jars of assorted pickles in the fridge that I canned last summer, so we'll have some of those, too. Raisin pie for dessert.

Yesterday local grocery had a special on big shrimp straight from Key West. They were pretty big - only took 5 to make a half pound, heads & all. Last night I dredged the tails in panko and fried them. Heads and shells went into a saucepot so today I have some shrimp stock to use. Thought I'd do some bowtie pasta w/little shrimp from a can (I ate all 5 of the big ones, oink, oink) in a stock/lemon/butter sauce. There's fresh parsley out back, but wish I had thought to buy green onions.

For real this time.:) We went to a shop called The Cheese Course and picked up a couple triple cremes, a nice roquefort, a peccorino infused with white truffle and we had some parm already. We also picked up some prosciutto, capicola, genoa, some fruit, a baguette and some champagne to wash it down. I made some good coin in the last 2 weeks, so we decided to indulge a little. I suggested either a flower bottle of Pierre Jouet (I was even going to suggest Krug) but Karen went with a little less expensive make.

Craig

Last edited:
I liked your Plan B idea, Frank, but baking a loaf of Italian bread wasn't in the plans today. And you just can't have spaghetti without good bread :chef:
So... I went back to the town grocer and paced the meat counter for a while... I bought one of those small 2.5 lb prime rib roasts that were around for New Years. Not for tonight's dinner, but maybe tomorrow or Sunday. It has some very nice marbling. Then I decided on a pork loin roast for tonight. I'll cut that in half (or something) and use half of it in place of the tenderloin I wanted to butterfly and stuff.

Yesterday was the END of the curling season (that sport where you throw rocks down the ice and sweep like crazy...). The league always does a "meeting" with Chinese food. Since there was tons of food left over, we each had to bring some home--leftover Chinese for me.

Yesterday was the END of the curling season (that sport where you throw rocks down the ice and sweep like crazy...). The league always does a "meeting" with Chinese food. Since there was tons of food left over, we each had to bring some home--leftover Chinese for me.

Hey CW, you are a curler! Are you going to be watching the Brier starting tomorrow? It is in Regina, my home town. I never curled (we moved to BC when I was 7...average age they start them in Sask!:LOL:) but my whole family did. I never got to take up the sport but love watching it!

It was so hot today, neither one of us wanted a hot meal. I made two huge shrimp louie salads and they really fit the ticket.
Rock inspired me yesterday with a picture of that gorgeous seafood salad he made. I wish I had taken a picture of these.

I used a combo of hearts of romaine, and baby spinach for the base. Topped it with some leftover macaroni salad I made yesterday,quartered artichoke hearts, sliced avocado, pickled beet slices, sliced green onions, grape tomatoes, wedges of hard cooked eggs, and large cooked shrimp. The Louie sauce I made for the side was delish.
:chef:

Sounds like a wonderful salad. Thanks for the tip. I will use that one for a special next friday in our cafe.

It's lent... rolled/stuffed pork roast! Along with mashed cauliflower and B sprouts.

Attachments

• stuffed pork1.jpg
    stuffed pork1.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 181
  • stuffed pork2.jpg
    stuffed pork2.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 167
  • stuffed pork3.jpg
    stuffed pork3.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 171
We decided to have pizza. One plain cheese with extra cheese and one extra cheese, mushrooms, onions, and green peppers.
Yum! That sounds good too. Our pizza had onions, roma tomatoes, mushrooms, green olives & extra cheese. I don't think there is a bad pizza out there.

Back
Top Bottom