What's Cooking? Independence Day, July 4, 2015

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zhizara

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
It's a beautiful day.

I finished my monthly major shopping yesterday, and am making headway on the results.

I've completed prepping jobs and have moved on to cooking.

I braised a gorgeous chuck roast yesterday and have a nice big beef stew finishing up on the stove.

There's plenty of beef now in the freezer for later use.

Oyster stew is cooling and ready for my lunch to enjoy in a few minuter.

Also made is cucumber slices marinating in apple cider vinegar, rice vinegar and Balsamic vinegar with lots of dill along with a little Tarragon.

What's cooking at your place??

We're going to my younger son's house for a barbeque later. I can't wait to play with baby Cheyenne.
I'm putting together Cheryl's southwestern salad http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f11/black-bean-and-corn-salad-92149.html
and adding some sliced black olives to it.
I'm also doing my favorite cucumber and onion salad with rice vinegar, sugar and white pepper.

Do you slice your cucumbers paper thin on a mandolin, Z?

Last edited:
It raining, kids are doing their own thing with their families, wife is working, so i am making angle hair pasta with sausage, and home made italian bread.

Kay, I haven't made the Black Bean and Corn Salad in quite some time - I think that'll be on the menu this coming week. Thanks for the reminder - love that stuff! :yum:

Not too much planned for today - I might grill some chicken thighs, but most likely I'll just throw together a loaded up salad and have that, with some peaches and apricots from the farmers market.

My daughter and SIL are taking Tyler out by fairgrounds to see the fireworks display. They usually park nearby in the desert and can get a clear view without actually being at the fairgrounds. I'll probably walk around the block to the next street over, I can get a nice view of them from there. :)

That's kind of where I'm at Steve. :) I have lots of farmers market produce here that needs to be used up, I'd hate to see it go to waste.

We have two menus going here; which one is selected is weather-dependent. IF it's raining, we'll have beer-simmered-bratwurst and kraut sandwiches, my homemade dill pickles from Batch One, and probably an all-purpose version of potato salad. IF it's sunny, grilled hamburgers on brioche rolls with carmelized onion for Himself, sauteed mushrooms for me, the salad, and baked beans from a can. Dessert will be a mix of nice summery fruits: cherries, nectarine, peach, blueberries. I just might start with dessert first. :yum:

Not cooking today. Going to a yard party at a neighbors a couple of blocks over. Wife made a corn and pepper salad to take, and I think they're doing brats and burgers on the grill. Perfect 4th of July get together! :yum:

Back
Top Bottom