What's cooking? July 5, 2015

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zhizara

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
It's another cooking day today, but it won't take up so much time today.

I already made Gazpacho.

Next will be broccoli with ham and cheddar cheese sauce. I'll divide the results into containers keeping one for the fridge, and the rest in the freezer.

This afternoon it's Chicken Livers Paprikash. Some for dinner tonight and the rest for the freezer.

All this will leave me with no room in the freezer, so I'll spend a few days not cooking anything new.

What's cooking at your placce?

I am thawing some chicken thighs for grilling tonight. We'll add some potato and tossed salads to go along with that.

Went to a couple of farmer's markets today. Going to grill some spicy pork stuffed mushrooms, potatoes and then just offer crudites sprinkled with a bit of sea salt, feta and 9 grain bread from the bakery down the street.

Italian-American dinner. I just finished making potato gnocchi which are resting until they get cooked. After a short break, I'll start making the meatballs and marinara, using some of the "mother" sauce Karen made and froze last month. Karen will make garlic knots. A nice bottle of Ruffino, Riserva Ducale, Chianti Classico, 2010.

So far I prepped bbq ribs & vichyssoise

img_1428093_0_88b9f7fb9c48e255e613aef01983c947.jpg
img_1428093_1_ecf17825c736bd31c476fdc7681b0ee1.jpg

I'm thinking chicken quesadillas..
I'm thinking I wish we had enough time to drive up and join you for dinner. ;)

Since the weather cooperated and we were able to grill hamburgers last night, Himself will grill the bratwurst tonight after I simmer it in beer, then we'll plop them onto kraut-laden buns. I'll doctor up yesterday's potato salad, adding some crisp bacon bits, thin discs of scallion greens, and maybe some tiny chunks of cheddar cheese.

It was a makeshift idea based on some cooked chicken wings I had and having to use up some homemade frozen chicken stock. I made a substantial soup/stew, with onions, garlic, chopped carrot, tomato puree, the chicken stock, bay leaves, red lentils, small pasta shapes (designed for soups), frozen peas, the chopped chicken and some leftover cooked new potatoes!

I wasn't sure the soup would be substantial so, whilst it was cooking, I had the remainder of my previously made salad of grated celeriac, apple and carrot (with a fruit juice dressing). I jazzed it up by adding some raisins and toasted flaked almonds. Both dishes were very good. I overate! :blush:

We'll have leftovers here. Went to Ruby Tuesdays for lunch after church to use our gift card from Christmas. Had a big lunch so neither of us is particularly hungry. There's roast beast, rice, a little chicken, and 2 hamburgers and a bit of kidney bean salad.

I'll be doing Philly Cheese Steak sandwiches tonight trying to replicate the outstanding ones we had in Philly last month. We bought some top round steak and froze it to get paper thin slices. I have the onions sliced thin with some red bell pepper strips, and a jar of the required Cheese Whiz all ready to go. Nice soft Hoggie rolls will be preheated.
I saved back some of the Southwest roasted corn and black bean salad from yesterday.
Wonder of all wonders...I baked today! Oooey Gooey Lemon Butter Cake will be dessert with some sliced strawberries on top.

That meal should cover the calorie requirements for a week or longer.

I actually have a picture! We had our young friend over as she is without her two kids for a bit and she came over to enjoy our A/C and WiFi LOL so we treated her to dinner as well. She takes pictures of all her meals out so I got her to send it to me.

We had grilled steaks, bacon wrapped asparagus, corn on the cob and Caesar salad. It was very good and I only had to do the prepping, TB did the cooking!

Attachments

• SteakDinner.jpg
    SteakDinner.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 236
Good looking meals Joey and LP.

We went to La Porte Grecque after an exploratory shopping excursion to a new Asian supermarket. The food was excellent, even though it was a Sunday.

Nice pics, guys! :yum:

We had DH's afterbirth dinner at one of our favorite Mexican restaurants. Cochinita pibil, rice, beans, done the way it's supposed to be done. And we shared an aquarium sized margarita, also made the way it's supposed to be made, unlike the swill we had last night :glare:

Nice pics, guys! :yum:

We had DH's afterbirth dinner at one of our favorite Mexican restaurants. Cochinita pibil, rice, beans, done the way it's supposed to be done. And we shared an aquarium sized margarita, also made the way it's supposed to be made, unlike the swill we had last night :glare:
"... afterbirth dinner ..." :huh:

Glad you had a great meal and a properly made Margarita.

"... afterbirth dinner ..." :huh:

Glad you had a great meal and a properly made Margarita.

I know. I coined the phrase from a good buddy and former roommate.

DH's birthday was yesterday, so today was his afterbirthday.

Last edited:
Grill time again! Bacon-wrapped grilled corn on the cob, pasta salad, and a little side of fresh sliced tomatoes. Dessert was a simple pound cake with strawberry preserves on top.

Light summer fare, but tasty!

I know. I coined the phrase from a good buddy and former roommate.

DH's birthday was yesterday, so today was his afterbirthday.

Yeah, the word 'placenta' came to mind when I read that. Then I thought of the cat I had as a kid who would only give birth on my lap and no where else.

I'll be doing Philly Cheese Steak sandwiches tonight trying to replicate the outstanding ones we had in Philly last month. We bought some top round steak and froze it to get paper thin slices. I have the onions sliced thin with some red bell pepper strips, and a jar of the required Cheese Whiz all ready to go. Nice soft Hoggie rolls will be preheated.
I saved back some of the Southwest roasted corn and black bean salad from yesterday.
Wonder of all wonders...I baked today! Oooey Gooey Lemon Butter Cake will be dessert with some sliced strawberries on top.

That meal should cover the calorie requirements for a week or longer.

How were your Philly Cheese Steak sammies, Kay? I saw a recent episode of ATK and they made PCS sammies - thought of you and your recent trip back east. They looked delicious!

Back
Top Bottom