What's cooking Monday 2/22/2016?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

msmofet

Chef Extraordinaire
Lunch was tuna salad on baguette with baby rocket instead of lettuce and First run shortcut French onion soup in my little Dutch ovens. It was a short cut with Campbell's soup and next time I will do from scratch.

img_1456547_0_c03de3f46c947dc1c6c89951d8d676de.jpg

Dinner should be the chicken wings held over from yesterday. Chicken wings with buffalo sauce (butter and Frank's and blue cheese dressing) or BBQ sauce (I picked up Stubb's original to try) to dip in. If DD wants to she can coat some in BBQ sauce put them on the char broil with some smoke chips to get some bark. And salad (TJ's baby rocket and Sorrento greens mix with TJ's sweet onion and bacon dressing).

We're doing the fridge-clean thing again tonight. I swear my leftovers propagate while we sleep. :wacko: Going to add some capers (!) and grape tomatoes to what's left of yesterday's cauliflower dish to see if I can give it more flavor. Maybe some oregano, too.

We're having the other half of the roast chicken I cooked a couple of weeks ago. SO requested mashed potatoes and green peas for sides.

Leftover broccoli beer cheese soup, along with whatever else might be hiding in the fridge.

I'm doing pan-seared scallops - HUGE ones! I usually do a simple white wine, butter, lemon pan reduction, but I'm looking for something different tonight.

Playing with flavor ideas - saffron - coconut milk - orange - ginger - cream - ??? Not necessarily all at once, but anyone have ideas?

I'm doing pan-seared scallops - HUGE ones! I usually do a simple white wine, butter, lemon pan reduction, but I'm looking for something different tonight.

Playing with flavor ideas - saffron - coconut milk - orange - ginger - cream - ??? Not necessarily all at once, but anyone have ideas?

I just watched an episode of Bobby Flay's Barbecue Addiction where he made a mint-pea vinaigrette to go over grilled scallops. Looked pretty good!

I can't believe I signed up for hospitality for the Master Gardener class three weeks in a row! :huh: So I'm making dinner for a large group again - with three others, but still.

So today I made white chicken chili with corn and tomatillos. I've never made it before, but DH helped once he got home from work (he roasted and pulverized the tomatillos I had thawed from the garden). I started prepping things yesterday so it was easier today.

So I'm having that and DH is having leftover spaghetti and meatballs.

I pulled the meaty frame of a pork roast out of the freezer and cooked it low and slow for a couple of hours with some sauerkraut, chopped onion and caraway seeds.

Not sure what else I'll have, my poor brain is stuck on mashed potatoes and ice cold chunky applesauce.

Oh well, that was then and this is now! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I bought some beautiful big scallops today with the intention of pan searing them for dinner. Ended up going out to lunch and stuffing myself with a chicken sandwich and fries, so the scallops went into the coldest part of the fridge and will become tomorrow's dinner. I'll just snack on bits and pieces of leftovers this evening.

I discovered we have grass again in the back yard. Such an occasion calls for grilled cheese burgers, grilled onion slices and cole slaw. Yes, pretty simple and good tasting. Dx is bringing a hot out of the oven granny smith apple pie. I will make her dog a burger too.

...my poor brain is stuck on mashed potatoes and ice cold chunky applesauce.

Oh well, that was then and this is now! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:
Do you not eat apples at all anymore? Or do you miss commercial apple sauce? Store-bought applesauce in my kitchen is used just for baking. If we're having it for supper, I make my own. Chunked up apples, a bit of water, cinnamon in a saucepan, lid on top, and cook until apples are soft. Delish! If you can eat applesauce that way, you just need to plan ahead so that it can chill down. I'm not much for planning, so we just eat it warm.

I opened up a jar Kraut, and rinsed it slightly the way I always do then dumped it into my big deep skillet with a handful of itty bitty potatoes for the SC along with a can of fire roasted tomatoes and a can of chicky broth. Letting it simmer for a while and then adding both Bratwurst and Bokwurst to the top with a lid on top. Smells like my childhood home around here.

Balsamic BBQ pork roast. The recipe was supposed to be for chicken, but I am putting the sauce on the pork. I was supposed to simmer the sauce until it reduced a little and became thick, but after a couple minutes I figured it was thick enough and poured it over the pork roast. I hope I like this. That's a huge pork roast and I didn't cut it up like I usually do - I have no idea why. I'm going to bake it for a while and then turn the broiler on and see if that caramelizes the sauce if the baking doesn't. Someone explain to me why there has to be 2 "a"s in caramel.

I also threw the last of the Dutch potatoes I got at Trader Joe's earlier this month on top of the roast. They're a little soft, but I think they'll be OK for eating.

Do you not eat apples at all anymore? Or do you miss commercial apple sauce? Store-bought applesauce in my kitchen is used just for baking. If we're having it for supper, I make my own. Chunked up apples, a bit of water, cinnamon in a saucepan, lid on top, and cook until apples are soft. Delish! If you can eat applesauce that way, you just need to plan ahead so that it can chill down. I'm not much for planning, so we just eat it warm.

Apples have dropped off the list.

The folks at Wegman's make a no sugar added chunky applesauce that has a nice fresh taste, if they ever decide to package it in half cup "lunch box" cups I will give it a try. At this point one six pack would last me a year! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

The only fruits that I still buy, once or twice a year, are lemons, strawberries and cranberries.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom