What's cooking Monday August 17, 2009?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

msmofet

Chef Extraordinaire
well it's gonna be anudder hot one today!! so i have no clue. maybe porthouse steaks on the grill, some taters - CI pan fried, french fried, nice thin chips or mashed (maybe some gravy), and spinach or niblets corn. or mild breakfast sausage, eggs (fried or scrambled) and biscuits or sausage and french toast. it's all undecided at the moment.

any plans by you?

It is a work night, so it will be leftover Salmon Cakes, Parsley Potatoes and Carrots, and Peaches and Cream Cake.

Work night for me as well so the fancy meals come to an end till Friday unfortunately but I'll be popping into the supermarket on my way home to find something tasty and quick :)

I'm making veggie enchiladas.
I sauteed some mushrooms, red peppers, kale, and sweet potato, then added cream of mushroom soup, enchilada sauce and some cheese crumbles. Here in a bit, I'll roll the filling in small, thin corn tortillas, smother them, and bake them. Hopefully the kids will eat them.

Steaks on the grill. Baby new potatoes with butter, chives and salt. Green salad. I'd like to get some Taber corn but that would mean another trip out of the house and I've got lazy all over me right now. If I get my butt in gear we will have apple crisp or pie for dessert too.

Knowing today would be a busy day, I put a pot roast on this morning and let it cook very slowly. We had sour cream mashed potatoes, roast asparagus and sliced cucumbers. Our grandson made cookies for dessert. He did a very good job for 10 years old. They were better than some of mine.

Green bean casserole

dsc_0015.jpg

I made some burgers with a 50/50 mixture of beef and lamb that was flavored with onion, parsley, cayenne, cumin, allspice and a little tomato sauce, salt and pepper. I cooked them on the grill and we had a tossed salad along side. It hit the spot tonight.

this is what i took out of freezer for dinner. not sure how i will cook them. either BBQ or CI stovetop grill.

img_845710_0_ba36ca3968b551d354158d6abacac326.jpg

img_845710_1_a55213507135d55c8ef79e0bb362effe.jpg

I took meatballs and sauce out of the freezer for Mark. He's getting rotini pasta with meatballs.... bread-n-butter

I'm not sure if I want anything. I had a HUGE salad for lunch.

coming back to add... I just ate 4 meatballs with a little sauce.

Last edited:
Dinner tonight

porterhouse on the CI stovetop grill pan

img_845735_0_5ea3cb58dc5aac08a7be22d1e38a6145.jpg

img_845735_1_4fe8cb0f83f1adb3014a60ccd6bf390e.jpg

it was pinker than it looks in the pic

img_845735_2_9057c8378515d26bc66d552f30594b30.jpg

we also had stouffer mac and cheese and spinach.

Dinner tonight

porterhouse on the CI stovetop grill pan

img_845783_0_5ea3cb58dc5aac08a7be22d1e38a6145.jpg

img_845783_1_4fe8cb0f83f1adb3014a60ccd6bf390e.jpg

it was pinker than it looks in the pic

img_845783_2_9057c8378515d26bc66d552f30594b30.jpg

we also had stouffer mac and cheese and spinach.
YUM.. that looks sinful! :ermm::ROFLMAO: I love Stouffers mac-n-cheese. I think those were good sides to that yummy steak!

Is your grill pan part of the stove, or is it cast iron?

YUM.. that looks sinful! :ermm::ROFLMAO: I love Stouffers mac-n-cheese. I think those were good sides to that yummy steak! Is your grill pan part of the stove, or is it cast iron?

thank you sweetie!! it is a cast iron reversible grill/griddle pan that uses (covers) 2 stove burners.

i turned both stove (gas) burners up almost full and let it heat for around 10 minutes. i used my Misto oil sprayer to spray olive/canola oil blend on the grill then slapped on the steaks. grilled for about 5 minutes till they had nice color and flipped and cooked till nice color. i tested doneness by pushing on it with my finger and it was warm to the touch and gave medium resistance.

i prepped the steaks with a coat of olive oil and herbs and spices.
the herbs and spices i used were McCormick grinders:
garlic pepper blend grinder
italian spices blend grinder
montreal steak seasoning grill mate grinder set to the fine grind.
along with my (i have this premixed in an old spice bottle) seasoning mix:
Granulated Garlic powder
Onion powder
Adobo seasoning (spice mix not the chilies paste)
Accent (or MSG) small amount
Salt
Ground black pepper
Cayenne
Paprika

they turned out nice juicey, flavorful perfect medium rare (the picture is darker than it was). but i tell you when they hit the grill i got a faceful of powerful pepper and spice burn off!! LOL the whole house filled with smoke and the smoke alarm went off (and when i turned them also).

thank you sweetie!! it is a cast iron reversible grill/griddle pan that uses (covers) 2 stove burners.

i turned both stove (gas) burners up almost full and let it heat for around 10 minutes. i used my Misto oil sprayer to spray olive/canola oil blend on the grill then slapped on the steaks. grilled for about 5 minutes till they had nice color and flipped and cooked till nice color. i tested doneness by pushing on it with my finger and it was warm to the touch and gave medium resistance.

i prepped the steaks with a coat of olive oil and herbs and spices.
the herbs and spices i used were McCormick grinders:
garlic pepper blend grinder
italian spices blend grinder
montreal steak seasoning grill mate grinder set to the fine grind.
along with my (i have this premixed in an old spice bottle) seasoning mix:
Granulated Garlic powder
Onion powder
Adobo seasoning (spice mix not the chilies paste)
Accent (or MSG) small amount
Salt
Ground black pepper
Cayenne
Paprika

they turned out nice juicey, flavorful perfect medium rare (the picture is darker than it was). but i tell you when they hit the grill i got a faceful of powerful pepper and spice burn off!! LOL the whole house filled with smoke and the smoke alarm went off (and when i turned them also).
Yeah, that's what I have a cast iron grill pan. I don't use mine though because I have an electric stove. What kind of stove do you have? I find it heats up to quickly and usually burns whatever I'm cooking, with half of it sticking to the pan.

How do you clean yours afterwards?

Yeah, that's what I have a cast iron grill pan. I don't use mine though because I have an electric stove. What kind of stove do you have? I find it heats up to quickly and usually burns whatever I'm cooking, with half of it sticking to the pan.

Have you seasoned your cast iron grill yet V-Bean? That may be part of the sticking problem.

i have a gas stove/oven. i use the grilldle to do pancakes and sausage and the grill for steaks. nothing burns and no sticking except now and then the first pancake. cleans pretty easy.

i hated electric stoves/ovens. can you turn the heat level down a bit? flames are so much easier.

Have you seasoned your cast iron grill yet V-Bean? That may be part of the sticking problem.
Yeah, I think I did. I have had it for a few years now. I remember coating it with oil and having it in a 200 F oven. It just doesn't seem to work well on my stove top. I HATE electric stoves, in more ways than one.....sorry.. I miss my old gas stove I had in NY.

I don't know... the surface of the grill and griddle side seem rough. Is it supposed to be that way. I don't think I did anything to it. How do you clean it again and reseason it? Is that a good idea?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom