Whats cooking Monday February 22, 2010?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It seems like it is chicken night ALL over the internet!!

Tonight we had Progresso clam chowder and my first hand made loaf of bread.

Attachments

• bread01.jpg
    bread01.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 169
I must agree with msmofet, FrankZ. That is one beautiful loaf:

It looks like I am falling back on my old faithful tonight: A soup of purple kale, yellow potatoes, white and red kidney beans, chunks of Tofurkey brand veggie Italian sausage in a base of half faux "chicken" broth, half crushed tomatoes, seasoned with a head of garlic, black pepper, and a generous sprinkling of oregano. I usually eat this soup with some sour dough or whole wheat bread made by a local baker.

It seems like it is chicken night ALL over the internet!!
LOL! TWO of our must-goes were chicken: broasted from a local restaurant and my last mushroom/fontina stuffed breast. The former is all gone, the latter could end up as DH's lunch. But now I have a taste for a grilled cheese sandwich...think I should go make one soon...

Being the first hand made loaf I have done I thought it turned out reasonably well, though it did have a bit of an ugly artisan top to it.

I will just have to practice a bit (oh darn). Gotta get better at this before the starter is matured.

My favorite way to use up leftover roast.

I am making penne pasta with steamed veg and some butter/evoo/parm cheese.

I didn't end up making my shepherd's pie. The leftovers went in the freezer. That will be made some time this week. Mark wanted a big salad.... made with lettuce, vegies, cheese, ham and ranch dressing. On the side, bread-n-butter.

I made myself a cuban sandwich on a peppery ciabatta roll and a bowl of tomato soup with ramen noodles added. :pig: I guess I was hungry. lol

img_879846_0_4de0c8f246618919aefbbd8aea6cc256.jpg

img_879846_1_80009304702783d46ca038e387f3a899.jpg

Being the first hand made loaf I have done I thought it turned out reasonably well, though it did have a bit of an ugly artisan top to it.

I will just have to practice a bit (oh darn). Gotta get better at this before the starter is matured.
Forgot to tell you earlier that your bread looks so tempting! I made totally hand-made bread once in my life---over 30 years ago. I've since resorted to using a bread machine for the early work, setting it on the "dough" cycle and finishing by hand. Easy AND yummy.

I have been using my bread machine for several years now. Thought I would give this a go, it is more work that the bread machine (obviously) but the loaf is a better sandwich loaf. The part I liked the least (really hated) was turning the dough out on the counter too early and it being way too tacky. Ugh. I hate having stuff sticking to my fingers like that and I can't get it off.

Plopped it back in the bowl for a bit more flour and stirring

I didn't end up making my shepherd's pie. The leftovers went in the freezer. That will be made some time this week. Mark wanted a big salad.... made with lettuce, vegies, cheese, ham and ranch dressing. On the side, bread-n-butter.

I made myself a cuban sandwich on a peppery ciabatta roll and a bowl of tomato soup with ramen noodles added. :pig: I guess I was hungry. lol

img_880139_0_4de0c8f246618919aefbbd8aea6cc256.jpg

img_880139_1_80009304702783d46ca038e387f3a899.jpg
my goodness that looks extraordinary. wish i had one. :mellow::mellow:

my goodness that looks extraordinary. wish i had one. :mellow::mellow:
Thank you! :) It's one of my favorite sandwiches, along with grilled cheese and the BLT. I made something similar over the weekend, but I grilled it (using my George Foreman) and put bacon on it. I guess the authentic way to make a cuban sandwich is to use ham and pork. There was a place in western NY state that had the best cuban sandwiches. They used pork and salami. That is where I had my first one and have been in love ever since!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom