What's Cooking? October 4, 2015

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zhizara

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
My marathon shopping is done so I've still got a few things left to prep, but I did find a pint of oysters and oyster stew is the plan for dinner, and probably lunch too. I'm hungry.

What's cooking with you?

My younger daughter is coming for dinner this afternoon to tell us about her trip to Greece and show of her pictures. I finally found a family member who loves duck so she and I are having pan roasted duck breasts. I making a couple of chicken thighs for SO. DD's bringing a side dish and I made cinnamon butternut squash for us.

We are having a version of the "Rusty Pelican's" salad. Karen is making an orange quick bread to go with the salad. I am also making Rags/Old Clothes (Ropa Vieja) for a meal later in the week. The longer it sits, the better it gets!:yum:

I'm not sure. TB took me out last night and Kay was going to make me a birthday dinner tonight; however, she isn't making it over until tomorrow now. Also, I have been having a huge pain flare so it may be something really simple.

We hit Cracker Barrel after church on our way to visit my son's FIL in rehab. Don't know about supper yet. Have ground beef which could go any number of ways and also have a good amount of left over pot roast and macaroni and cheese from last night that was sooo good it may make an encore.

:yum:It smells like my childhood home around here. The weather is cooler with a little rain and so it's a great day for this.:yum:

We're having spareribs and kraut, with a can of roasted tomatoes,browned onion, some chick broth, a little white wine, and a couple red potatoes, done in my Nesco electric roaster oven. Easy peasy! :chef:

Collard greens are simmering and the air smells so good! We'll have Kentucky Brand ham, baked potatoes, roasted carrots and roasted beets with them, along with Grands toob biscuits. I had planned on making a couple pans of mac-and-cheese, too, but I ran out of interest right about the time I figured I wouldn't have enough pastas. We'll have mac-and-cheese to look forward to with the leftover ham once I replenish boxes of pasta.

I'm going to throw together a skillet dinner - kielbasa, sliced potatoes, red and green bells, and onion. Grape tomatoes and sliced cuke on the side.

Leftovers will be nice for breakfast tomorrow morning, with scrambled eggs added to it. :yum:

I'm going to throw together a skillet dinner - kielbasa, sliced potatoes, red and green bells, and onion. Grape tomatoes and sliced cuke on the side.

Leftovers will be nice for breakfast tomorrow morning, with scrambled eggs added to it. :yum:

That's my kind of meal Cheryl. Do you have a little cabbage?

That's my kind of meal Cheryl. Do you have a little cabbage?

Unfortunately, I don't. That would have been a great addition. :yum: Thanks for the reminder, I just added it to my list. I now see cabbage soup in the near future! :)

Kay, thank you for sharing your cabbage soup recipe, it sounds delicious! Copied and saved. :)

Whisk...now I've got a hankering for French onion soup as well. :yum: Apple crisp sounds like the perfect dessert for it.

I just love when the weather cools down and soups return to the menu.

Joyce made her wonderful sausage corn bread! And her Great Northern beans with all the seasons, corn on the cob and peanut butter ice cream on graham crackers for dessert!

Very nice!

~Cat

Hope the pain flare up goes away soon LP.

I was going to make meatballs. I took the ground beef out of the freezer yesterday. It's the free range beef I got with CWS. It's wrapped in butcher paper. So, as I was about to start tonight's supper, I opened the butcher paper and dumped the meat into a mixing bowl. It was a chunk. :ermm: I fished the wrapping out of the garbage. It said 1.5 # tenderloin. :doh:

That threw me right off. Had to quick make a new meal plan. I made steak au poivre, roasted vegis, and roasted potato wedges. It was quite good, but am I going make with the leftover 9 ounces of beef tenderloin?

12049578_10156125962480191_7964856993266744277_n.jpg

12096072_10156125962540191_3821779245425101565_n.jpg

Hope the pain flare up goes away soon LP.

I was going to make meatballs. I took the ground beef out of the freezer yesterday. It's the free range beef I got with CWS. It's wrapped in butcher paper. So, as I was about to start tonight's supper, I opened the butcher paper and dumped the meat into a mixing bowl. It was a chunk. :ermm: I fished the wrapping out of the garbage. It said 1.5 # tenderloin. :doh:

That threw me right off. Had to quick make a new meal plan. I made steak au poivre, roasted vegis, and roasted potato wedges. It was quite good, but am I going make with the leftover 9 ounces of beef tenderloin?

12049578_10156125962480191_7964856993266744277_n.jpg

12096072_10156125962540191_3821779245425101565_n.jpg

Mm mm! I like to have sliced leftover beef in top of a salad. French onion soup would be great with that!

Tonight I baked chicken thighs with Greek seasonings, baby red potatoes and diced onions. I also made green salad and toasted French bread served with olive oil seasoned with zaa'tar.

That looks delicious, Taxy! :yum:

You could cube the leftover tenderloin and pan fry, and if you have any of that delicious looking gravy left, mix it all together and serve over egg noodles for a quickie version of beef stroganoff....?

Last edited:
Mm mm! I like to have sliced leftover beef in top of a salad. French onion soup would be great with that!
It's something I like to do with leftover cooked beef too. But, it's not really what I would call a leftover, since I didn't cook the rest of the beef. I'm looking for inspiration for cooking the rest of the defrosted beef tenderloin. BTW, it was from Conrad. For those who don't know, Conrad was a free range baby bull that CWS and I shared half of.

Thanks Cheryl, it was tasty.

I would make Stroganoff, but Stirling doesn't much care for it. :ermm:

Back
Top Bottom