What's Cooking (or not) August 30, 2014?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
change of plans for my dinner. take out chinese for me. veggie spring rolls, seaweed soup, szechuan beef chow fun - extra dried hot chilis, and garlic chicken chow mein.

...and did the cornbread in a funky looking cast iron pan, apparently my oven was invaded by aliens!...

Wow, I didn't know "flying saucers" were made from cornbread. :huh:

Welcome to DC Freki! I like your signature. I just told Himself the other day that thanks to my CI pans I don't have "chicken wing arms". :LOL:

Last edited:
take us to your leader. :alien::alien::alien:

are they southern or northern style corn breads, freki?

It's a bit of a combination, more northern style with a southern twist though. Still working on the recipe, I've been tweaking mine for a few months. This time I think I'm closer to what I want though, used bacon grease from hickory smoked bacon :)

Wow, I didn't know "flying saucers" were made from cornbread. :huh:

Welcome to DC Freki! I like your signature. I just told Himself the other day that thanks to my CI pans I don't have "chicken wing arms". :LOL:

I didn't either! We inherited an old gem pan of unknown origins that is rounded rather than angled, I was expecting them to come out more like muffin tops than UFOs. But it did give me an idea for a Sci-Fi movie night, make UFO cupcakes frosted with blue and black frosting!

I use cast iron for about 80-90% of our foods (everything but soup and pastas, which I use a large 16 qt pot for). I fear touching pans in stores now, last time I nearly flung an aluminium frying pan into my face, I'm not used to light pans anymore :)

Does the pan look like this one? If it does, that is a special pan for making a Danish donut called an Æbleskiver. If you are interested in making them, I'm sure one of the members with Danish roots or connections can help.

Danish-dougnuts-pan.jpg

I have found if I pick up pans (or most anything) with both hands while shopping it prevents accidents. One hand on the handle, one on the rim opposite the handle. No flinging anymore!

Does the pan look like this one? If it does, that is a special pan for making a Danish donut called an Æbleskiver. If you are interested in making them, I'm sure one of the members with Danish roots or connections can help.

Danish-dougnuts-pan.jpg

I have found if I pick up pans (or most anything) with both hands while shopping it prevents accidents. One hand on the handle, one on the rim opposite the handle. No flinging anymore!

ImageUploadedByDiscuss Cooking1409454874.745052.jpg

Looks like the same indentations, but this is what I have. Maybe a variation on the same thing? But I'm always up for trying new things! If I'm not at work, I'm rummaging through old cookbooks or websites. When I find one I like, I tend to stick with it, tweaking it to my liking for a bit. Our friends and family rarely leave without trying something new :)

Congrats to SO! Do we need to extend sympathies to you because she'll be underfoot all day, or have you guys worked out the "24/7" thing? :)...

Thank you. No sympathies needed. We get along great!

Dinner tonight at our friend's home was Omaha filets mignon with Béarnaise sauce, garlic mashed and grilled asparagus.

We went out for lunch with TB's parents and had a feast of Chinese food, so weren't that hungry...until 9pm when we both got the munchies. We went to a KFC/Taco Bell. I had a 7 layer bean burrito and TB had a 4 piece chicken dinner. Now that he can have some wheat and gluten, he is going for the chicken while me, the poultry lover, went for the Mexican food because it was vegetarian.

Will we ever get on the same page food-wise? :ROFLMAO:

we had a wonderful blueberry tarte in the afternoon, so we weren't really hungry..
so we just made some champignons with onions and herbs, together with some pork cut into stripes..

Back
Top Bottom