What's Cooking (or not) August 30, 2014?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zhizara

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
Like CG said yesterday, it's a time for cleaning up leftovers.

It's also time for me to clean out the freezer to make room for next Wednesday's major shopping.

I took out the last of the hamburger to thaw, but I'm not sure what I'll make with it.

I thawed the other pork sirloin roast (4.4#) and am braising it in apple juice. I'll be able to have a nice dinner and package the rest to freeze, taking up much less freezer space.

What's going on in your kitchen?

Not a darned thing.

We're going out for drinks with two other couples to celebrate SO's official retirement. Then off to dinner at one of the couple's home.

We got a case of Malpeque Bay oysters yesterday so today is oyster day.:yum: That is less the few I had last night.

Brats, not sure what else.

The fridge is getting bare, shopping tomorrow.

Maybe I'll just settle for a side of mustard! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Last edited:
leftovers here as well. i have some smoked chicken thighs that i'll shred the meat and make a buffalo chicken "cheesesteak" hero.

Leftovers here, too. :) Was just looking through the fridge and will probably use up the bits and pieces of cheese, pita bread, olives, and maybe some celery and cucumber with chipotle ranch dressing.

...We're going out for drinks with two other couples to celebrate SO's official retirement. Then off to dinner at one of the couple's home.
Congrats to SO! Do we need to extend sympathies to you because she'll be underfoot all day, or have you guys worked out the "24/7" thing? :)

Z, I'm still re-purposing my food from earlier in the week. One small piece of kiebasa will probably be happily gobbled by Himself - time to open a new jar of sauerkraut. I'm make another fish fillet sandwich with cheese. Ran across a still-good smidgen of remoulade sauce instead of the tartar sauce I used last night. There will still be another piece of fish for Himself. What remained of yesterday's relish tray will be tossed with lettuce and a few new things to make an "Everything Salad".

This must be a day for leftovers. I have half a tired looking rotisserie chicken, and think I'll make PPO's easy Chicken Tortilla Soup. I'll do it on the grill side burner to keep the kitchen cooler.

It is Nacho chicken night here. I have also got all manner of garden veggies to use. I think a mimosa salad will be on the short list, then some pan fried potatoes and maybe zucchini?

Anyone got some zucchini they'd like to give away? :LOL:

Teriyaki bbq beef short ribs. Ramen slaw. Burritos to make it all into a wrap.

:LOL: Aunt Bea! I had to wake DH from his football-induced coma and send him to the store for charcoal, we were completely out. So grilled cherry chipotle sauced pork chops, potato salad, and green beans.

I had a craving for cornbread and wanted something that goes well with cornbread! I did up a chicken stew and did the cornbread in a funky looking cast iron pan, apparently my oven was invaded by aliens!
BwUu3sFCAAA9lIS.jpg:large

The braised pork shoulder is done and stripped from the bone - actually the bone fell out. I just put the meat in a baggie in the fridge to separate into packages for the freezer tomorrow.

I had quite a time trying to figure out what to do with the hamburger. No taco seasoning left, no sauces or makings. No bread for meatloaf.

I finally remembered that I had made a meatloaf using cornbread stuffing mix previously, but forgot and went ahead and salted the meat so it ended up way too salty.

I still had half the stuffing mix left, so I went ahead and made meatloaf, leaving out the salt, and it was just right.

I served it with warmed salsa. Very good.

We had sirloin steak from Conrad, the grass fed bull calf. It was delicious, but a little chewy. I served it with potatoes, steamed broccoli, and Béarnaise sauce.

Thanks to whoever suggested serving vegis with Béarnaise. It was good on the potatoes too. I still have some leftover Béarnaise, but I'll figure out what to do with it. This time I used the method from Friday Grilling: Easy Bearnaise Sauce | Michael Ruhlman, but I used the reduced vinegar-vermouth-seasoning from Julia Child. It was really good.

Back
Top Bottom