What's cooking..Sat. 3/5/16?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm defrosting the other half of the stuffed flank steak from a while back. I haven't figured out why the sides will be.

Hmm. I have a bunch of taco meat I've been eating on for the past few days, maybe I'll turn some into a soup! Thanks for the inspiration, Kay!

I tried a Jamie Oliver recipe (which is usually good) but proved to be less than successful!

It was butterflied roast lamb with a stuffing (black olives, garlic confit, sun dried tomatoes and capers blitzed) that was baked with potato chunks in a lemon juice solution (and a little oil).

I accomplished preparing the recipe e.g. deboning the lamb, stuffing it and tying it up. However, I was suspicious of the oven temperature - 250oC/Mark 9 for the first half hour (then turned down after that) but went with it. Not good - it charred the bits of stuffing.

The timing was such that the lamb was cooked long before the potatoes were done (it just said to quarter baking potatoes but obviously this depends on how elongated they are - I cut mine into 6 pieces).

The taste of the stuffing was not that great, i.e. didn't do much for the lamb. :ermm:

Last edited:
Have feet will travel. It's nice enough to walk along the lake today. Dx made some kind of chicken salad which she seems mighty pleased with, and she's been baking too.

Now that we are more settled in the new place, Craig wanted to grill. He decided on Greek style lamb lollipops, marinated in olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, rosemary, S and P. Sides were roasted rosemary potatoes and "naked" spanikopita. The lamb was absolutely delish!! He cooked it perfectly.

37240-albums1008-picture6380.jpg

I made crockpot BBQ. This morning I salt/peppered a nice chuck roast and seared it on all sides in some EVOO in the cast iron skillet. Then I put it in the crockpot and topped with a bottle of Sweet Baby Ray BBQ sauce, diced onions, onion powder, fresh garlic, garlic powder and some more salt/pepper. Cooked for 10 hours on low. Served on some fresh buns with some skillet fries.

Hope your headache goes away soon, GG. Once the wind let up by us, mine went away. Whew!

...DH is coming home after a three day "ahem" "business trip" to Ft. Lauderdale. Does not sound like a whole lot of business took place...
Just so long as he wasn't busy with monkey business :brows:, not much to worry about, Dawg.

Every time I would open the long "deli" drawer in my fridge, the last of the rotisserie chicken would smile expectantly at me. I ended up making a pot of chicken rice soup. Himself kept saying "needs more rice" though, so by the time I made his sandwich I ended up with a bowl of chicken rice porridge. :LOL: I also made tuna melts. He had his on a piece of baguette, I made a roll-up style with a half-piece of lavash, adding tomato and lettuce to my melt. :yum:

Attachments

• 2016-03-05 20.46.57.jpg
    2016-03-05 20.46.57.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 133
Heh. No worries! Like I told him, if you can't party with the big dogs, stay on the porch! 3 am is awfully late at his age...but boys will be boys. The other boys he went with are a good 10 or so years younger.

He's back home and in bed now. He did like my taco soup.

Last edited:
Steve, your salmon always looks so tempting. :yum: Sadly, I've never met a salmon I liked. Too strong-flavored. Also, if it's not wild-caught, it always feels so greasy in my mouth. I know it's the "good" oils, but I don't like the mouth-feel.

Like you, CG, I've never met a cooked salmon that I got along with, other than smoked, or the ones I caught in Michigan.

Nice looking plates though, guys!

Wow, what wonderful looking and sounding dinners tonight! I'm definitely inspired and will read through this again tomorrow when I'm not so tired...

Steve, I could go for that broiled salmon and sprouts dinner. :yum: What kind of topping did you use on that, is that garlic and dill? I'm probably way off....:LOL:

Busy day with family today...I came home, scrounged through the fridge and freezer, and ended up with a warmed up tri tip sandwich on a toasted hoagie with mayo/horseradish blend, and a quickie salad.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom