"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 02-21-2016, 07:15 PM   #11
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
That looks like a yummy recipe Andy. Do you or anyone else know if the 1/2 cup flour required could be substituted for almond flour?
I'm pretty sure the flour is for texture/body. So I suppose you could sub another thickener.

Old 02-21-2016, 07:44 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Last week our market had a special on frozen raw jumbo shrimp, so tonight we each had a huge, and I mean huge, shrimp cocktail. The store also had a super deal on fresh asparagus. Had that steamed with a touch of butter and lemon juice. By the time we ate those two things, we were adequately stuffed. Omigosh! The shrimp were yummy.

Old 02-21-2016, 07:57 PM   #13
Master Chef

Thanks Andy. I wonder if it would taste strange with Almond Flour. I'd sure hate to ruin those other ingredients though.

We went out to lunch today with my older son and his wife but I'm getting hungry again. I pulled out a frozen package of my Chili Verde so that will work well for dinner with cheese/onion/cilantro on the top. I have a ripe avocado too!

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 08:36 PM   #14
Certified Pretend Chef

What's cooking Sunday 2/21/2016?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I'm making "Impossible Ham and Cheese Pie", a recipe I got from Cook's Country.

This recipe turned out good. It's basically a quiche with a parm regg. crust. We really liked it. I didn't use the Gruyere specified in the recipe - too expensive. I subbed a combination of Munster and cheddar.

I could see making this with bacon and sautéed onions in place of ham and scallions.
Old 02-21-2016, 09:19 PM   #15
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
This recipe turned out good. It's basically a quiche with a parm regg. crust. We really liked it. I didn't use the Gruyere specified in the recipe - too expensive. I subbed a combination of Munster and cheddar.

I could see making this with bacon and sautéed onions in place of ham and scallions.
Thanks for the report Andy. Now that you've made it, do you have any further thoughts about me using almond flour?

Old 02-21-2016, 09:35 PM   #16
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Thanks for the report Andy. Now that you've made it, do you have any further thoughts about me using almond flour?
Frankly Kayelle, I don't know enough about almond flour to say. If you gave it a try and it didn't work out, the recipe would still be edible.
Old 02-21-2016, 10:11 PM   #17
Head Chef

Broccoli stuffed Sole w/ butter and caper sauce.Rice & vegs.

Old 02-21-2016, 10:25 PM   #18
Master Chef

Oh, yum Joey....and I love the mouse!
Old 02-21-2016, 11:55 PM   #19
Master Chef

Cute mouse s&p!

Kay almond flour has a strong almond flavor. I wouldn't use it for this recipe. I have used peanut flour and flax meal. I think one of those would be better if you can have them. Just my opinion.

Plans changed. Dinner was pancakes (TJ's buttermilk pancake mix) with apple and berry compote (I hope I can duplicate it again because it was so good but I just did a little of this ...). I also had baby rocket dressed with sweet onion and bacon dressing. I liked the dressing. It wasn't as sweet as I thought it would be.
Old 02-22-2016, 12:57 AM   #20
Master Chef

Thanks for the feedback Andy and MsM. I'll keep you posted. I could always do a totally crustless quiche, but the idea of the "back in the day" impossible pie is interesting if it can be done the low carb way.

Joey, that picture is wonderful, as always.

Tags
cook, cooking