What's cooking Sunday 2/21/2016?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

msmofet

Chef Extraordinaire
The dinner plan is fried chicken wings with buffalo sauce (butter and Frank's and blue cheese dressing) or BBQ sauce (I picked up Stubb's original to try) to dip in. If DD wants to she can coat some in BBQ sauce put them on the char broil with some smoke chips to get some bark. Also want to make quick French onion soup and salad (TJ's baby rocket and Sorrento greens mix with TJ's sweet onion and bacon dressing also a first time on the dressing).

Sounds good, MsM. :yum:

I'm not real sure yet, but leaning towards take out of some kind. Better yet, something delivered. I'm doing a lot of projects around the house and yard today and want someone else to do the cooking for a change. :) Maybe a pizza...or Chinese.

Yesterday I smoked a couple of ham hocks. So today I poached them in chicken broth and shredded the meat. I added potatoes, onion and garlic and cooked until tender and added green beans. I also smoked a pork tenderloin today so I have plenty of good leftovers for lunches this week.:yum:

It's a balmy 50 F here, and almost all of the snow is gone. Amazing for the middle of February. A year ago we had so much snow that after the roof was shoveled off the snow was almost up to the eaves and we couldn't see out the windows.

Daughter, SIL and some friends are coming over for dinner, and I'll be lighting the grill. Grilled marinated steak tips, roast sweet potatoes, roast brussel sprouts, and a green salad.

The cupboards were bare. We went to the store today to re-stock our frig's/ pantries, and the larder, if we even have one of those, :rolleyes:

Tonight I am going to bake some bone in chix breasts on top of homemade sausage/ apple/ stuffing, cabbage salad, also with apple and roasted brussells sprouts.

I bought some beautiful pork chops last night. Planning on pan-roasting, then making creamy mustard pan sauce. I'm going to try some crispy smashed potatoes from Cooks Illustrated, and make green beans simmered in chicken broth with Penzeys Fox Point seasoning and freeze-dried shallots. I might squeeze a little lemon juice in there, too.

Girl Scout cookies were delivered by my neighbor and her daughter today! Dessert is done :yum:

That looks like a yummy recipe Andy. Do you or anyone else know if the 1/2 cup flour required could be substituted for almond flour?

I'm pretty sure the flour is for texture/body. So I suppose you could sub another thickener.

Last week our market had a special on frozen raw jumbo shrimp, so tonight we each had a huge, and I mean huge, shrimp cocktail. The store also had a super deal on fresh asparagus. Had that steamed with a touch of butter and lemon juice. By the time we ate those two things, we were adequately stuffed. Omigosh! The shrimp were yummy.

Thanks Andy. I wonder if it would taste strange with Almond Flour. I'd sure hate to ruin those other ingredients though.

We went out to lunch today with my older son and his wife but I'm getting hungry again. I pulled out a frozen package of my Chili Verde so that will work well for dinner with cheese/onion/cilantro on the top. I have a ripe avocado too!

I'm making "Impossible Ham and Cheese Pie", a recipe I got from Cook's Country.

This recipe turned out good. It's basically a quiche with a parm regg. crust. We really liked it. I didn't use the Gruyere specified in the recipe - too expensive. I subbed a combination of Munster and cheddar.

I could see making this with bacon and sautéed onions in place of ham and scallions.

Last edited:
This recipe turned out good. It's basically a quiche with a parm regg. crust. We really liked it. I didn't use the Gruyere specified in the recipe - too expensive. I subbed a combination of Munster and cheddar.

I could see making this with bacon and sautéed onions in place of ham and scallions.

Thanks for the report Andy. Now that you've made it, do you have any further thoughts about me using almond flour?

Thanks for the report Andy. Now that you've made it, do you have any further thoughts about me using almond flour?

Frankly Kayelle, I don't know enough about almond flour to say. If you gave it a try and it didn't work out, the recipe would still be edible.

Broccoli stuffed Sole w/ butter and caper sauce.Rice & vegs.

img_1456492_0_4200850dc66298affeade02ecb1b234f.jpg

Cute mouse s&p!

Kay almond flour has a strong almond flavor. I wouldn't use it for this recipe. I have used peanut flour and flax meal. I think one of those would be better if you can have them. Just my opinion.

Plans changed. Dinner was pancakes (TJ's buttermilk pancake mix) with apple and berry compote (I hope I can duplicate it again because it was so good but I just did a little of this ...). I also had baby rocket dressed with sweet onion and bacon dressing. I liked the dressing. It wasn't as sweet as I thought it would be.

Thanks for the feedback Andy and MsM. I'll keep you posted. I could always do a totally crustless quiche, but the idea of the "back in the day" impossible pie is interesting if it can be done the low carb way.

Joey, that picture is wonderful, as always.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom