What's cooking Sunday 9-18-16?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

msmofet

Chef Extraordinaire
Undecided if it will be cavatelli with EVOO, broccoli and garlic sauce (maybe with chicken) or chicken stir fry.

Turkeys were on sale this week so gf bought one and asked me to make a traditional turkey dinner. We'll have ham for Thanksgiving, she said. The 12 lb bird is stuffed and about ready to go in the oven. I will dig some beets and carrots out of the garden later on. I have a Dutch apple pie in there right now. I'll have about an hour in there somewhere to have a nap..:LOL:

I bought a small old Kentucky ham yesterday. Thinking I will slip some slices in with scalloped potatoes. Vegetable not sure yet. Dx is bringing a jar of her beet pickles.

Dangerous football game tonight. Vikings vs Green Bay in the Vikings new stadium, which I and a zillion of my closest neighbors paid for. We have best seats in the house, in front of the teevee.

I'm defrosting a pork tenderloin. I'll slice it into medallions and pan fry them and make a pan sauce to go over the mashed cauli for SO and mashed potatoes for me. Spinach and mushroom salad for both of us.

A big fat yellow pepper with a bit of string cheese and grated sharp cheddar on the bottom, then filled with Boudin, topped with a spoonful of Rotel 'maters with green chilies to give it a bit of a kick, set in a bowl with an inch of water and popped in the oven for 45 minutes.

Try it. You'll like it.

img_1480510_0_c9919611070d0ad8ce9f3014ff7a2b06.jpg

Pork roast with roasties, vegs and applesauce, I need a smaller plate, my dinners looks so sad on a normal sized one.

img_1480510_1_fc27d6b33510616b03034495da68d1f9.jpg

Dessert Brown sugar flan with candied apples. It was so good , I just loved it but sadly my belly didnt so every one around me is now suffering.

Tonight's dinner is an experiment.

Stuffed Pork chops. :chef:

They looked good so I figures I'd give it a try.:rolleyes:

Had some mushrooms and spinach that needed to be used up.
View attachment 25404
The recipe called for shallots but I figured an onion would do.
View attachment 25405
Butter in the pan
IMG_0443.jpg
Onion and shrooms added
IMG_0444.jpg
Cook down

IMG_0445.jpg
Add spinach
IMG_0446.jpg
Cook that down.

Set aside.

The loin IMG_0448.jpg

Cut into chops.
IMG_0449.jpg

Have a pound of chunks for later use. Chili comes to mind ;)

Cream cheese and the shroom mixture to stuff the chop with.
IMG_0452.jpg

Ready to sear and put in the oven.
IMG_0455.jpg

Wish me luck.

Don't know how I did it but I managed to get some pics in line. :ermm:

Hope you all can figure it out. :D

Attachments

• IMG_0447.jpg
    IMG_0447.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_0448.jpg
    IMG_0448.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 177
  • IMG_0449.jpg
    IMG_0449.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 210
  • IMG_0450.jpg
    IMG_0450.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_0452.jpg
    IMG_0452.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 192
  • IMG_0454.jpg
    IMG_0454.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 165
  • IMG_0455.jpg
    IMG_0455.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 194
Oooh! Nice nice pics, CakePoet and Zagut! :yum:

CP, are you lactose intolerant? I could eat flan every day, love it.

Last edited:
Wow!!!! So how was it? I never considered using cream cheese in a recipe or stuffed pork chops.

I have no idea.
I haven't put them to the fire yet.
That will be in a hour or two. ;)

They sounded good so I hope they taste as good as they sound and that I don't screw em up by overcooking them. :rolleyes:

You use what you have and improvise as you must. :D

If they turn out good I'm hoping for lunch for a couple of days.
If they don't I'm sure the wild critters outside my door will enjoy them. :LOL:

Lovely dinner, CakePoet. Sorry to hear the dessert didn't sit well.

Zagut, those chops look great...but a bit undercooked? I hope we get a review and a photo of the finished product.

As long as the weather holds out, Himself will be grilling burgers. Sides will be oven roasted potato wedges and the first pickles from Batch 3. Maybe something else on the side for color...

Oh geez, Zagut, I'm no expert! We'll have to ask Janet H or some of our more computer-savy members.

I take pics with my iDevices, and they post OK. I thought your pics looked fine. I usually just post a pic after I say something, then another pic after I say something else. They seem to show up on the same post.

Last edited:
Zagut, those chops look great...but a bit undercooked? I hope we get a review and a photo of the finished product.

They are NOT ! undercooked. :angry:

You've heard of Steak Tartar haven't you? ;)

Well these are Piggy Tartar :D

I'll post pics of the finished product but I still can't figure out how to put them in line on the post. :whistling

New recipe that sounded good and it was very good. Spatchcocked chicken marinated in a balsamic, honey, dijon, basil, oregano, S AND P mixture, then roasted over a bed of potatoes, carrots, criminis and brussel sprouts. I precooked each of the veges individually in the microwave in a shallow dish with some water. Veges were perfectly done.

AND since we were using the oven, I cut another chicken in half and rubbed one half with sage, butter and S and P. This will be used for pot pies later in the week. The other half got an olive oil, cumin, S and P rub and will be used for fajitas. They are small chickens but a fab price.

I also made individual flans, but savory with leeks, garlic and half of a large potato. The veges all got gently sauteed in butter until they melted, then they got zapped in the food processor with a bit of cream until smooth and then went into rest of flan mixture. Had to try one, YUMMY! They will be a side for lamb lollipops. Left them slightly undercooked so they can be rewarmed without being overcooked.

Been doodlin' around all day and trying to do something interesting for dinner that required not much effort. Ended up making chicken cacciatore per Giada De Laurentiis. Sure smells good. Will use up some baby limas as a side and slather on some real butter on some potato rolls I made this afternoon.

I bought a (I'm sure) brand new bread machine for a friend at a thrift store and I've been putting it through a few tests. Love having to eat the results.

We are having neighbors over for a simple dinner; pasta salad with garden vegetables, chicken salad with the same, fresh pesto on sliced herbed toasted long skiny bread loaf, and they are bringing a pear tart. All to be enjoyed with Long island Iced Teas:D

I have a code. Had a headache all day and feel like crap, but we have to eat and DH has been doing outside chores all day, so time to step up.

Going to prep some chicken wings to roast and toss with a spicy honey glaze, watermelon-feta salad and maybe a green salad if I have enough energy.

Back
Top Bottom