What's Cooking? Sunday, June 28th

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NickeeCoco

Senior Cook
Today I'm making both some TVP cabbage rolls for the husband, and pork ones for me. No tomatoes here. It's all about the sauerkraut in this house. Well, it has to be, or my husband won't eat them. They have to be made the way his German mother makes 'em. /sigh They are the only thing the woman can cook (her idea of Thanksgiving dinner is an overcooked turkey, plain mashed sweet potatoes with no butter, no cream or anything, plain frozen corn and scalloped potatoes out of the box). She's a mean baker, though. Which is fine with me, 'cos that's not my thing at all.

What's going on in your kitchen?

Ham and bean soup. I found a little bit of ham in the freezer, and am just going to open a can of cannellini beans, rinse them, and replace the liquid with low sodium chicken broth. A little leftover quinoa, and some chopped carrots and onion from the farmers market will doctor it up a little. I'm out of spinach and kale, or I'd use that, too.

A couple of fresh peaches for dessert.

I am doing something I never, ever thought I would ever do. This is totally against all I believe regarding eating properly. I am cooking for and following a high protein, low carbohydrate type of diet. It has taken me over a year to decide to do this but, I have relented to accommodate DH's desire to lose weight. He has done this diet twice in the past and has lost weight following it; the last time he lost 50 pounds. I would really like to see him lose at least 20 more pounds. He has already lost 11 pounds in three weeks. I have lost 7 pounds. This diet allows one day of week of eating whatever you want. Sunday's are our free day. Which is a long way of saying I am making PIZZA for dinner.

I am doing something I never, ever thought I would ever do. This is totally against all I believe regarding eating properly. I am cooking for and following a high protein, low carbohydrate type of diet. It has taken me over a year to decide to do this but, I have relented to accommodate DH's desire to lose weight. He has done this diet twice in the past and has lost weight following it; the last time he lost 50 pounds. I would really like to see him lose at least 20 more pounds. He has already lost 11 pounds in three weeks. I have lost 7 pounds. This diet allows one day of week of eating whatever you want. Sunday's are our free day. Which is a long way of saying I am making PIZZA for dinner.

If that doesn't work try www.myfitnesspal.com it worked for me. It is basically a calorie and fitness logging tool. You can eat whatever you want but you have to exercise portion control. The last time I was on there I lost a stack of weight and really tightened up, and after the first week I found it so darned easy I wished I had done it years ago.
I love the way you can enter in the ingredients of a recipe and it calculates the nutritional value of the meal.

103F on my back porch this afternoon. Unheard of in June. Grilled chicken breasts and threw together an orzo salad with marinated artichoke hearts, fresh herbs, olives, sun dried tomatoes, a little feta and odds and ends of vegies that needed to be used.

We made two wine-butt chickens on the grill, then DH grilled corn and sliced zucchini for sides.

One of my neighbors died of cancer last week; he was only 58. Tomorrow I'm taking one of the chickens, potato salad and zucchini-tomato salad to his family.

We made two wine-butt chickens on the grill, then DH grilled corn and sliced zucchini for sides.

One of my neighbors died of cancer last week; he was only 58. Tomorrow I'm taking one of the chickens, potato salad and zucchini-tomato salad to his family.
That's so considerate of you. A friend of mine said that the food people brought was pretty much the most helpful thing anyone did when she had to deal with her father's funeral and estate.

We were going to grill burgers, but it has been raining all day and it's chilly. The loaded salad I had planned as backup had no appeal, because we wanted warm food. We went to Mckibbins Irish pub. I had bangers and mash and Stirling had a bison burger. Both meals were tasty and filling and warm.

TB had some of last night's grilled salmon and I just had a cranberry oatmeal muffin as I am in a pretty rough pain flare today. The chicken wings will be held over until tomorrow!

DH's favorite -- breakfast dinner. Poached eggs on toast, sausage links, and cantaloup.

Day Two of cold and rain. Thankfully, I had a rotisserie chicken in the fridge. I made the intended chicken salad with some of the breast meat, and a nice pot of chicken veggie soup with the rest of the white and all of the dark meat. So good and warming. It danged well better warm up tomorrow because Himself will be sent out to grill the shrimp and scallops no matter what!

Today I'm making both some TVP cabbage rolls for the husband, and pork ones for me. No tomatoes here. It's all about the sauerkraut in this house. Well, it has to be, or my husband won't eat them...
I bet you could put his version in a small casserole dish with the kraut, put your better-version ones in a second casserole with tomatoes, and you could both enjoy YOUR way! ;) A nice pile of mashed taters would be good under either of those...

...One of my neighbors died of cancer last week; he was only 58. Tomorrow I'm taking one of the chickens, potato salad and zucchini-tomato salad to his family.
Sorry to hear this. It seems like you have a close-knit neighborhood, so it must feel a little like losing a distant relative. I've always thought the food thing was a great idea. Like a hug to the family.

It seems a rash of youngster are dying. A close friend of our son just passed away within the past week. 45. Melanoma. Then, in my FB newsfeed, a friend from back home posted an article about the older brother of our son's grade school friend died in a multi-car accident on his way home. He was only 36. ALL of them seem too young to go...:(

I bet you could put his version in a small casserole dish with the kraut, put your better-version ones in a second casserole with tomatoes, and you could both enjoy YOUR way! ;) A nice pile of mashed taters would be good under either of those...

Actually. . . Heh, I ended up just making a whole bunch for him and made myself more of those pork schnitzel meatballs, because they were good. Now he's got lunches for a few days, and so do I. Win-win.

I ate some of the meatballs for lunch, and while he had cabbage rolls for dinner, I had a really nice rib eye a butcher friend dropped off at the house in payment for something my husband did for him. (I love it. My vegetarian husband gets paid in steaks.)

Sorry to hear this. It seems like you have a close-knit neighborhood, so it must feel a little like losing a distant relative. I've always thought the food thing was a great idea. Like a hug to the family.

Yes, the neighborhood is pretty close. We were both on the civic league board at the same time we've been to lots of neighborhood parties over the years. He was a sweet, wonderful man. He and his wife were foster parents and adopted 6 children. Plus, she was in the hospital for several days right after his death. I want to help her out.

Back
Top Bottom