What's cooking Sunday Sept 18th?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Taking the day off from cooking and going to the in-laws for dinner tonite. Starting with an artichoke appetizer, then roasted chicken, baked eggplant and steamed broccoli. Not sure about dessert.

We're having chili with lots of beans, peppers, tomatoes, onion, and broccoli pureee, served over rice with some cheddar on top and a nice green salad on the side. :)

I'll let you know how it comes out, Kayelle. I'll probably make it during the week sometime.

My Indianapolis inspired sandwich was fantastic. I said elsewhere that I love breaded chicken sandwiches, so should love this... I will say, breaded pork tenderloin is way better than breaded chicken on a sandwich.
The corn casserole went down well, too.

Attachments

• breaded tenderloin sandwich.jpg
    breaded tenderloin sandwich.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 277
i've just finished making a weird, throw together soup. in went grapeseed oil sauteed sweet onions and 8 cloves of sliced, toasted garlic, bell and frying peppers, tomatoes, carrots, fennel - diced bulb and seed, kale, dried shiitakes, maggi sauce, chicken stock, water, lamb shank bones, and a coupla locatelli rinds.

my god this stuff is good.

it'll be better tomorrow.

periodically filling my coffee mug throughout the day from the pea soup pot on the stove, set at below low....this batch is the bomb! i had no ham hocks, no ham bone--nothing but bacon and some salt pork. i had finally tried out my new bacon press, producing a lovely panful of thick slab bacon...my mom, an alzheimer's patient and until today, a lifelong bacon lover, rejected my bacon strips, saying they were salty and not to her liking. soo, i crumbled up the rest of the bacon, tossed it into a pot along with some salt pork and a cup+ whole dried peas (unsoaked) and 1/2 pot water. 3+ hours later, i had one of the best tasting pea soups ever. all i was missing were the smoked pork hocks i'd usually be eating with the soup. oh and mom approved of this soup with a rare second helping.... :)

Pac, your sammie is gorgeous! It looks really crunchy.

BT, I like the idea of your soup!

Vit, pea soup is a fave!

Thanks, Dawg. The panko and corn meal made a nice breading.

We are having roasted Cornish hens, baked sweet potatoes, and roasted asparagus

We liked it!! The little brown-eyed girl made her usual French Vanilla Custard....Sans sugar an Condensed Milk...We only made a small amount...maybe a quart...Froze it in this thing-a-ma-jiggy that you put in your freezer over night...Pour in the cold custard,,,,and turn it every couple of minutes....It got firm soft serve frozen....After taking the dasher out and licking....er I mean scraping it off we put the whole thing in the freezer...it firmed up nicely....Not very sweet,,,but sweet enough....texture not quite as smooth had it been regular ice cream....For someone looking to cut Carbs...avoiding refined sugar, etc. It was a winner.

could you post the custard recipe? this sounds like something i should try. i have an ice cream maker that i have never even opened the box on. always looking for a way to cut sugar and carbs. :chef:

buckytom said:
i've just finished making a weird, throw together soup. in went grapeseed oil sauteed sweet onions and 8 cloves of sliced, toasted garlic, bell and frying peppers, tomatoes, carrots, fennel - diced bulb and seed, kale, dried shiitakes, maggi sauce, chicken stock, water, lamb shank bones, and a coupla locatelli rinds.

my god this stuff is good.

it'll be better tomorrow.

Don't you love it when a throw together comes out amazing?

Pac, that sandwich looks fantastic.

We're having whole wheat pancakes with mashed strawberries on top.

I'll let you know how it comes out, Kayelle. I'll probably make it during the week sometime.

My Indianapolis inspired sandwich was fantastic. I said elsewhere that I love breaded chicken sandwiches, so should love this... I will say, breaded pork tenderloin is way better than breaded chicken on a sandwich.
The corn casserole went down well, too.

which way did you end up doing your breading? great golden crisp looking pork--and i know it's every bit as good tasting cold, maybe better even. at my house, crispy breaded pork chops never see tomorrow....:pig:

Thank you p.a.g. and Vit!

I ended up going right from the marinade right into the breading, Vit. I meant to post that in that other thread... maybe I still will.
Yesterday I was thinking I would double dip it, but today I decided I would do it like the recipe said depending on how the meat looked when pulled from the marinade, and that marinade was really coating the meat well when I lifted it out, so straight into the crumbs it went. I wouldn't change a thing. And I did make an extra piece :)

I made a big pan of lasagna with lots of cheese. Mmmmm cheeeeeeesee :LOL:

Salad and bread-n-butter on the side.

Moroccan-style couscous with garlic, onion, zucchini, turnip, carrot, chickpeas, tomatoes, raisins, chicken broth, harissa, etc.

Andy! Have you been peeking in my fridge to see where I hide my lemons? ;) I only have 2 left and I'm making sure no one else can find them.

I will also confess to feeling a rise in anxiety when I pull the last bottle of lemon juice off the pantry shelves, and plan a trip to Costco ASAP!

Pac, you really think I might need a 12 step program? Doesn't EVERYONE use this much lemon juice???? :LOL:

I don't think I used that much lemon juice in my fishing days, Alix.
And even then it was mostly to clean the fish smell off my hands :LOL:

But a little bit of lemon just brightens everything up...makes it perky. Wouldn't you like to be perky? Heh heh heh! Or zesty?

OK, I'm shutting up now before I say something else. :LOL:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom